PDA

View Full Version : 440EX Problem

Nate105
06-23-2012, 10:41 AM
hey guys,
to make along story short I was changing the oil on my wheeler and one of my buddys stepped on my oil filter and crushed it so I had to run to the honda dealer and pick up a new one up. when I was gone my wifes father took it for a ride with no oil in it. he said he only rode it for about 2 min. the problem is that now it smokes on the decel and the valves are pretty loud. what I did so far was check the compression and that was 152 cold so the piston and cylinder should be fine. anyone have any ideas

TheAwesomehonda
06-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Wait someone rode it for 2 minutes with no oil in it at all :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: and it still runs????

Nate105
06-23-2012, 10:58 AM
yea tell me about it I wasn't very happy when i got home. but the compression didn't drop it stayed the same as it was before it got ran out of oil

Stickman400
06-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Deff. get oil in it and let it isle for about 15 or 20 minutes checking the level every 5 minutes or so. Not much you can do other than keep an eye on everything and listen. How did he ride it? Wasn't the oil filter cover off the engine? Who would ride it like that?

Nate105
06-23-2012, 12:02 PM
I have oil in it I took it for one ride thats when I noticed it smoking on the decel and the valves were pretty loud. the filter cover was on because I didn't want some crap getting in there and I have to drive 20 min to get to the honda dealer and he just idled around cause he took my daughter for a lap around the yard.

JOHNDOE83
06-23-2012, 12:35 PM
I saw in your cig that your 440 only has a 155 main jet:eek2:

That could be causing a mist of white smoke on decel from being to lean, it could also be the cause of loud ticking in the engine.

A 440 kit should at the very least use a 170 main jet, IMO you should have atleast 190 on the main jet.

It is possible the smoke has been there for awhile and gone un-noticed, since you had a recent "mini" disaster you may just now be noticing it.

If it literally was 2mins of total run time, it should be ok.

152 psi is good compression, a few years ago my 440 tested 165 and it was fairly new.

Nate105
06-23-2012, 05:30 PM
170 main is way to rich for me to run the jetting I have now is perfect I checked the plug and its a cardboard brown color.

Nate105
06-23-2012, 06:26 PM
I just got done checking the oil from my last ride I did when I noticed it was burning oil and in about a 4 to 5 hour ride I was down 6 oz of oil and I'm thinking most of that was from the decel cause thats when my buddys also noticed it blowing blue smoke. my last ride was about 2 weeks ago

CJM
06-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Your father in law owes you a new topend.

JOHNDOE83
06-24-2012, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by Nate105
170 main is way to rich for me to run the jetting I have now is perfect I checked the plug and its a cardboard brown color.

The cardboard brown is from your needle and your pilot jet and has nothing to do with the main jet, you cant see main jet on a plug unless you physically cut the plug open.

Your main jett will not be to rich unless it stutters and sputters at wide open throttle, then you can back down main jet sizes till it stops and fully revs out.

If stock is a 148 main jet, exhaust companys reccomend a 155 if your using a slip-on for a stock motor, 155 is just way to small for a 440 kit.

I highly reccomend you change this or you will have future problems for sure.

01boneless
06-24-2012, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Your father in law owes you a new topend.

this^ i would have been sooo pis***

Drfat400ex
06-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
The cardboard brown is from your needle and your pilot jet and has nothing to do with the main jet, you cant see main jet on a plug unless you physically cut the plug open.

Your main jett will not be to rich unless it stutters and sputters at wide open throttle, then you can back down main jet sizes till it stops and fully revs out.

If stock is a 148 main jet, exhaust companys reccomend a 155 if your using a slip-on for a stock motor, 155 is just way to small for a 440 kit.

I highly reccomend you change this or you will have future problems for sure. Holy crap!! The sig says 150!! How can you be running a 150 in a 440? haha a lot of people change it right to 150 from stock just because of it's lean factory setting.

Nate105
06-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Thats how I did my jetting I started out with a 180 main ran it spit and sputter went down one jet size at a time and this is were i ended up 150 main and with the 150 it still blow a little black when you rev it up. see I had me buddy port and polish the head and I think he opened the ports up to big. I was talking to the guys at the dealer and they think thats why i'm at the jetting that I'm at. I was worried about my jetting I thought it was to low myself.

Nate105
06-24-2012, 11:59 AM
so what do you guys think the top end is junk. i don't think the piston and cylinder is junk. I gained compression from the first time I checked it.

01boneless
06-24-2012, 12:00 PM
ive said it once and ill say it again, if you get good enough portwork done you will have to lean out the jetting i had a 85 in my quad stock after i built the motor and had it ported im at a 175.

Nate105
06-24-2012, 12:37 PM
thank you 01 boneless. I didn't want to have the jetting talked about this is what happened the last time I posted a question. I just want to know about the smoking on the decel after it got ran with out oil and the valves get louder. Oh I was pissed when i got home and say wheeler tracks in the drive way.

powerbomb400
06-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Well if it isn't locked up that a good sign. Did it use any oil before? I know that ours which are all air cooled use some in the summer when its hot. Which right now it says it 105 real feel on Accura Weather.

300ridr
06-25-2012, 01:51 PM
have you checked your valve clearance yet? i cant see that causing smoke but you could determine your noise..ive seen a z400 with valve problems smoke on the decel as well, so you could possibly have sticky valves in there

Otis.Leo
06-25-2012, 02:51 PM
where in WI are you?

Nate105
06-25-2012, 05:52 PM
No I haven't done my valves yet. I want to do that this weekend but I was hoping to get some ideas before I start working on it. I live in Prentice

Otis.Leo
06-27-2012, 06:20 AM
cool man... im just down hwy 8 from ya... where do you ride up there? we have a place by crivitz not too far from High Falls Flowage.

Nate105
06-27-2012, 05:27 PM
we ride all over fifield, iron county, black river falls, all over the state lol. so what do you think about that new law in wisconsin starting july 1st for wheelers

Otis.Leo
06-28-2012, 06:52 AM
i think its dumb however, i really think that with that law going into effect it help make the roads were were ride legal to ride on... 3 weeks ago we had to drive 15 min to get to any trails or roads we could ride. now i can just hop on and go. personally i plan to put my plate on hinges with a magnet on the bottom of it so it hangs for the dnr to see but if i gotta haul a** to get out of some trouble i can flip it up so you cant get my number :devil:

TheAwesomehonda
06-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Otis.Leo
i think its dumb however, i really think that with that law going into effect it help make the roads were were ride legal to ride on... 3 weeks ago we had to drive 15 min to get to any trails or roads we could ride. now i can just hop on and go. personally i plan to put my plate on hinges with a magnet on the bottom of it so it hangs for the dnr to see but if i gotta haul a** to get out of some trouble i can flip it up so you cant get my number :devil: I think the new law is pretty dumb to. I'm not even sure if i'm gonna registure my quads anymore b/c my exhaust is illegal anyways so if i get stopped by a cop(or DNR guy) i'm screwed.. Did you say that it will now be legal to ride quads on the road?

Nate105
06-28-2012, 05:22 PM
well friday i'm gonna pull the top of my motor apart and see what kind of damage there is and I will let you guys know.

Otis.Leo
06-29-2012, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
I think the new law is pretty dumb to. I'm not even sure if i'm gonna registure my quads anymore b/c my exhaust is illegal anyways so if i get stopped by a cop(or DNR guy) i'm screwed.. Did you say that it will now be legal to ride quads on the road?

we have a couple main roads quads aren't allowed on in the town of stephenson but all others are open now. including some of the sled trails.. all the towns and counties around us were road legal and you can drive anywhere... we were the gap.. either you drove all the way around stephenson or you had to trailer the quads to a place that allowed them.. no stephenson is good to go...

DNR - Damn Near Russia

Nate105
07-07-2012, 04:18 PM
ok guys I took the topend of my motor apart and the cylinder looks great nothing wrong there piston looks great you guys have any ideas why it would be burning oil on the decel.