PDA

View Full Version : Few Questions

jkosakowski
06-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Alright i have a few questions. Has anyone ever tried the tapered front wheel bearings. Do they actualy last longer than ball bearings. Also im getting ready to helicoil my valve cover bolt because its stripped. I have never taken the engine apart but im going to now. What special tools Will i need? I am going to buy a nice torque wrench. Just wonderin if i need anything special.

CJM
06-25-2012, 07:46 AM
No idea about the wheel bearings.

Only thing you need is a torque wrench and the honda service manual. Its very easy to take apart. Biggest thing to watch out for-when you put the valve cover back on DO NOT over tighten those bolts. I dont even use a torque wrench on them, I use a 1/4 ratchet and do it snug by hand.

jkosakowski
06-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Should i do them as tight as the oil filter cover...just so they are on there pretty much

CJM
06-25-2012, 09:23 AM
7 ft-lbs is the spec, trust me you dont want to over tighten them.

NacsMXer
06-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Tapered wheel bearings are supposed to be longer lasting and much stronger than the cylindrical type. I have front hubs by Hardkor hubs that use very expensive Timken tapered bearings. They spin with much less resistance than stock and take side loads better going into corners. It is also nice to be able to take the bearings out and repack them like you would on a car/trailer. Of course you can't just drop tapered bearings into your stock hubs; you need to find an aftermarket hub that uses them.

jkosakowski
06-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Thy make it now were you can use the stock hub with the kit its only 51 bucks.

NacsMXer
06-26-2012, 11:49 AM
I gotcha, that's pretty cool. If your stock bearings are worn out it might be worth checking out.

Zakradu398
06-26-2012, 12:01 PM
CJM directed me the other day to boss bearings for my new double row bearings( thanks bro). And when I received them, they had a card in there showing there tapered bearing kits that work on stock hubs. Theysay they last 5 times longer than ball bearings. I'm thinking about looking into them but didn't see any prices yet

EDIT: didn't read late replies before I posted but jkosakowski beat me to it.

Wondering, do you happen to know mike kosakowski from monongahela?

jkosakowski
06-26-2012, 01:36 PM
No.... i dont know him.

jkosakowski
06-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Ok ive been looking at my service manual and i was wondering if you HAVE to take the rockers off by the way it looks all i need to do is take the cam out and sprocket. Thanks for the help