PDA

View Full Version : soft ride without low ground clearance?

400man
06-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Im having a little trouble getting my suspension dialed in to better suite my needs. I weigh about 140lbs and have HLS front shocks and a gt thunder rear link and JET revlaved shock. I dont think im gonna be doing any more xc races for awhile (maybe next year at my home town track is all) and I had my suspension set kinda soft and a low ride height and it worked awesome for racing. but for trail riding on hard technical rocky trails where theres alot of utility and sxs's, low ground clearance sucks balls and this last ride trip down at brimstone in TN, KILLED my nerf bars and did a number on my frame skid plate.

so ive tried just tightening the preload on the shocks to make it set higher but now it rides so rough that it beats me to death and to me doesnt handle as good as when the shocks were set softer and more plush. So what would be the best way to get more ground clearance and still keep the shocks soft and plush? maybe go to 23in front and 22in rear tires and setup the gearing to match???

Stickman400
06-24-2012, 10:24 PM
Tires and sprockets would get you the best ground clearance. As for your ride issue I would call Nick at jet and tell him your issue and see what he says. I would think he could valve it so you would have a taller ride height and maintain your ride.

01boneless
06-24-2012, 10:28 PM
call laz (gtthunder) tell him your issues he will set you up.

powerbomb400
06-25-2012, 06:51 AM
We ride there alot and I run 23" Rzr's2 front tires and 22" Rzr's2 rear tires. Don't use nerf bars for they are rock hangers. To a certain extent ground clearance will always be a challenge. We bash our skids all the time. I figure that is what they are for.

400man
06-25-2012, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by powerbomb400
We ride there alot and I run 23" Rzr's2 front tires and 22" Rzr's2 rear tires. Don't use nerf bars for they are rock hangers. To a certain extent ground clearance will always be a challenge. We bash our skids all the time. I figure that is what they are for.

yep that is true about the nerfs :p , I was riding kinda fast and I have no idea what I hit but it caught the front corner of my nerf bar and bent it the whole nerf bar back and bent the subframe back to where it was rubbing the chain.

Now im running just some old tusk aluminum heel haurds and stock foot pegs and they dont hang nearly as low as those propeg alba nerf bars.

Hey do you got any good pics of your bike? id like to see what it looks like with the 23/22 combo tires.

powerbomb400
06-25-2012, 11:28 AM
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa377/powerbomb400/020912163315.jpg Here's my 400.

powerbomb400
06-25-2012, 11:33 AM
I've been running a 13/38 but have went to a 14/39 this last time around. I wanted to raise my top speed up some. You do lose some power cause the rear wheels are bigger but you can compensation with spocket selection.

400man
06-29-2012, 12:09 PM
well I got me some new front tries, some 23-7x10 gbc x-rex's. And DAM those suckers are tall :p . I think I got a pretty good deal on em for 150$ shipped for that big of a tire. These should help keep me up off the ground pretty good. I like the look to, makes it look like a desert or baja race bike :blah:

powerbomb400
06-29-2012, 03:22 PM
It helped me alot. One example is çlimbing the rock section on T105 at Brimstone. It's funny to see the expression on people's face when you climb obstacles that normally 4x4 do. Adding a inch on a sport quad don't seem like alot but it does make difference.

JOHNDOE83
06-29-2012, 03:51 PM
You could get a adjustable rear link, I have the dura blue one. Its nice cause you can raise or lower the quad or even have stock ride height "fully adjustable".

I would set the shocks back to were they feel good then add the adjustable strut with a higher setting.

dxcody
06-29-2012, 10:12 PM
Lol for some reason when i saw that pic it made me think of a 300ex...

Idk might just be me.

powerbomb400
06-30-2012, 03:33 AM
It must be you. What does yours look like? Mine is a 05 400ex and setup up to ride in the mountains. I see in your avatar that you like GNCC. They have a race at Brimstone called King of the Mountain. You should come down and run it. Its like a 3 hour hare scramble. We get alot of people from Indiana come down and ride Brimstone. They say there is nothing like Brimstone there.

400man
06-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by powerbomb400
It must be you. What does yours look like? Mine is a 05 400ex and setup up to ride in the mountains. I see in your avatar that you like GNCC. They have a race at Brimstone called King of the Mountain. You should come down and run it. Its like a 3 hour hare scramble. We get alot of people from Indiana come down and ride Brimstone. They say there is nothing like Brimstone there.

I think its cause the oversize tires make the bike look a little smaller and shorter at a glance in that pic, which is where he got the idea that it looks like a 300ex lol :p cause I almost had the same idea. And also with the way the front plastics are solid red and the rounded hood.

TheAwesomehonda
06-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by 400man
I think its cause the oversize tires make the bike look a little smaller and shorter at a glance in that pic, which is where he got the idea that it looks like a 300ex lol :p cause I almost had the same idea. And also with the way the front plastics are solid red and the rounded hood. Yeah i think that is why to. The 300ex has 22 in rear tires i believe.