PDA

View Full Version : Bad Starter Solenoid?

ansimation
06-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Yesterday my son's 426 was working nicely and he parked it for a little while and when he jumped back on, the start button didn't do anything when pressed. I've checked all the wires around the battery and what not and I don't see any broken wires or anything. When this happens on my bike it's usually because I broke a wire since it's a damn rat's nest. Anyway I thought I'd grab a screw driver and jump the 2 screws on the solenoid to see if it starts. It doesn't do anything. No sparks, no turning the engine over, nothing.

What's your guys take on this? Does it sound like it's the solenoid to you?

powerbomb400
06-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Check the fuse and make sure it isn't blown. When you turn the key on does the neutral light come on? Also go from the battery straight to the starter. See the starter turns over. Mine did that and it was a blown fuse. The wire going to the solenoid had rubbed and was shorting out and blowing fuses.

ansimation
06-29-2012, 11:22 AM
I just did that actually, I pulled the 20A out of mine and put it in his where there was a 15A. Which one is correct? The 15A? Anyway when I put the 20A in I noticed the neutral light was on then when I hit the button I heard a click and the neutral light went out. But the fuse looks ok and after I put it back in mine it seems to wants to work ( My battery is dead and wont turn it over but it sounds like it's getting juice to the starter still )

CJM
06-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Volt meter, good battery will read 12V o so.

That checks out good, by pass solenoid and use battery ground and jump starter. Starter works, poss bad solenoid.

Check the ground at battery and at frame as well. Also check wiring at starter. I had a similar issue and it turned out wire on the starter wasnt making enough contact.

I cant recall the spec but if you put the volt meter on the solenoid contacts when you hit the button it should read a certain resistance.

dxcody
06-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Im gonna venture out and say bad starter.