PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into mx and have a few questions?

nate99
06-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Getting back into mx racing and need some advice. I finally learned how to whip but sometimes i cant bring the quad level so i land crooked... Also holding in the clutch in the air and shifting down wont do anything bad to the quad right... and last how to brake tap?

Thank you

01boneless
06-24-2012, 10:31 PM
1. whips take practice just have to learn to shift your weight and push the bars.
2.shouldent aslong as you need to dont have it screaming and down shift for no reason.
3. pull the clutch and tap the back break.when it levels out relase the clutch and land

slightlybent47
06-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Most of the whips I see done are landed on an angle. It would be very hard to get the bike back to a perfectly level plane before touch down. Carful with them whips and getting fancy, I see riders crash land because they didn’t get it back level before touch down.
Shifting in the air should be no deferent then on the ground.
Make sure you have the clutch pulled in before you break.

nate99
06-25-2012, 05:54 PM
thanks for the help you guys.

MX MaNiAc 06
06-26-2012, 06:41 AM
I never pull in the clutch when I downshift in the air. I actually never pull in the clutch when I downshift. But don't take advice from me.. I break everything lol

01boneless
06-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
I never pull in the clutch when I downshift in the air. I actually never pull in the clutch when I downshift. But don't take advice from me.. I break everything lol
I aint gonna lie man i dont alot of times either i found myself taking full laps up shifting and down shifting without the clutch but im trying to break that habit i dont wanna break something in the tranny hhaha i would always pull the clutch with brake tap tho unless you like stalling in the air

bbender85
06-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by nate99
...but sometimes i cant bring the quad level so i land crooked

precision shock & vibe clamps. they take the square-edge landings like a champ. their best asset IMO.

TheLane
06-26-2012, 10:31 AM
lol i powershift all over the place, other than in corners because feathering the clutch is your friend.

And yeah using the clutch when rear brake leveling is a necessity, i have more than once accedentally killed my motor in midair and it makes for a scary landing!

MX MaNiAc 06
06-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by TheLane
lol i powershift all over the place, other than in corners because feathering the clutch is your friend.

And yeah using the clutch when rear brake leveling is a necessity, i have more than once accedentally killed my motor in midair and it makes for a scary landing!

I always clutch up shifting but never down. I never use the rear brake in the air.. Heck I don't even have rear brakes. Raced without them a couple weekends ago. Did just fine lol!