PDA

View Full Version : Stage 6 R/T engine ignition timing ???

scanno
06-28-2012, 09:31 PM
So with a stage 6 r/t and a penton pvl what should I do to set the timing? Will this ignition even work with this engine? I assume it would because I bolted up the stock ignition to hear it run and worked pretty well if you ask me...

redonkulousruntsracing
06-29-2012, 06:09 AM
3.6mm btdc or .142"
The penton PVL should work fine.

mmsoup
06-29-2012, 07:35 PM
You may want to look at that timing. The 3.6 advance is for a 44mm stroke crank used with a Stage 6 digital PVL.

If you are using an analog PVL on a Stage 6 R/T 70cc cylinder try something between 1.5mm and 1.8mm BTDC. The closer to TDC you fire, the cooler it will run but you lose performance as you retard the ignition point............

redonkulousruntsracing
06-29-2012, 07:55 PM
I skipped over the analog part, the numbers I gave were for the digital ignition. 1.8 -to 2.0 mm is a good starting point for the analog.

scanno
06-29-2012, 09:50 PM
I just finished setting up at 3.6mm, I was getting on here to thank you runt it ran great but probably wouldn't very long. Thanks for the extra homework guys I will readjust tomorrow...

scanno
07-04-2012, 06:04 PM
So now that I have the process figured out to set the timing I would also like to check my 2 fast so on a 44mm stroke with a penton analog ignition what should it be set at? The R/T runs awesome... Thanks again... My 2fast is currently at .075 btdc and I have been chasing a bog at low end, am I looking in the right direction?

mmsoup
07-08-2012, 10:37 AM
I like the current ignition setting, primarily because the motor runs so high with a great pipe. You could fairly quickly move the ignition point to 1.5mm and that may help on start up and at the bottom.

I would address the pilot and probably the needle first. Low end is a relative term and I usually have a needle problem when the quad leaps, puffs then leaps again once cleared out. try dropping the needle one step (move the clip up)

It that sounds about right, try that because if you can clear it up with jetting, you can keep the "safer" ignition timing

scanno
07-10-2012, 09:19 PM
The low end bog I was talking about was a WOT from loaded clutch, like loading up to take off when the gate drops. I fixed it with jetting raising pilot and adjusting air screw after Lucky from LCS racing listened to it.

Another guy (Scott from ATV World) who has run a Penton analog PVL and setup alot of 2fast motors advised me to run at .102" btdc for the stroke and rod length and it runs great, EGT did not seem too bad either.

Seem to radical? When or at what temperature would I have an issue with EGT?

mmsoup
07-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Sounds like they have you covered. Good luck at the races!