PDA

View Full Version : National Parents we need to talk

Hetrick Racing
06-27-2012, 06:51 AM
PLEASE
Someone organize a meeting for Friday after practice, so we can all get together and voice our concerns, this will be a chance to speak up about any concern you may have.Just let me know when you guys want to do it ...we can meet anywhere you like, my rig is fine as well.
Then i will go and voice these to the proper people.
We have not done this in a while and it is past due.

thequadfather+2
06-27-2012, 07:03 AM
If you just want to name the time Rich we can make sure the others are aware. A couple of us would like to come by and listen-in. Your rig is probably the easiest to identify.

#404's Dad
06-27-2012, 08:20 AM
I'll be there whatever time I need to be.

Logan #34's Dad
06-28-2012, 12:27 AM
Great idea!

How about an email to send suggestions too for those that won't be there?

I got one real quick i'll throw out for opinion, How about making the cc limit the same as it is in the bikes for the Super-Mini class. In the dirtbike world the 150R races against 112cc 2strokes. We push 125 more pounds than the bikes so we need more than 105.....IMO. Don't know if ya all watch the Supermini class but it's dominated by the 150's.......which makes it hard to afford (a national 150 ain't cheap!) A 112 can be built for 1/2 of what a 150 goes for and be maintained for 1/4......

Is this the type suggestions your looking for Mr.H?

fish-d-fish
06-28-2012, 06:02 AM
If the time changes from 5:15 let me know otherwise I will be there too. Thank you for initiating this.
The Hetzers

Ryko racing
06-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Rich, we are done for the year but maybe they could have 1 450 class that allowed kids from schoolboy sr to race thus giving them a step up to the big bikes. Just a suggestion. ( and lets say if you ran these classes you could not compete in the other 450 classes. Tha t would preserve the 400 cc limit and allow 1 more class.)

in snowmobile racing they had classes set up like this and it seemed to work. just a thought.

jay-r
06-28-2012, 09:57 AM
We are not going to make it to Ohio. I have a couple of suggestions. First, make the 50 sr class a single speed class. The Cobras can't match the acceleration and top speed of the fast DRRs like Henson and Lindquist. They are not running in 50sr, but they legally could.

Also, run the girls classes seperate. The double gate has cost us one overall this year by catching the back of the girls sr class and having a wreck happen right in front of Jordyn while she was leading the girls jr class.

Thanks for asking. :D

Cobra50Dad
06-28-2012, 10:15 AM
I agree. The 50 sr class needs to only be Cobras allowed since there is a separate CVT class. I'll be sure to mention that since we will be there.

#404's Dad
06-28-2012, 11:12 AM
There was a lot of complaining last year about CVTs in 70SS, This year it is no longer allowed and the gate is a ghost town.

Heard a guy in staging last round talking about WTH happened, last year that class was big lol, I guess my point is, Careful what you ask for, you might get it.

I have no idea how many 50SS quads there are so maybe the same wouldn't happen?

Not being a smartass at all just looking at what happened in that class and voicing my opinion.

neveready
06-28-2012, 12:04 PM
And then maybe make a class just for yellow bikes, and then one just for bikes with the number 6, and then.... come on guys, we already have 35 classes. The numbers are down to rock bottom but everyone still wants to moan and groan, I'll attend the meeting and voice my opinions.

I have to agree with #404 here, it was sad to watch the kid in 70ss podium after making only one complete lap at high point.

I'm just happy to have to ability to race!!

Cobra50Dad
06-28-2012, 12:37 PM
There are usually 10-12 cobras in the 50 sr class so taking cvts out wouldn't hurt. I don't mind if the put all 50s together in one class and making it huge but our point is if they are going to separate classes then they need to do it completely on both sides. I agree the 70ss class has struggled. When they ask for the split the class had double digit cobras but now they have all moved out or quit coming. I hate that for those kids. I guess there's no clear solution and it's a tough choice for someone to have to make. We can only give opinions.

Ryko racing
06-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Are the classes competitive? From watching the races i think that as a whole the answer is YES. Unfortunately we all cant have a class that we can win in. ( i raced Cobras for 3 yrs so we were on the other end when they were dominating).

The goal is to get 20 riders on a gate that are close in ability and performance. By separating rules over and aver it will eventually thin out the classes as we see in the 70 ss class.

Its crazy , now i see bike shifter motors in a production class. Whats next?

hwf-racing
06-29-2012, 01:38 PM
There is quite a few of us who have Hybrid 250s. Lonestar frames with crf 250 or kaw 250 engines. myself i have a Raptor 250 with a CRF 250 engine. we really need a spot for this class. this class is called Quadyouth where we race. Have a lot of money invested in these quads and cant race at the national circuit:ermm: Help us out Rich!!!!!!!! Thanks Derek

jay-r
06-29-2012, 05:16 PM
We are not talking about adding a class. We are asking to preserve the Cobras. All it will take is a couple of fast CVTs to run and dominate the 50sr class and everyone will sell out of the single speed Cobras or stop coming. When the CVTs couldn't compete with Cobras, they got their own class. Now the Cobras struggle to compete with CVTs. So, just split them legally. Right now, that wouldn't change the class sizes. The Cobra 50 riders will be moving up to the 70ss class. Not sure what is going on with the 70ss class right now, maybe they were split too late and everyone jumped ship.

The Cobras are a good platform to move up with, just as the DRRs. If they die out in the 50s, then everyone will be on CVTs through 90cc.

hwf-racing
06-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Last year Eli hopkins won the 70ss on his Cobra battiling aganist a cvt...I think it was Holly. Point is not a strong argument with cobras and cvts!!! You need as many quads on the gate u can get. I think 70ss has 3 or 4 on the gate. We need more quads racing, Period! Our local was so strong two years ago now its horrible. Look at the pros,lucky to get 12 on the gate.

Steve97
06-29-2012, 07:01 PM
What about allowing mods to run the girls class i dont see any difference betwwen a mod and a cobra with half a rm motor in it. i know we can run the mod class but would be nice to run two classes. we wont be at this race but if someone can bring this up i would like to kno the answer and reason. THANKS

leager-n-ky
06-30-2012, 12:11 PM
We have a Raptor 250 with a Lonestar frame, and can not race a national. I dont think a stronger, heavier frame is giving my son an unfair advantage. Make a class, or change a rule to where he race.

RCR_531
06-30-2012, 04:30 PM
What about gate fees? You can wrap up a lot of money if you bring your whole family to an event.

Also we have shown up after Friday practice but still get charged as if we were there for the whole day. When I raced bikes after the days event was over they charge the next days price at the gate.

Logan #34's Dad
07-01-2012, 10:05 PM
It all comes down to the oh mighty dollar. The promoter have to make there money - unfortunately, it ALL comes from WE amateurs. without us the Pro's do not exist.
I am not a business man but, I believe if the costs come down - more people will come and they will still make their money. The vendors will then make more money. We ALL win that way.
Here's a lil story I heard this weekend, a gentleman approached the ATVA about sponsoring a holeshot award for 5 amateur classes per weekend (to be chosen by random draw each weekend. 5 races at $100 each equals $500 per weekend - times 10 equals $5000. He was told that's would be great BUT out of that $5000 the AMA will take 1/2 of that as part of the AMA regulations. No if ands or buts. So of course he didn't like that because that was not the intention........... Gotta love it!
For me and my family, its all the little fees and costs that bother me. Such as having to pay for a pit vehicle...I totally understand having to register them for a way to make me responsible for it. How about this weekend at Sunday Creek, WE HAD TO PAY FOR POTIBLE (RV) WATER!
My ideas: hold practice on Saturday up till noon. Start racing at 1o'clock. Its daylight until 8p.... This saves everyone from having to take so much time off work. Does anyone race locally where u practice the whole day b4? Still charge us for the practice (promoter needs to make $). Next, have a descending fee scale for multiple classes run. $40 for 1st class, $30 for 2nd, $25 for all the rest. Next, have a "family" gate fee. (and in what world is a 12 year old an ADULT!). Next, how about an online sign-up - that IF you use it, you save a couple bucks.
Finally, chose ONE promoter. How can we expect consistency when the people running the show are constantly changing. When there is an issue and it gets brought up and "fixed" it could stay fixed....when another group comes in and don't know how prior issues were handled how can we keep things running smooth?
There's my two cents......

Ryko racing
07-02-2012, 07:18 AM
Rocky, you have a good point. Un fortunately for Ryan the cost finally caught up w me. Thus we will have to race local or quit altogether.

I know racing is expensive in all areas so any type of help is good. But with that said our rider count seems to be way down this year and cutting fees wont help the promoters immediate needs. We need the OEM to step up and support the sport. Its pretty sad to see a rider train his whole l ife to be a top pro and not even be able to earn enough to race let alone make any type of living.

I look at the Pro pits and see how thin they look and it is not very pretty a picture.

LT80
07-02-2012, 07:25 AM
So what was talked about at the meeting?

edwardsp&b
07-02-2012, 10:23 AM
LT80 So what was talked about at the meeting?

I wasnt there.......but from what I heard it wasnt what everybody figured it would be. The higher ups only care about how much they make, and not how the series runs...... Sad.....but this sport is coming to an end.....
In the end, money and greed is what ruined it.

Bryan

Ryko racing
07-02-2012, 10:35 AM
There is an old saying" pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered".

Its a shame . But on the good note maybe it will open the door for some local promoters to give it a try .

I think it would be cool if a few local series had maybe 4 - 5 weekend BIG RACES like the bikes had with Lk whitney in the past. ( i think it would draw a good crowd.)

Maybe Mich, Indiana, illinois district have one , CRA have one , Victory have one, and heck pay money . People will come, i just am sad to come to race and see only a dozen Pro riders. If there is no reason to become a professional , then it is a waste of money and time.

Maybe this will pave the way for a Lorettas type of qualifier system with one Championship race. Who knows.......We will survive either way.

#404's Dad
07-02-2012, 12:14 PM
I completely forgot about the meeting, from what I heard it was nothing like I thought or anyone else thought it was gonna be about??

RCR_531
07-03-2012, 07:34 PM
I really like the online sign up. When I raced bikes, it was all done before I got to the track. No long lines and no need for the extra help to work sign up. It also made the races cheaper if you signed up online.

If they want to make more money, they should try promoting the events. I live 40 minutes from Sunset and never seen anything in the area about it. I heard there were somethings put out North of us but WM did it themself. It looked like KY did and had a good crownd there.

fomospede
07-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Advertising is very expensive so youd better have deep pockets
i agree the midwest needs a series for minis to follow
no matter how we see it its pay for play
we prefer xc racing at least he is racing for 45 minutes plus
we went to a local mx 2 practice laps and 2 motos of 4 laps
wait all day for 20 minutes!

Hetrick Racing
07-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Wow
you people so Im gonna say it again
power in numbers
we are gonna meet again at red bud
instead of complaining online which does nothing how about trying to SHOW UP

We have to stick together and confront together
WOW
TRY TO HELP AND THIS IS WHAT YOU GET

RCR_531
07-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Rick
I don't think that it is so much complaining as it is suggestions. Not everyone can make it to all the Nationals to voice their opinion about what they would like to see changed. Atleast on here maybe someone will see it and bring it up for the person while they are at the National event.

I will be at Red Bud and if somone would like to have their opinion voiced but can be there shoot me a PM. I will bring it up for you. Rodney

#404's Dad
07-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Well like I mentioned I forgot all about the meeting, had a lot on my plate but here are a few things I may have brought up.

1- Consistency, They way things are ran changes from round to round for example Practice on Sunday sometimes we get a couple sometimes more but this last round while the little bikes were heading out she told the big bikes in line they were the last practice therefore when Trevor came off I sent him back to the trailer yet she lined little bikes up again?

I asked her what was up, she had no reason for it nor did she feel I was entitled to an answer.

Also 50's are usually last I believe, not this round.

2- Paying to use a Pit Vehicle? I think the $185 I paid to get in should cover that, now I see NY gets $15 per vehicle and $5 more for each additional driver, pretty chitty imho.

3- Paying for Water, again my $185 should cover that.

Nickel and Diming us to death is BS, whats next charge us for our Primitive Camp spot too.

I could go on and on I guess, maybe just too *****y I dunno but I hate paying extra for every little thing, it adds up over the course of the year.

Hetrick Racing
07-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Please listen and understand
1st I have nothing to do with the ATVA -AMA I am a race parent just like you
2nd All that the meetings are for are exactly what we are talking about with consistency charging for water,Ect.
Also trying to get you guys to understand we cannot win unless we stick together.
If you guys help each other with rules and watching for rude riding and so on
it will get better.
I have been through this before we fixed it back then and we can again
Have to say thanks to the MACK family for two things one was of course the win
2nd for pushing the envelope with the blocking and stuff all the way to the top.
Also if you all didnt know the ref watched all the classes that were brought to his attention so
its working......

Logan #34's Dad
07-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Us just having a group get together and talking "complaining" to you and dean is not going to get things fixed. We ALL need to take a stand against the nickel n dimeing. Consistency is #1 BUT money is VERY important for families like mine.
SO, I propose, we ALL refuse to pay for pit vehicles. What can the promoters going to do, they do NOT have the power to interfere with the races themselves....and if we ALL don't pay they will get the hint. They cannot penalize all the riders... And I DARE them to try and take my vehicle. And IF a promoter is reading this - I dare ya cause I don't have to be there.
As long as the AMA/ATVA stands behind US on these issues then it can be fixed. When the "workers" demand something be done to us cause we are not cooperating...they need to tell them too bad.
BUT, WE Parents can't be allowing OUR kids to pile 6 kids on a golfcart and be plasting around the pits. IF you see this tell them to stop. We should have to register them so there is some sense of responsibility.

It can all start with the pit vehicles and the message trickles down to the other BS we get stuck paying.

rageatvsupermom
07-05-2012, 05:11 PM
What time and where will this meeting at Redbud take place. I will attend this time, I am embarassed to say I did not know about the meeting at Ohio.

I do suggest that this is brought up where all riders can come not just the mini parents, the same issues are going on in the big classes as well.

I do hope something can change for the better because if this continues on this track there will not be National ATV racing.

Hetrick Racing
07-06-2012, 06:31 AM
Rock
with an attitude like that we will never get anything done.
Dean is who you need to speak to why are you having a hard time understanding that??

Give it a chance and if it doesnt work well then you have the right to *****.

Or maybe you guys dont want any help and you just wanna keep doing what your doing,,,NOTHING

Complaining to the AMA is like complaining to the US Government about the water main in your town
you have to go to the city council c-mon think about what we have to do
LETS WORK TOGETHER

Michelle
I have done this in the past if you start with the kids and work your way up it gets a bunch more accomplished,
if everyone shows up we get nothing done besides a big ***** session
we need that as well but in smaller groups

121dad
07-06-2012, 06:36 AM
Why don't you propose some sort of a rider representative board ? For the series. They would be the middle person for the average joe to goto trackside. This might relieve some on the officials also so they can monitor they action.

Ryko racing
07-06-2012, 07:24 AM
Rich is absolutely correct. We cant just go into a meeting and scream and complain. There are a few issues but actually i thought this year was going quite smooth. (EXCEPT FOR THE FLAGGER ISSUE AT MT MORRIS).
i have noticed that the classes are getting thinner, (MAYBE THEY HAVE TOO MANY CLASSES.)( I KNOW IN THE BIGGER BIKES THEY DONT HAVE THE CLASS ISSUES.)
i FEEL THAT THE YOUTH CLASS STRUCTURE SHOULD BE TO GIVE EVERYONE A CHNCE TO RACE 2 CLASSES WITH OUT HAVING TO SPEND A FORTUNE BUYING 2 QUADS. ( I DONT FEEL THAT THE CLASS STRUCTURE HAS TO BE SET SO A CERTAIN BRAND CAN WIN.) (it s supposed to be hard to win a championship. I think my son learned a valuable lesson this year about how hard it is to win one.) And im ok with that. It will hopefully build character and make him want it more than ever. Or not ,and in life that is a choice that he will make. (its not like he will ever get rich doing this.)
Unfortunately we had to miss a few races but the blocking issue is new to me. I must have missed something?

I have really not seen a lot of " BLOCKING". i KNOW MUDDY CREEK AND MT MORRIS WERE VERY ONE LINED SO THAT MAY HAVE BEEN AN ISSUE. But for the most part its been good close racing in our classes.

Hope fully we wil see everyone at RED BUD.

edwardsp&b
07-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Alright.....Ive read enough, I was going to keep out of this but I cant help it. I wasnt at Ohio, nor will we be at RedBud. I can afford to make all 10 races, but the time away from work is what kills me. Redbud would be an 18 hour drive for us nonstop. But to be there on Thursday, I would have to leave Wed. morning, that means I would be away from by business a total of 6 days. I just cant do that, as Im sure many others cant either. This is one of the major issues we want to try to correct. I was watching online, and the numbers that showed up to race makes me sick. Its alot different up north as there are locals with good turnouts, down south its gotten to a point that if you dont run nationals, you might as well quit running atvs because there is no where to race anymore. If we dont make nationals more affordable to where the regular middle class family can attend, its going to dry up. Has anybody noticed that its just the same families following this circus, doesnt that make you guys worry? Ive got two 5 year olds that wants to start racing end of this year, where do we go?

Correct me if Im wrong, because I wasnt there, but the meeting was mostly about rough riding, and who to report to if you think its happening to your rider. I agree that is an issue that needs to be addressed too. Im not sure whos been watching my son ride this year, but it has happened alot to us this year.

Rich I commend you for trying to organize a bunch of *****ing mini parents....I think most of the backlash about the meeting was from most parents thinking they were talking about the series from a money and attendance standpoint, not just rough riding. Rich I agree we all need to stick together, but I think we need a better time and place to do it.

If your going to organize a meeting why not Lorrettas? There will be alot better turnout, and if planned we could talk about everything including rough riding and the direction our sport is going into. There is also alot more time for that at Lorrettas, so that more could be involved. I propose to do it before or after the youth contingency program. This would also give a chance for Dean or whoever to be there to explain ATVMX's thoughts and problems on their side. It seems we could plan this a little better and get alot of good input on a number of topics.
Bryan Kirkland

nitrofish
07-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Ok, so we are a "newbie" to the national scene. We hit High Point and Sunday Creek our first and last for the year. My opinions may not mean as much since we are not running for points and/or attending most of the events. With that said, I attended Rich's meeting and even though not alot was said other than Rich and a few others it was a good start. I do feel it is something you all should embrace and do at each event. I agree you should have a small commitee of sorts at least to get the ball rolling and take notes. Go into it with a positive vibe and do not be afraid to share your thoughts. I myself had some thoughts, but I felt being new and all and a bit concerned of the impending storm I just listened this time. I think it is ok to have a few vocals in the group that make a stand a different way (Rocky) :) I have had to make an a** out of myself at local races to get things corrected and somtimes that is what it takes, but cooler heads usually prevail. Stick together take your concerns to the appropriate person with said small commitee, power in numbers but too many numbers makes the person feel like they are being attacked. ATV racing is limited and is the ******* of the sport of MX. It will never get much bigger but it sure as hell can get smaller and fade away. Back in the day (here we go, the glory days) I raced bikes on a semi pro level, things were different we co-existed with quads and had the family atmosphere and racer eticate that is far removed from the sport today. I can't believe I am going to say this being a bike guy and all, but the dirtbike community has turned into an embarassment and a bunch if whiners. Let's not be them. I think with the FMX mainstream and the kids that are in the sport now a days with limited disipline and in it for the cool factor is the reasoning. It still amazes me when the bike guys belittle us and complain about what we do to "their" tracks. It is moto-x for gosh sakes. They want perfectly groomed tracks with minimal dust and perfect ruts and berms. Where am I going with this? I think that is why the quad numbers are falling off, we have limited tracks, get treated poorly and get no respect. So why would a parent that sees this want to get their kid involved with ATVmx? Hell, just a few weeks ago Chad Weinen, Thomas Brown and a few other Pro-am riders were at a local track by my house and got no respect from the bike community. To the owners credit (Mr. Osborne) he is a quad rider and runs his track flawlessly and preps it so we can co-exist. He was ecstatic that they showed up and and did everything to accomadate them. We had the cream of the crop at a local track and the bike guys still bash the "couches" yet they get there panties all wadded up when a barely top 30 national bike rider shows up, go figure. We still get a decent mini quad contingent locally but not what it used to be. It has to start on the local tracks to get a steady turnout at the Nationals, botttom line. Get involved with your local racers the new kids on the block, talk to them, get them excited then hit them with the National idea. That is why we decided to go, people like Rocky complimented my boy at a few local races and got me excited to try a few. I am glad we did. We only planned on High Point and low and behold we went back to Sunday Creek. Why? The people. For my family, we have to have as much fun hanging out as we do racin'. Ya figure it is 90% hanging out and 10% racing. Well like I said we enjoyed all the folks we met, the atmosphere was fun and inviting and the racing did not go to shabby either. So the next question. Why are we done for the year on the national scene? $$$$$. It is not just the gate fees, pit vehicle fees and such. It is the culmination of it all. Preperation takes time, food, gas, hotels for us (thanks neighbor for saving us $525 for a hotel that had no electric by letting us stay in your camper). Getting off work for the extended period of time is tough. Parts and spare parts, ya gotta have extra crap when you go out a town as opposed to locally. I do not know how some of you do it every other weekend. We live in Ohio, the most ideal place to live to run these races. We run a stock ported motor for reliability reasons, a motor melt down would send us home with no spare. Kudos to the ATV family that always stepped up to help those that broke and needed parts. I do know why you do it every other weekend. Because it is a blast! I miss it already. What is the fix? Get others to go. Do away with Friday practices. Stick together and talk, talk, talk. Not tweet, not text, not e-mail and not by forums. I admit I am a bit quiet till I get the suds flowin' but we gotta communicate face to face. Better get the kids on board too. That is all they do now is facebook, text and tweet. They are not going to know how to communicate when the grow up. As far as on track incidents, flaggers, blocking, track safety, kids too fast on pit vehicles, etc. That is the easiest fix of em all. I preach rider eticate to my son, I actually think I hinder him a bit. If he rides like a squid, he will not race. If he acts unsportsmanlike he will not race. If he acts a fool in the pits, he will not race. Track safety is easily addressed, just gotta know where to go. That is where these get togethers will help the most. My 1 cent worth, I 'll get another cent when we get more experienced. Oh, give me a break if this made no sense, been working storm since we got back from the Creek, sh*t is still in the trailor even. I would like to pass on my thanks to some folks we met over the past few weeks. Rocky for encouraging words to get us to go, The Roahrigs for getting us involved in this crap, maybe I should not thank them. Tim and Cory Powers, The Bronsons, The Beverlys. Hetrick family, Jack is still on cloud nine for Joel signing his plaque. Max RPM for offering to tune on our bike, sorry I did not come up I am too stubborn to let someone else tune my machine. All the folks we met, thanks. Please keep the sport alive so we can see ya's next year! Maybe Lorettas? No, no,no I can't well maybe...... The Winlands. Matt, Jess and Jack.

Logan #34's Dad
07-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Okay, I'll do it the easy way. I feel like one of those government extremists. I've been doing this National thing for awhile now and since the beginning the biggest complaint has been money and the ATVA has not addressed it. I don't know how many of you remember how great we were treated when the WPSA was around to compete for our business but things were good back then.
Anyhow, 121dad has a great idea, we need one person to be a voice for the masses. And someone like Hetrick or Justin Hall would be best - reason - these type people depend on all of us for their businesses to thrive. They want and need the sport to grow, which in turn means they will passionately get our views and concerns heard. A person like me (regular dad) would not work because I could pack up and go home at anytime.
This person also would need to be a contact person to email, tweet, text our concerns too. Welcome to the new world folks.
I don't see any major racing issues on the track itself so that has little affect on our overall numbers.
Racing all over the country is suffering, anyone see the small crowd at the Sprint Cup race at Kentucky, as the one guy in the meeting said, it starts at the local level and those riders come try a National and get sucked into the scene. If there is one thing I noticed, its all the same riders on the gate every race... We need to get those local people to come give it a try. Nitrofish, when your broke, please don't hold me responsible...LOL.
Get the costs down and they will come....

Logan #34's Dad
07-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Another thing, can't we get some kind of entertainment for us parents and kids to do on Saturday night?
I attended one Extreme Dirt Track (TT) event last year at Pine Lake and was amazed at how well the people there took care of the people. Hell, they even had an organized sit down dinner. They had 2 (TWO) music DJ's and FREE keg beer! (easy Visnic, easy). TT numbers are very low but they make you want to come back which in turn will keep them alive.
Love him or hate him, (I like him) Scott Ward had some good ideas such as trying to get a carnival type thing to come to a couple events. Those food and entertainment vendors could use the business I'm sure.
I thought that is what the promoters were supposed to do.
We need to have organized "after hours" events. Even the ole plastic tarp and water for a slip and slid works. Gives the people something to do besides sit in an RV. These type of activities are the responsibility of the promoter (IF they REALLY want us to stay around) not the parents.
Again, I say stick with ONE promoter and let them keep polishing OUR rock.

jungleboy213
07-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Let me add to this. We are a middle class family with average cars, average incomes and and average house. I work 60 hours a week. We have an average quad (In the National series.)
Locally, we won the championship last year. What is our next move? The National Series. I built a quad over the winter. We saved money, planning on using it for the races. We planned on racing 7 of the 10 races this year. We attended Aonia Pass and Muddy Creek. At Muddy Creek is where I realized, we can't afford to do this all year. $200 on gas there and back, $200 for a hotel, $105 in race and practice fees, $100 in entry fees, $35 in transponder rental and $15 for a pit pass. That is $655 before I even open up the trailer. We also blew a motor, blew out a rear shock and ruined a radiator that weekend. Racing at this level is not for the average joe.
I know that the promoters have to make their money, but I feel that there are other ways to do it besides sticking it to us, the riders and families. Maybe promoting a little more for the local hometown people to show up. We also attended Ballance MX. In the 3 races we went to this year, I did not hear 1 radio advertisement about the race. I did not see 1 ad in any local newspapers about the race. These towns are also making money from us in gas, lodging and us eating out. Why not involve the local communities?

hensonfamfun
07-06-2012, 12:49 PM
121dad is on the money. Mr. Hetrick is on the money. Heck you all are!!!!! First of all, I was there and missed the meeting last week. I was really busy spitting nails at our quad!! There really needs to be a board/group/volunteers of 6 or so folks with a spokesman that attends most of these races. This would allow at the races, a person/persons to goto and talk about issues on and off the track. Maybe after the races on the following Wednesday nights this group has a conference call and they can discuss these issues with the ATVA or an ATVA rep. (issues from last race, what liked, disliked, etc) Just an idea. I think they will listen. They too want to survive.......believe it! My family and I have had the time of our lives. My son has not only grown as a rider BUT as a person. He has learned some valuable lessons on and off the track and its because we choose to race Nationals! It has all the makings of something incredibly special and just needs some tweeking just like everything else!!! Again, its a business that must have customers to survive. Yelling, screaming, and boycotting fixes nothing!!! Cooperation and teamwork moves mountains.

Ryko racing
07-06-2012, 12:54 PM
I feel your pain. After 5 full seasons we had to stop early due to lack of funds. ( but thats my problem im not complaining),

I too work 55 to 60 hrs a week in 5 days. My boss allows me to race as much as possible ( im lucky).

Now, while driving to Ballance and while working my normal 6 hrs each evening on the quads i did hear a dozen or more radio commercials on the local station. i BELIEVE that i also heard them in Maryland too.

I will give the promoter credit for trying as i felt that they are better this year.

i still think it all comes down to full gates with less classes. I think that by creating classes it thins out the competition level thus making riders not want to finsh the full season. ( everyone cant have a class that they can win).
It is crazy to drive around the country and race against 8 people. ( the top 2 or 3 in each class race each other every race).

WE HAVE PRODUCTION CLASSES WITH MX BIKE MOTORS, CMON...

I think they shuld have 2 50 classes, 2 70 classes, 2 90 classes. then once they are full re address the classes. If a racer has a 90 cvt he can opt to race a 90 mod class as a secondary. Just a thought.......

We will be on the 450s but im open to a meeting at Lorettas,.

nitrofish
07-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
Okay, I'll do it the easy way. I feel like one of those government extremists. I've been doing this National thing for awhile now and since the beginning the biggest complaint has been money and the ATVA has not addressed it. I don't know how many of you remember how great we were treated when the WPSA was around to compete for our business but things were good back then.
Anyhow, 121dad has a great idea, we need one person to be a voice for the masses. And someone like Hetrick or Justin Hall would be best - reason - these type people depend on all of us for their businesses to thrive. They want and need the sport to grow, which in turn means they will passionately get our views and concerns heard. A person like me (regular dad) would not work because I could pack up and go home at anytime.
This person also would need to be a contact person to email, tweet, text our concerns too. Welcome to the new world folks.
I don't see any major racing issues on the track itself so that has little affect on our overall numbers.
Racing all over the country is suffering, anyone see the small crowd at the Sprint Cup race at Kentucky, as the one guy in the meeting said, it starts at the local level and those riders come try a National and get sucked into the scene. If there is one thing I noticed, its all the same riders on the gate every race... We need to get those local people to come give it a try. Nitrofish, when your broke, please don't hold me responsible...LOL.
Get the costs down and they will come....

Rocky, no worries we did not break. I meant I seen several others that broke and others gave them a hand. But I would blame you, just because.

kinger
07-08-2012, 06:31 AM
I'm an outsider looking in, we don't race nationals cause we can't afford what it takes to run them. Aftermarket parts are just way to much and I think that's where it starts if those prices dropped more people could do more to the quads. Half the people we race with would love to come run on the national level but are quads just isn't on that level. We the parents are a t fault for this going and buying all the aftermarket stuff to drop in these quads. There needs to be a 1 stock class and 1 mod class for 50s,70s,and 90s. If they had it that way maybe more people would come to them. That's my opinion on the whole subject

selbygirl
07-08-2012, 05:10 PM
its a shame where this sport is going my son has been racing quads for abouht 6 years now ,, our dist 7 is over and i think dist 13 is over for quads .. we lost the middleford track in delaware and atco ,,, easton only allows bikes and blue dimaond and snake creek ,all bike tracks budds creek just went under a new lease holder there not allowing quads . so i have to drive atleast 5 hrs for a quad track just for seat time . and the parts for these quads a way to high , quads racing is a rich mans sport . we are quad out we just sold all our quads .and going back to dirt bikes . i just sold one for 24 hundred bucks picked up a kx 65 and 85 jr 50 crf50 all for 24 hundred bucks , we went to mx 4 christ 2 weeks ago . dustin wimmer showed up to help with the camp he even sold all his quads , we are going to miss quad racing i think my wife is more upset then all of us , its like burying your old hunting dog well its time to a new pup , well take care guys i hope i didnt messup your thread,,,, and i want to say special thanks to hotquds been with us since the begining if eny of you mini quad peaple need help thats the man marc i got to say he is the most honest person i have delt with

Ryko racing
07-09-2012, 07:33 AM
Unfortunately, you have a good point. I cant totally blame the promoters because there is no OEM support for quads.

Many people have come in and out of this sport trying to get some type of consistant SPONSOSHIPS.

IF a guy like Dustin Wimmer walks away from a sport that he grew up doing and training harder than most of our kids would ever train. Where is it going ?

WE NEED , YAMAHA, HONDA, SUZUKI, TO STEP UP AND SUPPORT THE SPORT.

Thus, the production classes need to be around as they build the main platforms.

If we keep allowing anyone to run anything and call it production the long term effect will be devastating.

I dont have an answer, but i do know that currnetly if it were not for the aftermarket guys, (Hetrick, Max rpm, Jb, etc, we would be non existant)

Racing at any level is expensive, I have reaced bikes my whole life and it is expensive also. ( there is a major difference in National level racing of any kind and local racing. Obviously, )...

The promoters cant just lower the prices. ( i cant believe that if they lowered the gate fee $ 25 dollars that more people would race nationals. )

Bens Dad
07-09-2012, 09:24 AM
I have two kids that both run cvts and its all I can do to make it to the nationals. Everyone I talk to says its all about the money! How much it cost in fuel, parts, gate fees, racing fees, pit pass fees, ama fees, transponder fees, even if a family member wants to come watch its too much. I live in Ga. the Aonia race was 20 min from my house, we had friends, and family that wanted to come watch the racing but when they found out how much gate fees where to watch........... no one came! that was about 20 people . But what Im getting at is that out of all the guys I race with locally no one comes because of how much it cost. No one watches because of how much it cost.......So money is the biggest factor for everyone I have talk too. And there are alot of guys going to GNCC because its about half the cost, just saying!!!!!

Ryko racing
07-09-2012, 09:30 AM
I agree it is expensive. I fully believe that if we had local qualifiers like the bikes have with the actual race held at year end our numbers would eventually grow. I also believe that the qualifier process would bring in local tracks that are interested in having a qualifier thus increasing the popularity.

It wont happen overnight, but i think it would eventually help the sport.

Just an idea.

Ride1Rob
07-09-2012, 09:49 AM
A lot of your problems are some of the parents that show up to the races. Whinning about splitting classes. This was done at Dade City in the mod class and parents complained bc there was a shifter on the gate. There were only 4 bikes on the gate then and now that same class doesn't have a single rider. The sad part about is the shifter never won a single race. Why seperate an already struggling class?

I also agree with Ryko as racing a bike national is just as expensive as quads. The fees are just as insane to race Mini O's at Gatorback but their gates are filled. The difference is you all run behind a national series every month. On bikes I can take Jam to Mini O's and Lorettas and that's more than enough to get him exposure if he places well. If Cam Covil where on bikes he'd be on the level of Adam Cianciarulo. Unfortunately there seems to be no big money in the world of ATV racing at this time and it doesn't appear that its going to get any better.:ermm:

skyeryder
07-09-2012, 10:36 AM
I like Rocky's idea on discounting for multiple classes, and a spot GNCC makes up $$$ on mx is that you can get there Friday night race Saturday and go home, cheaper..... Why can't the youth race Saturday and Adults race Sunday or vice versa. That saves money for sure.
I work a 4 on 4 off schedule it sucks when you have to take off so many days at least the way it's only 2 days instead of 4.

Also with everyone talking about supporting your local series Reads Racing is having a Mini Mayhem this weekend July 15th at Hangtime MX, these promoters are also sponsoring a ATV series for the season. All you Michigan, Ohio, ILL riders come on out and support them.....

edwardsp&b
07-09-2012, 11:06 AM
How about this? Ditch the current format of Nationals, Run a total of 12 races, 6 north, 6 south, break up which races you run depending on your area. As an amatuer, you run the 6 races in your region, pros run all 12. Take the top 10 in each class and mate them against the top 10 of the other region, and have one championship race at Lorrettas or wherever you want. The upside is that I think you will have better turnouts, the downside to me is that you got one race at the end of the year to decide it all. (alot of pressure on rider and mechanic)

Flip flop the races for each region doing a north and a south, to give everybody enough breathing room to get to the next round. Have the south races at south tracks, north at north. This makes it to where more locals should show up, your not having to follow the circus way up north and way down south. Also run a race in Fla so their locals can have a chance to run the series and expand our numbers.

I know money is the key issue with most of us, but not having to run a race 10-15 hours away will save alot of money on us. I could easily make 6 races within 4-8 hrs from my house.

Until the numbers go way up, I dont see any big OEM support coming anytime soon. Understand, they spend their sponsorship money to promote sales, if sales of quads dont pick up, they wont spend any money.
Bryan

Ryko racing
07-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Troy Szymborski and I sent a copy of that type of plan to the promoters group 3 seasons ago. ( thats when they went to the North / south split.)

Basically we were told it would never work.

Maybe they need to think outside the box a little more.

JAG Motosports
07-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by edwardsp&b
How about this? Ditch the current format of Nationals, Run a total of 12 races, 6 north, 6 south, break up which races you run depending on your area. As an amatuer, you run the 6 races in your region, pros run all 12. Take the top 10 in each class and mate them against the top 10 of the other region, and have one championship race at Lorrettas or wherever you want. The upside is that I think you will have better turnouts, the downside to me is that you got one race at the end of the year to decide it all. (alot of pressure on rider and mechanic)

Flip flop the races for each region doing a north and a south, to give everybody enough breathing room to get to the next round. Have the south races at south tracks, north at north. This makes it to where more locals should show up, your not having to follow the circus way up north and way down south. Also run a race in Fla so their locals can have a chance to run the series and expand our numbers.

I know money is the key issue with most of us, but not having to run a race 10-15 hours away will save alot of money on us. I could easily make 6 races within 4-8 hrs from my house.

Until the numbers go way up, I dont see any big OEM support coming anytime soon. Understand, they spend their sponsorship money to promote sales, if sales of quads dont pick up, they wont spend any money.
Bryan

what he said .... the cost of nationals is not at the gate, whats $25 more dollars after u spent big $$$$ just to get there and days driving and time off work. When they split north and south before it was a joke . Every track should be within a 8 hr drive for everybody and a 2 day affair. And get rid of the production rule it was only started when the factories cared. Support the people that support quads. Props to can am tho

greenmachine70
07-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Edwards said it best. I believe it is the best chance for the quad MX to survive. Kind of like supercross. The pros race all races but the lites have an east west series.
In his idea, you have a north and south champ but you can only have one national champ.
I heard someone is trying to put a Florida/Georgia series together recently. 4 or 5 races in each state.
We have ok quad numbers here in Florida but don't get a national???
We will stay local. A DCMX championship is hard as heck to win and the banquet payouts ,as I have heard, are better than the nationals anyways.

greenmachine70
07-09-2012, 05:02 PM
As for classes, one of the most lopsided classes is Schoolboy Jr.
I mean there is not a legal 200cc blaster in the world that will ever compete in MX with a national level 300ex!!!!
Not even the big bad CT motors.
Maybe back in the 80's & 90's but not now!
My son races a built blaster and we won't go to a Nat because of that. We have a Blaster/raptor class. Blaster limited to 200cc and the raptor limited to 250 no hybrids. This is a competitive class but a built 300 Honda will smoke them.

Ryko racing
07-09-2012, 06:10 PM
We compete in that class so i am familiar with it. I do know that a guy from Michigan built a Raptor and was very compettitve a few years back. He also was a very good rider too.

The Honda 300 although fast does have weight and handling issue which level the field. (actually i was talking with Cam Covils dad a while back and he said if he was racing Schoolboy jr he would have Cam ride a Blaster as he thought it was fasater and more reliable.

The problem again goes back to entries. If we make a class for those separate then we would have 2 classes with about 6 riders.
Now we have the Apex with the bike motors being prod legal too. Unfortunately this is serious racing and there are a lot of people at the National level that will spend ANY amount to have an edge. Thats racing.
(unfortunately im not in that category, but i would do it in a heart beat if it would help my son compete.)

As a motor builder said to me when i asked how fast his motors were?
"we can go as fast as your wallet allows "

edwardsp&b
07-10-2012, 06:06 AM
Good points Mr Rommel, but the one thing that you have that most dont is good local series to race. For us it is an average 6 to 8 hr drive for most of the locals around us. The closest being 4 hours and every other one being 7 to 8 hrs. What do we do? Its not that much more to just race Nats. And on top of all that, the local race series usually has a total of 4 to 5 minis ranging from drr 50 to jb mods. On our Jb we race a kid that lives 10 minutes from us, and thats the only quad thats showed up this year, just him and my son. I almost to the point of just saying screw it and selling out. Ive heard others at Nats talking about their local tracks closing, so it isnt just down here.

I think that type of plan could work. If the promoter stays the same, its 2 more opportunitys for them to make money. I couldnt see where they wouldnt make more money by adding 2 rounds. The week before Aonia this year we were riding at Durhamtown and Thomas Brown was on the track with Ben. After riding a bunch of laps, they both pulled off and Thomas's dad and all of us started talking. He said that this plan was supposedly in the works already. He is who I originally heard it from. I think it could work, and I also think there would be alot more involved. I dont know what all the answers are but I know that this system is broken and needs to be changed. If we dont figure out how to get better numbers, atv racing is over.
Bryan

Ryko racing
07-10-2012, 08:17 AM
Yes guys our situation is also the same here in Michigan. We have two local series with excellent tracks but ATVS are second class citizens.

Thus our local series ( both ) are a joke.....No body goes.

Whats funny is there is an outlaw track in mid michigan whos track is mediocre at best that draws 400 plus at every race and runs 6 races and 6 practices. They get 2 full gates of 450 quads. And the minis are getting bigger each race. ( the track is not really good for atvs but the owner is a nice guy and treats people great.) MPXRACING.COM

If you listen to your CUSTOMERS.......(we are the customers) ..........

I saw a sign at MCDONALDS ( IF WE DONT TAKE CARE OF OUR CUSTOMERS SOPMEONE ELSE WILL)

jay-r
07-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Wow, this thread has become so negative. We can't rely on race promoters to bring in riders. We are fortunate that we have a very good local series. We consistently have 10 50cc quads on the line. Also have between 6 to 12 in the other mini classes. The new mini riders every year are friends and neighbors of other racers. The families tell others how much fun the racing is and draw in new riders. It seems that the nationals are becoming the only place for many people to race quads. The problem is on the local level. The quad bashing from dirt bike riders is at an all time high, and so many tracks are now bike only. If quad racing continues to go away on the local level, then the nationals will get smaller. Trying to get the national series save quad racing will be difficult. Most people will not get started racing if the only place to race is the nationals. I don't know the solution, but blaming the nationals for the small number of quad racers is not the answer. This has to start at the local level. We race some nationals, but enjoy our local series too.

Support and promote your local series, if you have one, and bring a friend along.

Ryko racing
07-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Im not blaming the National promoters at all. Our local district14 basically kicked all quads out of Michigan in 2005. A few tracks are trying to revive it but the numbers are small.

I understand the promoters need to make money. The qualifier type of Championship could make racing more affordable for amatuers which would bring people into the sport.

Also, i think that the friday practice scares people away. Not many working people can take 3 -4 day weekends every other weekend. Actually i would pay a higher signup if there was no friday practice day.
(IT WOULD BE CHEAPER THAN REPAIRING THEM FRIDAY EVENING).

Just ideas.....

Ryko racing
07-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Just my opinion but i have been racing since i was 8 and im 48. Until we came to this series i had never been to a major race that had a full practice day at every race. Actually it shocked me that that many people could get 4 day weekends all summer long.

Even when i raced the National qualifier and regional qualifier system we got 2 practices on saturday morning to tune just like at a local race.
As far as being mandatory you are correct but if the other riders can ride all day the day before that gives them a huge advantage. I have never heard of a rider not learning the track at a local race.( its not like these tracks are huge anyway.)

We could go on and on over this but in my opinion the easiest way to cut expense might be to stop the friday practice session.

If they tried it and it didnt work its an easy fix to start it up again.

Who knows?????

selbygirl
07-10-2012, 01:48 PM
we love racing localy but there is no more local quad racing here. my son hates racing nats it takes so long to go to a track and you ride maybe 5 times in 3 days , and he sed the kids are dangerous on the track they dont go around you they push you or hit you ,most of the parents say thats racing a little bit of pushing and bumping. we did do a nat this year at budds creek 70 cvt my son all most got the hole shot but some kid pulled a pit maneuve on the first turn and spun him out, my son is a fast rider ,,and i asked him why did you hold back , he sed its not worth it im not going to get hurt for plaque he sed there like a bunch of goons in the c class, this coming from a ten year old, he made me remember why we raced to have fun and go home safe . i have some freinds who race nats and they tell me storys of how some of the riders are realy nasty and some of these bikes are way to fast for these young riders, im not bashing eny one , thats me being a dad of 4 kids my only job to them is to provide & protect and love them ,, like i sed im not bashing .i would realy like to see the quads pick up , but i dont think its going to happen on the eastern shore,

greenmachine70
07-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Ryko racing
We compete in that class so i am familiar with it. I do know that a guy from Michigan built a Raptor and was very compettitve a few years back. He also was a very good rider too.

The Honda 300 although fast does have weight and handling issue which level the field. (actually i was talking with Cam Covils dad a while back and he said if he was racing Schoolboy jr he would have Cam ride a Blaster as he thought it was fasater and more reliable.
"

Well we race at the track where Tracy is the mechanic. He has a rider on a fully built CT blaster and that boy is fast and a great rider. However he has been to a few nationals this season and I think his best finish was 8th. All Hondas ahead of him. As for the raptor it is allowed to be built to a 300 and the rage built national raptors will run with the 250 hybrid Dirtbikes motors and the LEGAL 200cc blasters won't. As for reliable, I can't see him saying a 2 stroke is more reliable than a 4 stroke but ya never know. As for Cam, look out pros in a couple years is all I can say. He beats pros at DCMX right now at 14. The young man is the most phenomenal rider I have ever seen and his dad is one heck of a mechanic and tuner as well.

don bassani
07-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Well said Selbygirl ! There are a lot kids riding out of control,blocking,jumping in traffic,running kids off tracks, not holding line in holeshot,ect...All for a plaque ? Its not worth getting hurt and it's not fun racing with crazy goons .

selbygirl
07-10-2012, 09:48 PM
hey bassani, sorry to hear about the incident of the head hunter who t-boned the wrong rider . to me thats premeditated and they should be banned from ama. luckly the only damaged done was a broken frame and not a hurt child ,,I feel sorry for the family with the broken frame. spend all that time and money to go to a race and can't race.

doonanracing
07-11-2012, 12:09 PM
I read this entire post and there is some good points.. We attended out first MX National in 2 years. I must say overall it was a great experience. Except for some electrical issues and the heat I was pleased. I parked next to strangers and must say by the end of weekend we had all gotten to know each other well, got numerous free rides up the hill on golf carts by unknown parties, offered free beer and got help from others whom I did not met before. So as far as 99% of the people there I must say they are all great folks. So if someone reads this posts I will say it like I tell everyone. You can have your kids race, play baseball, football, or what ever other activity and their always is going to be that one kid or parents whom are out of control. I must say I was impressed how they attacked the issue unlike a lot of organizations whom sit back like lame ducks. Yes I agree the weekend is too long, yes the numbers are down but like all other type of racing it is down across the board. Have a neighbor whom runs the Nascar Truck series and if the Sprint cars are not at the same track he is told to bring another truck just to fill the field so it looks good for TV. Hell, That is the Nascar series. I know that my son will never end up making a living out of atv racing nor will 99% of the people that try, but no one can ever take away the time you have to spend when racing. Those long drives etc. Yes you can go broke doing it but at the end in 10 years when my son is grown I will remember why we did what we did and most likley I will still be paying back the years of racing. You build a series by building the experience. There is reasons why Loretta is the biggest MX event and Astabula is the biggest TT events. Talk to any kid and most adults and most likely racing is a sidebar in both those events, a series just needs to discover why and spread that to other events.

Astabula's National TT race from the 20-22nd this month will have a hare scramble after racing has ended so you can also race in the woods besides on the TT track or watch people run thru the woods thru mud etc, 3 wheelers are racing. side by sides will be racing, free beer and party Sat. night,. church group serving breakfast Sat and Sunday morning and a lake for the kids to go swimming in. Does this sound like an event or a race? There is a reason my son can't wait every year to go. This is a part of our families vacation every year for a reason. Lorretta's is the MX version of this. There was a huge rain storm a few years ago and filled the bowl area of the track and had a couple feet of water in the track, my boys where doing mudslides etc. and we still raced latter that day. They have taked about that every year since. Just some thoughts and idea on how to grow an event/race. Race families spend allot of money and that is the issue. I just want like most to feel I got something back in return.

#404's Dad
07-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Kinda off the topic or direction y'all are at right now but one thing that pisses me off a little here and there and especially for this round is the Gates Closing at Midnight, This forces me to have to leave by 2 in the afternoon, I have people that go with us that have normal jobs and changing the time they need to be off every two weeks is BS.

These tracks know there are people coming from all over the place that will arrive all hours of the night, kinda ridiculous imho.

Logan #34's Dad
07-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Here at the Famed Unadilla, just thought of another way these "people"
gouge us for MORE money..... Why is it that we have to pay for additional practice sessions? $25 per "group". Now, when we go practice at any track we get charged ONE fee per rider and can ride anything we bring for as many laps as we want.... How come they don't just charge one fee and IF you machine qualifies for that "group" then run it all for the same fee? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

selbygirl
07-14-2012, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
Here at the Famed Unadilla, just thought of another way these "people"
gouge us for MORE money..... Why is it that we have to pay for additional practice sessions? $25 per "group". Now, when we go practice at any track we get charged ONE fee per rider and can ride anything we bring for as many laps as we want.... How come they don't just charge one fee and IF you machine qualifies for that "group" then run it all for the same fee? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ maybe the quads have smaller turnout then the bikes and the track trying to make money . we went to budds creek for a bike nat 2 years ago there was thousands and thousands of peaple there .. you had to park at the drag strip , that place was elbow to elbow . quads needs to bring the numers up .

Ride1Rob
07-14-2012, 08:10 PM
There's a local place here named Dirtyfoot Adventures. Place had trails and drag strip and was 80-90% quads when they first opened. Built a national style MX track with quads in mind. Hardly any quads come to ride the track. I'd say its 90% bikes on practice weekends. They're having a big race tomorrow and out of almost 80 pre entries only 10 were quads. Not very good... :(

Ryko racing
07-16-2012, 07:51 AM
NO MONEY AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL. UNFORTUNATELY......

WE WENT TO A LOCAL OUTLAW TRACK YESTERDAY. HAD A DOZEN MINIS, 2 FULL GATES OF 450 NOVICE AND 14 450 EXPERTS. THE TRACK IS TERRIBLE FORQUADS BUT THE OWNWER IS A NICE GUY AND TREATS THEM EQUAL SO PEOPLE COME.

ITS VERY HARD TO SPEND OUR LIFES SAVINGS AND KEEP THE KDS TRAINING TO BE A PRO WHEN YOU KNOW BEING A PRO ATV RACER MEANS NOTHING.. IT IS VERY SAD.......WE TRY T OSTAY POSITIVE BUT WITHOUT OEM SUPPORT WE HAVE A LONG HARD BATTLE TO GROW OUR SPORT.

LT80
07-16-2012, 08:09 AM
WTF ya yelling about Ryko? Easy big fella. :devil:

SOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo....How did the meeting go?
All you that had idea's and comments in here went..right?

LT80
07-18-2012, 03:25 PM
200 views and no replys.
I'll take it there wasn't a meeting. :(

rageatvsupermom
07-18-2012, 03:58 PM
I believe it is supposed to happen at Redbud. The first meeting at Ohio did a few things but there are more things to discuss per the discussion here. So we shall see if anything comes out of this.

Ryko racing
07-19-2012, 07:17 AM
NO YELLIN. MY CAP LOCK IS STUCK. CANT AFFORD NEW COMPUTER GOTTA FIX 2 MOTORS. LOL.

LT80
07-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Now that's funny! :D

Ryko racing
07-19-2012, 08:15 AM
YES SIR. BUT TRUE.

rd2005
07-19-2012, 03:26 PM
I have read all the comments from beginning to end. My wife & I would have attended a meeting if we were there. We also are not complaining as this is more suggestions to improve our numbers.
We are just an average family that loves ATV MX racing!!!!
We ran the first 3 nationals this year then basically realized we could not afford to keep this up! The nickel & dimming is certainly a big problem for the average family. Not sure who we need to discuss this with but it certainly needs to be addressed!
The biggest issues for us are:
#1: Having to take so much time off from work
#2: Rocky hit one thing on the head...since when is a 12yr old an ADULT???? A promoter somewhere started it...got away with it, then the rest jumped in! Gate fees are just outrageous!
#3: If they would drag the season out a little longer so the races are spread out more...in turn makes it easier on the family.
#4: Pit vehicle charges...we keep costs down by walking...& yeah it sucks!

We do like the idea that 121dad had...appointing a person or persons to represent us the little guys to talk to the AMA officials & such! I think AMA would prefer that as well. Takes up less time for them, they don't hear it from 10 different people, & hopefully it would get the situation or situations taken care of faster & be taken more seriously! We have been fortunate to not have any trouble with rough riding so that’s been a positive for us. One more thing we agree with like someone on here said have the meeting at your largest event! Power in numbers!

ValloneRaceTeam
07-25-2012, 04:05 PM
I have read most here and kind of sad as we are heading to Redbud to watch our first nat race and thinking of trying some next season, but now thinking maybe the local bs isn't so bad afterall.

I think it is good to try to fix but if they don't listen the only way to hurt them is not go or make a new series which is a pain the butt.

So, I hope you guys can make some changes because sounds like you are all on the right track and very sad they won't listen to Hetrick as he is company that I'm sure hears a lot from his racers and customers.

Good luck!

Hetrick Racing
07-26-2012, 06:05 AM
Sir,
I hope anything you have been reading does not turn you from our series.
These guys are great people and the racing is some of the best in any motorsports I have seen.

As with any sport most of it can be fixed.
EVERYONE WANTS WHATS BEST FOR THEIR CHILDREN AND TEAM!!!
All we have to do is stick together and discuss the issues like adults.

Also one thing most of the people have forgotten is the last meeting got kinda shut down by the forces of nature,I hope the meeting tomorrow will get more accomplished .

nitrofish
07-26-2012, 07:36 AM
ValloneRaceTeam,

Don't let these posts deter you in anyway, folks are just trying to fix the details. We did our first this year, we did not have any complaints to speak of. We had a great time and we already miss it. The same stuff goes on at local races too, not much different. The expenses are an issue if you plan on doing a bunch or all of the events. If you can do it financially, don't let the experience slip by.

#404's Dad
07-26-2012, 09:23 AM
What time and Where is the Red Bud Meeting? Thanks

skyeryder
07-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Can someone bring up the idea of splitting Youth on day and Adults the other day less time off work and food on less day. I believe it would help us. If it's a bad idea I'll delete it thanks

nastynotchback1
07-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by skyeryder
Can someone bring up the idea of splitting Youth on day and Adults the other day less time off work and food on less day. I believe it would help us. If it's a bad idea I'll delete it thanks

That would be great.All youth classes on sat and adult classes on sunday would be awsome.It's hard to travel with kids you know.

skyeryder
07-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Might not miss as much school.

#404's Dad
07-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Meeting was canceled at Red Bud due to so many things going on and with Brent Sellers wreck for those that didn't already know.

Talked to Rich and it will be held at Loretta's which should be a better spot anyway with there always being more people there.

See ya there

jay-r
07-31-2012, 06:46 AM
We had missed a few nationals since this thread started. But were back at Red Bud and the girl's classes had their own races instead of double gate. I don't know if that came out of this thread or not, but if so, thank you Mr. Hetrick.

I don't see a complete overhaul of the program happening. Baby steps. :D

Maybe the meeting at Loretta's can bring some constructive ideas and not just complaints.

ValloneRaceTeam
07-31-2012, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by nitrofish
ValloneRaceTeam,

Don't let these posts deter you in anyway, folks are just trying to fix the details. We did our first this year, we did not have any complaints to speak of. We had a great time and we already miss it. The same stuff goes on at local races too, not much different. The expenses are an issue if you plan on doing a bunch or all of the events. If you can do it financially, don't let the experience slip by.

Sir,
I hope anything you have been reading does not turn you from our series.
These guys are great people and the racing is some of the best in any motorsports I have seen.

As with any sport most of it can be fixed.
EVERYONE WANTS WHATS BEST FOR THEIR CHILDREN AND TEAM!!!
All we have to do is stick together and discuss the issues like adults.

Also one thing most of the people have forgotten is the last meeting got kinda shut down by the forces of nature,I hope the meeting tomorrow will get more accomplished . [/B]

Hi,

Yes we are still thinking we will try it next spring for sure at the two Nationals close to us IL and MI. There are some riders at our local tracks and they go and also have a great time.

Thank You