PDA

View Full Version : Gettin Ready To Drag Race The 400ex! What Do You Guys Think?

cheater13
06-25-2012, 09:43 PM
So I'm gettin ready to drag race my 400 again, but this time I got more stuff for it. I'm ordering razrs next Friday since I barely had any tread on my holeshots last year and since I kept pulling up, I got a cjm front and rear lowering kit. I got some other cosmetic stuff, but that just makes it look fancy haha. And for the drag info, the track is about 300ft. Well here it is:

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/65de7558.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/590ecf91.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/007945e1.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/90737dd6.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/a338b139.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/f9bb8bbc.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/aeee0458.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/89d1573a.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/8974bef7.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/2f7a6ee4.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/fcb45749.jpg

And one for the ladies :P
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/b82049a2.jpg

Well, there's about every angle of the thing so what do you guys think? I'm still thinking of adding an aluminum air box and oil tank before racing and if I could, I would like um air scoops because I don't really like the diamond-plated ones. Oh and don't forget about the 40 dollar led kit off eBay for looks!

Do you guys have any comments, suggestions, or opinions?

Here's my old thread from last year drag racing:
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=473471&highlight=cheater13

400man
06-26-2012, 12:25 AM
looks good to me. Are you gonna be racing against other bikes thats setup like yours?

and also........that black front bumper..........it'll probably slow you down........want to sell it to me? :D :D

chronicsmoke
06-26-2012, 05:58 AM
how does it handle like that? It looks like you're on the ground, haha.

Are you only using them for drag racing?

cheater13
06-26-2012, 06:44 AM
400man: Not entirely. I'm racing in stock and the beginner class like last year. And I think there's another class but I forget what it is. But, ill be racing all kinds of fourwheelers, just not them strictly drag racing banshees. I'll probably get smoked by the same yfz I got killed by last year though. But hahaha nah I don't want to sell that. I got it for a steal for only 40 bucks and painted it black.

chronic: I actually been ridin it through fields and all with it and it handles really nice even though people bein saying how crappy it handled with that kit. But that rear strut is about 3 inches from the ground so I can't do trail ridin with it. And yeah, it's for drag racing only.

400man
06-26-2012, 06:54 AM
aite just thought id ask about the bumper ;) I cant find a used one anywhere at all.

And idk if you got any atv rodeos around there, but that setup would work good for like barrel racing and pole racing and stuff. heres a old video of me doin some barrel racing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz71y4rnkNQ

TacicalRedneck
06-26-2012, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by 400man
aite just thought id ask about the bumper ;) I cant find a used one anywhere at all.

And idk if you got any atv rodeos around there, but that setup would work good for like barrel racing and pole racing and stuff. heres a old video of me doin some barrel racing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz71y4rnkNQ

Sorry to get off topic, but...

HEY! I LOVE YOUR VIDEOS! I used to watch the black mtn videos time and time again! Even had a few bookmarked! Awesome vids!
but need some more banshee vids!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGOjLfRTGdI&feature=plcp

JOHNDOE83
06-26-2012, 03:07 PM
The setup looks good!

Just keep in mind anything you can take off WILL make it faster, if its just for a few races then your trail riding for a few months. I would take off as much as possible, ditch the bumper, air scoops, skid plates, nerf bars.

Thats probally 10+ lbs right there, thats good for a foot of distance in 300ft, remember if a inch can win a race a foot is REALLY good and weight makes all the difference when other motors are compareable to yours.

The lowering kit looks good, they handle really well or even better then the stock ride height, I used mine for all sorts of offroading stuff to, so your safe using it for sure. Your rear is really low, but it will be awesome at the drag strip.

If you see a big difference at the next race, maybe you'll take more weight off for future races....:blah:

cheater13
06-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
The setup looks good!

Just keep in mind anything you can take off WILL make it faster, if its just for a few races then your trail riding for a few months. I would take off as much as possible, ditch the bumper, air scoops, skid plates, nerf bars.

Thats probally 10+ lbs right there, thats good for a foot of distance in 300ft, remember if a inch can win a race a foot is REALLY good and weight makes all the difference when other motors are compareable to yours.

The lowering kit looks good, they handle really well or even better then the stock ride height, I used mine for all sorts of offroading stuff to, so your safe using it for sure. Your rear is really low, but it will be awesome at the drag strip.

If you see a big difference at the next race, maybe you'll take more weight off for future races....:blah:
Thanks John! And I was thinking about that weight on their but I want my fourwheeler to look sick too when I race! I don't have skids so that won't be a problem but I'll probably just keep the bumper and nerfs on there even if it might help a tad by takin them off. And yeah, I still do some offroading with it but I need to watch the strut cause it's super close to the ground. I was thinking them front tires might slow me down since they are kind of high profile compared to last years but I did get both tires and wheels for free so I can't really complain. I was going to get paddle tires or whatever but i don't know how they would do in the sticky dirt we drag race in so i'm just goint to stick to original razrs. Maybe next year, i'll invest in some new stock 400ex tires for drag racing with.

This is my "spend a crapload of money year" and see how i do. Next time it will be revisions of how I can go faster and do better. :devil:

cheater13
06-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Bump

sab24711
06-28-2012, 06:56 PM
stage hot 2 cam
junk yard turbo (saab)

dont FUC* around if your gonna drag race
add boost

JOHNDOE83
06-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by sab24711

dont FUC* around if your gonna drag race
add boost

I tried that it didnt work.....:chinese:

400exshop
06-29-2012, 06:38 AM
I can help you get that bike to run in the 4.5 to 5.0 class. But you will have to deside if your going to just drag race or play like your a drag racer.....lol

Do it right and GO BIG or stay small and play.:eek2: :D

cheater13
06-29-2012, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by 400exshop
I can help you get that bike to run in the 4.5 to 5.0 class. But you will have to deside if your going to just drag race or play like your a drag racer.....lol

Haha dang that would be a fast 400ex! But as much as I would like to get them times, I still want to field and trail ride the thing :P

JOHNDOE83
06-29-2012, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by 400exshop

That aint that fast....:devil:

I ran a consistant 5.6ish in actual 300ft with a nra approved light system.

Thats with 100% stock frame with drag struts without nos...:blah:

Ive been thinking of doing some traveling to race tracks within a few states distance, florida is kinda ATV hating and theres NOWHERE to ride and the drag strips arent getting any turn outs lately, Im like the only guy that wants to race in FL.

cheater13
06-29-2012, 04:29 PM
That aint that fast....:devil:

I ran a consistant 5.6ish in actual 300ft with a nra approved light system.

Thats with 100% stock frame with drag struts without nos...:blah:

Ive been thinking of doing some traveling to race tracks within a few states distance, florida is kinda ATV hating and theres NOWHERE to ride and the drag strips arent getting any turn outs lately, Im like the only guy that wants to race in FL.
I wish I could run those times! Haha. But I had a question for everyone...

Would a pair of brand new maxxis razrs or a brand new pair of gbc sandsharks do better with drag racing? I found a steal on the sandsharks with brand new rims. They are the exact same price as razr tires by themselves. What do you guys think? I might just start another thread with that question later on.

powerbomb400
06-29-2012, 05:58 PM
If its sandy soil the sand sharks would fine but if its hard packed dirt they will do alot of spinning. If you didn't want to.spend alot of money on Maxxis Rzr I would look at the GBC X-Rex tires. Same pattern as the Rzr's but cheaper price.

cheater13
06-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by powerbomb400
If its sandy soil the sand sharks would fine but if its hard packed dirt they will do alot of spinning. If you didn't want to.spend alot of money on Maxxis Rzr I would look at the GBC X-Rex tires. Same pattern as the Rzr's but cheaper price.
Alright thanks for the input. If I can, I'm goin to try to find some of them drag racing front tires though. Ill probably end up getting them razrs cause I still need riding around tires because my holeshots are worn down.

But what would be a good sprocket setup for this 300ft drag? I don't really want to change them unless it will help me alot though.

powerbomb400
06-30-2012, 08:50 AM
Maybe some of the guys that do alot of drag racing will chime in for a answer.

cheater13
06-30-2012, 09:14 AM
John needs to get back in this thread :P but if anyone could help me on that sprocket question, that'll be cool.

But I just found some drag front tires and the guy only wants 75 bucks for them. What so you guys think?

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/ebc7c6c1.jpg

powerbomb400
06-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Don't sound like a bad deal to me.

JOHNDOE83
06-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Ya those fronts look good, they look just like the ones i just bought, the tires alone brand new for the pair are about $70.

As far as your sproket question goes, depending on your rear tires and HP your capable of.

What you want is to either be toped out in 4th or almost toped 5th at the end of the track.

I ran a 16/39 with 21in paddles my first few races and was either toped in 3rd or barely in 4th at the end of the track, I went to 13/39 and stayed in gear slightly longer to get high RPMs out of it and it benefitted my setup for some faster times, toped in 4th or 5th.

So depending on your motor and other aspects you may want atleast a 14 or 13t front sproket, I was gonna try a 12t but did a motor swap and have to start all over again now.

Your gonna have to shift real quick to get good 300ft times.

Good luck....:blah:

cheater13
06-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Ya those fronts look good, they look just like the ones i just bought, the tires alone brand new for the pair are about $70.

As far as your sproket question goes, depending on your rear tires and HP your capable of.

What you want is to either be toped out in 4th or almost toped 5th at the end of the track.

I ran a 16/39 with 21in paddles my first few races and was either toped in 3rd or barely in 4th at the end of the track, I went to 13/39 and stayed in gear slightly longer to get high RPMs out of it and it benefitted my setup for some faster times, toped in 4th or 5th.

So depending on your motor and other aspects you may want atleast a 14 or 13t front sproket, I was gonna try a 12t but did a motor swap and have to start all over again now.

Your gonna have to shift real quick to get good 300ft times.

Good luck....:blah:
There's the drag racin man! :devil: But ok I'm going to nab them fronts up Thursday. I wish I got all if them because he only wanted 150 for everything. And I'm assuming my front sprocket is a 15t since it's an 05+? I might drop down a tooth if it will help me out. My engine specs are in my sig by the way. And I'm goin to try out drag racing with a new set of original razrs and see how they do. I need a riding around tire anyway. I might eventually get a set for specifically drag racing, but I'm still unsure of what to get... Paddles like the ams ones off rockymountainatv or try to find some stockers. What do you think John?

TheAwesomehonda
06-30-2012, 10:53 PM
05+ would be 14 tooth stock.

JOHNDOE83
07-01-2012, 05:38 PM
I would get the ams from rockymountain, they are cheap and exactly what you need. They would be a good entry level tire, dont spend money on skat traks unless your gonna be hardcore racing or dune riding.

For the price rockymountain has them at, I almost bought a set just to have around.

The paddles are good for our motors instead of having 4snow type tires, 4 snows need HIGH RPMs to expand at high speeds to be effective. Paddles are best for 4 stroke motors cause the launch is what counts the most, paddles will launch you fast and hard.

If you can launch faster then a 450r, he will have a hard time catching you farther down the track.

Just imagine how mad everyone will get when they loose to a 400ex.

Me and 400exshop know how that is...:blah:

cheater13
07-02-2012, 10:58 AM
I would get the ams from rockymountain, they are cheap and exactly what you need. They would be a good entry level tire, dont spend money on skat traks unless your gonna be hardcore racing or dune riding.

For the price rockymountain has them at, I almost bought a set just to have around.

The paddles are good for our motors instead of having 4snow type tires, 4 snows need HIGH RPMs to expand at high speeds to be effective. Paddles are best for 4 stroke motors cause the launch is what counts the most, paddles will launch you fast and hard.

If you can launch faster then a 450r, he will have a hard time catching you farther down the track.

Just imagine how mad everyone will get when they loose to a 400ex.

Me and 400exshop know how that is...:blah:
Yeah I'll end up probably gettin them tires eventually, but would a 10 or 8 inch rim be better with them? I cant get them in 9 inch unfortunately. I was thinking of gettin razrs because I still need everyday rear tires. I'm just goin to have to find some other rear rims so I can get both sets. But would razrs be good drag racing tires? And yeah, I beat some banshees and a kfx450 with mine and they were surprised. I just get killed by them yfz450s!

JOHNDOE83
07-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Razrs are good all around riding and racing tires but they arent that great of drag racing tires.

As far a rim size, I just shipped two 22-10-10 duro scorchers and together with .125 blue lable rims, they weighed 52lbs. I have a set of 8in steel wheels that weigh less then the 10x9 rims.

If you got 8in g-force gp wheels or 8in blue lables they would be the best for drag racing.

If you need the razrs and just cant afford to get the paddles at the same time, I would just get and use the new razrs this time around, save up or keep looking for good ebay and craigslist deals for paddles.

I bought my 8 paddle skats with rims for $80 on craigslist.

I also just bought a almost NEW set of 4snows with new rims for $112 on ebay. "free shipping"

The deals are out there if you are patient.

cheater13
07-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Razrs are good all around riding and racing tires but they arent that great of drag racing tires.

As far a rim size, I just shipped two 22-10-10 duro scorchers and together with .125 blue lable rims, they weighed 52lbs. I have a set of 8in steel wheels that weigh less then the 10x9 rims.

If you got 8in g-force gp wheels or 8in blue lables they would be the best for drag racing.

If you need the razrs and just cant afford to get the paddles at the same time, I would just get and use the new razrs this time around, save up or keep looking for good ebay and craigslist deals for paddles.

I bought my 8 paddle skats with rims for $80 on craigslist.

I also just bought a almost NEW set of 4snows with new rims for $112 on ebay. "free shipping"

The deals are out there if you are patient.
I mean, I have holeshots on right now but they only have about 30% tread left on them. Them Gforce wheels are under 50 bucks so that isn't too bad then.. But switching from 9 to 8 would require changing the sprockets right? I might be able to make the holeshots last me a few more months, but I just might take your advice and wait on a set on eBay to show up. Theres some sandsharks on there right now for 160 for both the rims and tires but I saw bad reviews about them. I might just try razrs this year because that dirt I race on is super sticky! I hooked up good with my holeshots that barely had tread left last year haha.

And would getting 10x8, 9x8, or 8x8 wheels be better for drag racing? Some of them have different offsets and I'm new to that so sorry for the questions. :P

JOHNDOE83
07-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Rim size doesnt matter for sprokets, only tire height.

Offset doesnt matter, I flip the rear wheels around so that they sit closer together, I also fliped the fronts to make it more narrow, but you can only do that if the front brakes are removed.

cheater13
07-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Rim size doesnt matter for sprokets, only tire height.

Offset doesnt matter, I flip the rear wheels around so that they sit closer together, I also fliped the fronts to make it more narrow, but you can only do that if the front brakes are removed.
Thanks for all the help John! But the only bad thing is that the ams tires only come in two sizes:

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/8bfdfc21.jpg

So it's either I get an 8 inch rim and have to run 18s or get a 10 inch rim so I can run my original tire height I have now.

Another thing with the drag track I race in is, it's sticky. You hook up pretty quick most of the time and that might be why all them high powered 450s/banshees run 400ex tires. I see very few paddles up there though. What do you think I should do? You're the big drag racer so I'm learning here. :D

cheater13
07-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Alright well i just called a guy about the drag track. He told me that paddles wouldn't be able to dig down deep enough on the track due to it being hard packed. He said ohtsus would be my best bet and the douglas .125 wheels 9x9.

So what do you think guys? If i get some extra money i'll be getting some ohtsus(72 bucks apiece) and some Douglas .125 wheels(48 bucks apiece). He reffered the 9x9 ones. And i'll be getting some drag front tires too.

If i can't afford that tire setup, i'll be getting razrs mounted on my stock rims for now until i can.

What do you think John? And everyone else?

chronicsmoke
07-03-2012, 11:54 AM
I'd honestly just get an all around setup like razrs/holeshots/equivilant on stock/equivilant rims unless you plan on really getting into drag racing.

Seems like alot of work/money to go to the strip once or twice a year.. imo/

cheater13
07-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
I'd honestly just get an all around setup like razrs/holeshots/equivilant on stock/equivilant rims unless you plan on really getting into drag racing.

Seems like alot of work/money to go to the strip once or twice a year.. imo/
That's probably what I'll end up doing. Atleast I got my rear tire/wheel racing setup picked out for when i do get into it more. But I'm goin to pick up drag front tires tonight or Thursday for only 70 bucks so atleast I got them to test out. I'll probably just go with razrs on my stock rear wheels this time around. And here's some pictures of last year so you can see how the dirt is pretty hard packed (This was after an all-day rain storm)

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/458e3105.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/f7c46967.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/92c42d49.jpg

As you can see its pretty hard-packed. I guess I'll save the few hundred from the blue labels and ohtsus and get the razr rears on stock rims for now and see how they do. Alot of tires really hook up here so i'm sure razrs will do alright. But eventually i want them .125 blue labels with ohtsus since their lighter and i been told the ohtsus grab more.

cheater13
07-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Scored some razrs on Kawasaki rims! About 80% tread left too and all for 100 bucks! Just need to get the bend out of the one rim when they get here:

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/12a6df56.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/64959340.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/1f2006df.jpg

400exshop
08-28-2012, 01:50 PM
what track is that? where is it at? also john i will be in GA. on 9/8/12 for a race if you would like to come up. give me a call at 803-444-0995 or text me on the same #

Thanks Eric of EJRacing......aka ericcrip

cheater13
08-28-2012, 04:16 PM
300ft and it's on McConnellsburg, PA.