PDA

View Full Version : Starting Issues

Dibble_Brandon
06-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Hi Guys! Got a question...

My 2000 400ex starter will catch for a second and then just spins? I have already replaced the reduction gear and starter gear.

With the starter cover off, the starter is spinning both the reduction gear, and the starter gear, however it will not turn the engine.

Next, Should i replace the one way starter clutch? While doing that, should I also replace the starter flywheel?

My Father way saying the starter might not have enough power anymore, but it is till turning the gears pretty dang fast?

Any help is going to be much appreciated, was suppose to go ride the Florence, Oregon dunes tomorrow :(

(Here is the parts diagram @ bike bandit) http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2000-honda-trx400ex/o/m14552#sch94155

(Extra Clarification)
I have replaced parts 6 and 7 on the diagram with no luck, would replacing parts 3 and 5 fix my problem?

Scro
06-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Sounds like the starter clutch to me.

jman7290
06-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Yeah, its the starter clutch. Fix it soon before it gernads and trashes your flywheel, stator, pickup coil, etc. It happened to my brother and me. We raised the compression of our quads and installed hot cams which has no decompression mechanism. We got higher torque starters to overcome that problem.

Dibble_Brandon
06-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Cool, I ordered the starter clutch and will install it as soon as it arrives.

Thanks guys!

Dibble_Brandon
06-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Hello again, I got the starter clutch installed and the engine is turning over normally now.
Thanks for the help! I'm going to need a little more of it :D

Now that I have gotten everything put back together, I have no spark. The manual is kind of confusing to me when it comes to testing the electrical system.
So far I have checked and/or replaced the following.

All connections have been double checked by myself and my father

the battery is holding a good charge and reading 11+v while cranking

brand new ground wire (to subframe)

brand new starter wire (was melted to exhaust from previous owners awesome cable routing)

brand new positive battery wire and fuse holder

I am getting power at the blue/yellow wire on the 4pin connector that plugs into the CDI

Nothing at the primary black/yellow coil wire

If I forgot anything, I will be glad to gather any further information you could require in helping me trace down the problem

So, What parts am I looking at replacing now? CDI, Coil and possibly the Stator? :confused: :( :confused:

powerbomb400
06-30-2012, 07:30 AM
Check and make sure you don't have the kill switch in off position. Electric problems can be a pain. You have check one thing at a time and isolate the problem. Wife's 250ex just quit out of the blue. Checked thethe CDI. Thought it was the stator then the pulse generator. Ended up being wire broken in the wiring harness.

Dibble_Brandon
06-30-2012, 12:01 PM
HAHAHA Kill switch, OH boy... That isnt the problem this time, but has been in the past :D

That is now the first thing I always check, had it trick me to many times when I first got the 400.

Going threw the ignition part of the manual and checking voltages at various areas, I have found there is nothing coming out of the 4pin Stator/Alternator plug with the blue/yellow and green wire, However there is power coming out of the black/red wire while cranking. The blue/yellow and green wires are part of the timing system, correct?

Maybe when I took the sidecase off the get to the stater clutch, something happened to the wires for the stator somehow? I only unplugged them so I could completely remove the sidecase from the ATV. Those are the only electrical wires I have messed with since it has been ridden last other than troubleshooting.

Dibble_Brandon
07-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Yesterday morning before my family left for the dunes, I unplugged, then plugged all connections back in. I also removed my spark plug cap and tightened it. Fired right up and ran great all day :D

I honestly think the culprit was a loose spark plug cap but I did everything at once, so I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks for the help everyone!!!! :D