PDA

View Full Version : Went creek riding...

Stickman400
07-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Well today I went out creek riding with a couple buddys and had a great time. I had the paddles on it and it ran great as long as I went slow into a water hole, it pulled right through it. Anyway I tried going through a deep spot that some of the 4x4s had a hard time with and it went right through it and then died right as I started to ride out of it. Well I took my fenders off and my airbox was about half full with water and sand. I got it running again and got it running great for the rest of the day all the way back home but I'm just wondering what I should do to make sure nothing inside the carb. rusts. I know it sucked in water and when I pump the throttle it doesn't sound the same as before. Like there is water on top of the slide or something. I'm gunna change the filter out and put my K&N back on with an outerwear aswell. Anyway anyone know if I should tear it apart and check it or just leave it be?

On another note I let my friend ride the 450 with my 20" Razr 2s on it and it didn't die or get stuck once, kind of odd since it sits so damn low.

CJM
07-01-2012, 08:43 PM
When I went swimming with mine I took apart EVERYTHING. The carb had sand and mud inside it a bit (mostly sand) and I had to clean everything with a fine tooth comb.

Stickman400
07-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Well it didn't go completely under, just up to the airbox, but it still got water in the engine so I guess it's about the same ordeal. I guess I'll tear the carb. apart and clean it all out. I was thinking of pulling the plug and making sure there isn't any water left in the cylinder, but it would burn up as soon as it got hot wouldn't it? Also I've been having to pump the throttle and crank it quite a few times to ge it started when it's cold even though it's 70 degrees in my shop. I have a 55 pilot, should I throw that in to help, or would it make it worse?

CJM
07-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Should start fine with a 52 pilot in there, I got a 50 in mine and it cranks right over. maybe adjust the a/f screw a bit?

I would take the plug out and crank it over to ensure no waters in there. Id also change the oil after letting it warm up a good bit.

When it happened to me it took 2 oil changes and alot of cleaning to get running right.

2001400exrida
07-02-2012, 10:46 AM
a 400ex is not a creek monster, either prepare yourself with a water tight airbox and snorkel or prepare yourself for costly repairs!

Stickman400
07-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Well mine did just fine, and it's setup for MX and XC.

on the rocks
07-02-2012, 03:05 PM
i wheel mine in creeks and v notches, i avoid water though. ironic i know but thats where the rocks are lol

pics of places where the 400 has its most fun lol

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad194/sas10_bucket/4%20wheeler/hundoflex.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad194/sas10_bucket/4%20wheeler/400ex3.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad194/sas10_bucket/4%20wheeler/defeat.jpg

Stickman400
07-03-2012, 01:46 AM
Those look fun but the creek I ride in is about 100' across and is pretty much a dried up small river. So it's just sand bar after sand bar and every now and then there is a deep water hole that you either have to go around or go through. It's fun when it's hot out because you can just go blasting down it and get sprayed with water every 50 foot to keep you cooled off.

Stickman400
07-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Well I tore it all the way down today and took the carb apart and found nothing in the carb. itself. I did install that 55 pilot just to try it out and sprayed everything out with carb. cleaner just to be sure. Also pulled the plug and turned it over to ensure there was no water on the cylinder, checked the valves (they were perfect) and changed the oil. The oil was a little milky, but not as bad as I've seen. The only thing I found was a few particles of sand (and I do mean particles) in the intake boot on the engine side and between the zrpilot adapter and carb. Other than that I just cleaned the airbox and snorkel out and let them dry and re-assembled everything and put my K&N back in with the Outerwear. I also threw in a 200 main since I'm still not stumbling at WOT, figured what the heck. It started right up without any throttle pumping. Before that 55 pilot I had to pump it 3 times and then crank it and then do that again about 3 or 4 times before it started. Anyway here is a pic of the plug after riding it, no plug chop. Looks about perfect.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Quad%20Pics/IMAG0642.jpg

JOHNDOE83
07-03-2012, 08:09 PM
That looks like some sweet riding spots man! :D

I always went for the most technical stuff that my buddys wouldnt touch, looks like a lot of fun there. I like the pic of it wedged on the rocks......:macho

on the rocks
07-04-2012, 07:37 AM
that how me and my one buddy are. the more technical the better.

Stickman400
07-06-2012, 10:49 PM
I tried messing with the jetting again on my 400 and got all the way up to a 220 main and still didn't have any kind of stumble at WOT when riding it. It did pull like a freakin' mule though. I know a 220 is insane to have in it with my mods so should I lower it down or leave it in?

Stickman400
07-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Anyone?

Stickman400
07-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Nobody thinks a 220 main is a bit overkill?:eek2:

Stickman400
07-09-2012, 09:44 AM
I guess I'll throw in a new plug and run it like that for awhile. Rode it all day yesterday and didn't have a problem. Pulled strong and hard from top to bottom.