PDA

View Full Version : 38mm intake boot

bholzgen
06-26-2012, 08:25 PM
Bought a 38mm carb, and need a boot that will fit it. Also going to need a throttle cable. Where do I buy a new cable for the 38mm air striker carb?

Thanks, Blake

danhung11
06-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Go to your local bike shop and tell them exactly what you have, they will be able to get a motion pro cable for you for $20 bucks or so, perhaps slightly higher. Just make sure you have the fitting correct on the top if it's a Keihn, there should be a brass adjustment screw type deal.

I have a nice UPP adapter if you need one, it's the one for the carb to intake. The stock one should work, just a little tight similar to the 86 boot.

wilkin250r
06-27-2012, 01:01 PM
The stock boot will fit, you just need to heat it up to make it pliable.

What I generally do is, with the carb off the bike, I put the end of the boot in really hot (almost boiling) water for a few seconds, this is the best way to heat it up without risk of burning or melting it. I dry it with a towel real quick, and muscle it onto the carb, and let the whole thing cool. The boot will stay that size when you pull it off, and make installing it on the bike much easier.

As for the cable, you need to have a cap on your carburetor. The stock carb had the cap built into the cable and it won't fit a larger carb. As long as you have the cap, then Motion Pro part number 01-0604 is what you want. It's for a stock 250r thumb throttle to a 38mm PWK carb (or any Keihin carb larger than stock).

bholzgen
06-28-2012, 05:51 AM
It looks like there is a small rip in my intake boot. Before I try and put the carb on, I should probably just replace it.. I am talking about the rubber intake from the reeds to the carb.

deathman53
06-28-2012, 07:29 PM
for the throttle cable you can also get the cable for a 85 atc250r ONLY 85. Don't get a 86 atc250r cable, its the same as 86-89 trx. Contrary to what alot of people think, 85 and 86 used different carbs and cables, thumb throttle stayed the same, 85 had a 34mm round slide and 86(86-89 trx) had a 34mm oval/flat slide. If your throttle won't open the bigger carb fully, get a terry cable throttle or throttle for a 83/84 atc250r.