PDA

View Full Version : Score!!!!

crlt250r
07-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Might be picking up a just rebuilt 89 Zilla next month.... :-D

cdrookie
07-01-2012, 10:05 PM
"MIGHT" be picking it up next month isn't "score"...

wait till you actually own it. and it may, or may not, be a score depending on the price and who rebuilt it...:rolleyes:

crlt250r
07-02-2012, 05:12 AM
Thanks for being a buzzkill.

cdrookie
07-02-2012, 08:39 AM
no problem, that's why i'm here...

89trx250r
07-02-2012, 09:02 AM
I ****ing hate kids like you cdrookie do us all a favor and go **** yourself and never comeback...Sorry the guy was excited he might have a lead on a zilla...

crlt250r
07-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Wow..... Let's just put it this way, I know that bike very well. It belonged to one of my riding partners. He sold it with a worn out top end 8 months ago to a machinist. Mike is a dirtbike guy, and really doesn't have too much interest in quads, other than buying good deals and flipping them. So yeah, its going to be finished in about a month, back to stock spec with the exception of the cool head. He's already done the proper machining to correct the squish as well. I've got first dibs when he's done. How does it sound now.....

cdrookie
07-02-2012, 09:40 AM
calm down junior, i'm almost 40:macho whenever you KIDS get old enough you'll find out that life is the biggest "buzzkill" of all times. know how many times i've been excited about stuff, and it never came to be? you'll learn not to count your chickens before they hatch, someday...

and cursing, knowing that it can't show up, is about as mature as putting haha and lol after every sentence.

Zakradu398
07-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Whats so special? My local CL alone has like 6 different ones?

And some look damn nice

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/3100132983.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/3089346623.html

crlt250r
07-02-2012, 10:47 AM
It's pretty silly how some people get bent out of shape. Quickly reminds me of why I have spent much less time here lately.

For one, to say that life is a buzzkill... Nice. Maybe with a more positive Outlook on life, you would have had more positive experience in your life.

Two, when built properly, and Suzukis built in faults corrected on that 500 motor, there is nothing out there, stock for stock, that can touch one. A properly tuned and maintained LT500 is just as reliable as any of the other 2 strokes as well.

Check out some of Dr. Q's videos, direct from the Q lab. Q is just one of the many Zilla Gurus out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3UxMK_7b00&feature=youtube_gdata_player

01boneless
07-02-2012, 08:25 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/2z5ksxj.gif

Drfat400ex
07-02-2012, 09:10 PM
:chinese:
http://i45.tinypic.com/zv30pd.png

chucked
07-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Not a score till its in your garage! Ive had way more deals fall through than deals that were made.

crlt250r
07-03-2012, 06:03 AM
It is a score. Just depends on your perception. Just to find this particular bike that I have ridden personally, is a score in itself. All the negativity around here will not affect anything on my end. Once it goes up for sale, and I have the ability to buy it, that would be a completely separate score..

Zakradu398
07-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Wasn't trying to make everyone all butthurt. Just wondering what the big deal is. It's an unreliable , ill-handling quad that is everywhere.

crlt250r
07-03-2012, 10:30 AM
The belief that the zillas are unreliable is true, to an extent.. They did have problems with detonation, and blowing head gaskets. Two very easy and simple fixes. Detonation is cured by correcting the squish angle on the head. Already done. Blown head gaskets are fixed by simply eliminating the head stay because the torque of the engine itself twists the frame, and can rip the head apart. Using billet thrust washers on the wrist pin, and running a turned down RM250 wrist pin bearing fixes the issues caused by the junk factory design on the wrist pin as well. As for ill handling.... Yeah, they aren't the best, but the bump steer is very easily corrected for under 100 bucks.

Gotta remember now,the Zilla was loosely based on the lt250r. The lt250r was the very first production race quad, and even though Suzuki didn't quite nail the geometry like Honda did, the Quadracers are still pretty relavent in their own right.

You can go anywhere and see nice trx's, but I personally enjoy being out on my LT. I would though, really like to have that big 500 smoker sitting next to my baby Zilla.

HondaRacing83
07-03-2012, 10:45 AM
My dad had a quadzilla, he said it handled like a pig, it was the biggest pita to start but when it was running it ran. i guess it was pretty fast but hecsaid he still prefered his banshees

finsteratv
07-03-2012, 10:49 AM
sweet dude, 500 is a ton of power!

crlt250r
07-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Does it really matter if your dad or your buddy down the road, or your cousins best friends neighbors uncle rode one? If you've never ridden a properly tuned 500, don't create an opinion. And a banshee? LOL, that's great as long as you don't mind spinning that twin at 6000 receive just to get any power... I owned a 4 mil stroked Shee just long enough to ride, tune, ride again and sell. Even the stroker had less low end power than my 250.

If the opportunity presents itself though, I'll be doing a z400 or LTR450/500 Zilla hybrid. That will take care of the handling aspect.

Zakradu398
07-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Just as you mentioned you had to spend money to correct the issues the zilla comes with stock. A banshee can be made into a torque monster with correct pipes and porting.

Dug your own grave there :devil:

Not bashing you btw. Just stating my friendly opinion. :) Remember, opinions are like arse holes, everybody got one and some people's STINK! :)

crlt250r
07-03-2012, 11:36 AM
On the opinions... Very true. We all have our preferences when it comes to the machines we ride. I prefer 2 strokes while many others prefer 4's. No different than the street riders that prefer Metrics over Harleys. Thing is, last I checked, 20 minutes of machining and a set of billet washers cost less than a pair of pipes for a Shee. I've had a Shee, a trx, two LTR250's, and way back when, a Tecate3. The Suzuki just feels better to me for the places I ride. I don't run mx, or blast off 50+ foot jumps. Mostly all just trail riding.

Zakradu398
07-03-2012, 11:41 AM
If it works for you that's all that matters. ****, if I was getting another 1980 trimoto 125 I'd be excited. Carry on bro. ;)

HondaRacing83
07-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Its to each there own, ive never personally rode quadracers or quadzillas but ive sat on one and it was ok. sorta uncomfortable but i have rode a banshee and i loveeee it

finsteratv
07-03-2012, 12:36 PM
My dad in 85 had a lt250r when they were the big thing and he said they were cool till the quadzilla's came and dusted everyone haha..Someday I hope to build one for him and I think the old LT's are sweet!

crlt250r
07-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Thanks Finster! Many people do prefer the Shee over the LT, they just feel too tall and narrow to me, and the lack of bottom end power is kinda crappy. Even with my 250, from a crawl, I can spin it around by just burping the throttle, and not even touching the clutch. The only Shee I've ridden with that kind of torque is my friend Richards. Then again, he was running a 6 mil cheetah with hand coned pipes.

Zakradu398
07-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Strokes for a banshee go 4,7,10,14,16,18,20..etc No 6 mil :p

Even then, 7 mils are stricly drag because they are just over the limit needing case trenching and not worth it compared to a 10.

Just tryin to bust your balls

crlt250r
07-03-2012, 03:48 PM
LOL, my balls feel perfectly fine... Was just going by what I was told when I rode the quad. I do know that it had a set of really sweet hand cones, and had the powervalve cylinders. It ran really strong, and had a LONG powerband. Not that typical light switch effect. :macho

axellmusic19
07-04-2012, 01:00 PM
On the reliability note: They are better than rumored. As long as you do the things you've listed, then you're fine.

On the power note: They can range anywhere from faster than hell to godspeed.

On the price point and rebuild note: UNPRECEDENTED importance that it was rebuilt properly and it will run fantastic.

I have rebuilt my LT250R engine from the bottom up every nut and bolt custom, OEM/NOS, or aftermarket and all work done by myself. There is not a part on the bike I haven't modified, or customized by paint or hardware in someway, and I haven't spent hardly anything but time doing so. I race every single weekend against open class 450+'s and I do just fine. And that is just with a 250cc. I never will forget the time when I wanted to make sure a bolt in the tranny was tight and I tore down the whole bike between motos. There is nothing like the confidence of knowing a machine through and through and understanding why it is the way it is by your own hands. Congrats on the find, and I must quote a fellow man, "Zillas are like the sasquache of quads. Everybody knows somebody's friend's dad who has one, yet nobody has ridden them or owned them and anything to do with them especially parts are equally as rare."
That being said, they are a blast. My favorite part about any LTXXXR is that they have a wonderful community built around them with the most helpful people. I never would own another quad due to the ease of ownership and pride of what I have. Hope you enjoy it if it turns out! Let the weird looks, and hating begin, but just go and ride. :)

crlt250r
07-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by axellmusic19
On the reliability note: They are better than rumored. As long as you do the things you've listed, then you're fine.

On the power note: They can range anywhere from faster than hell to godspeed.

On the price point and rebuild note: UNPRECEDENTED importance that it was rebuilt properly and it will run fantastic.

I have rebuilt my LT250R engine from the bottom up every nut and bolt custom, OEM/NOS, or aftermarket and all work done by myself. There is not a part on the bike I haven't modified, or customized by paint or hardware in someway, and I haven't spent hardly anything but time doing so. I race every single weekend against open class 450+'s and I do just fine. And that is just with a 250cc. I never will forget the time when I wanted to make sure a bolt in the tranny was tight and I tore down the whole bike between motos. There is nothing like the confidence of knowing a machine through and through and understanding why it is the way it is by your own hands. Congrats on the find, and I must quote a fellow man, "Zillas are like the sasquache of quads. Everybody knows somebody's friend's dad who has one, yet nobody has ridden them or owned them and anything to do with them especially parts are equally as rare."
That being said, they are a blast. My favorite part about any LTXXXR is that they have a wonderful community built around them with the most helpful people. I never would own another quad due to the ease of ownership and pride of what I have. Hope you enjoy it if it turns out! Let the weird looks, and hating begin, but just go and ride. :)

I couldn't have said it better myself. I absolutely love my 250. Even though I'm running an RM motor, its still a Quadracer. What you said about the QR community, you are 100% right. As a member of QRHQ, its amazing how helpful and welcoming they are. Most of us are extremely open to riding with other quads of all types. We don't bash another guys ride, we just know that we have the original quadracers, and being the first ones made, is just as good as being the first one to cross the finish line. Quadracers forever :-)

CNC_guy
07-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Loved my Quadzilla. It's hard to explain one to someone that hasn't ridden one. It was a total rush to ride and after I fixed the problems you listed, it was as reliable as anything else from that era. Well, maybe not as reliable as my 250R, but darn close. It helped that I have unlimited use of a machine shop though. ;)