PDA

View Full Version : Bought a 400EX!

blakeman556
06-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Hello all, I just recently bought a 2004 yellow 400ex. It's all stock except for Moose CR bend handlebars. For $1400 i cant complain too much at all! What i was wondering is if there are any things that i should check out or replace on a 8 year old quad? The previous owner replaced the timing chain already. Also compared to my brothers Z the clutch and throttle seem quite stiff. Normal? or should I replace the cables?
Any noobie knowledge of these quads would be awesome
Thanks.

Drfat400ex
06-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Check the carrier bearings, they're pretty much always worn out, and I would definatly change those cables, last thing you need is to be out in the middle of no where and snap a throttle cable. Check alignment, see if the shocks are good and not blown out, in fact I'd replace them with 450r or yfz shocks but just my opinion. Check the valves if you know how but if he actually did just replace the timing chain he probably did that already.

CJM
06-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Check the carrier and swingarm bearings.

rockbrook
06-27-2012, 08:19 PM
how do we check our swingarm and carrier bearings? what should we look for in worn bearings? i never really checked mine neither on my 03' when i bought it.

Drfat400ex
06-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Well the carrier bearings you can check if you take the quad off the ground and the axle wiggles back and forth, or up and down or if you put it in gear and let it run and the axle looks like it's bent for a bit but doesn't do it after a couple minutes. Or when youre riding you might hear crunching and feel it move.