PDA

View Full Version : better ride ?

nooch55
06-22-2012, 11:37 PM
Ok first thanks for all the help. My question is i ride trails but mainly like to ride our hay fields wide open but also like to hit some small jumps at times . My 400 suspension is stock and i would like to maybe widen it and lower it a little to get a little better stability but not hinder the small jumps. I don't want to put alot of cash into it right now so i have seen the wheel spacers on ebay are they any good any good cheap suggestions on widening and maybe a small lowering setup would be appreciated

Rohr397
06-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Ahhhh you've come to the right place!

I'll start with wheel spacers; they're not a great option in my opinion. They reduce the strength of the front end and provide a twitchy feeling. They also produce greater bump steer.

Width may be what you're seeking, but better handling for a low cost is no easy task. My recommendation is as follows.

1. Yfz450 shocks. These will require a bit of modification to install however they will lower the ride height a bit and improve the handling and performance of the front end.

2. Trx450r shocks. Also in need of minor modification. They will not provide lowered ride height, but they are also an improved feel over stock.

3. Ebay. If you watch it closely you may be able to find a cheap set of wider a-arms and long travel shocks to go with. It's unfortunate that you can't buy one or the other BUT that's the way it is and it's usually expensive.

These three options will give you the best results for front suspension on a budget. In all, I recommend a proper adjustment to the rear shock as well. A great way to get better handling is simply a tire and wheel change as well. The tread and size of tire will aid in getting the results you want. Stock tires and wheels can only get you so far. Doing this is about as good as it gets if you don't have a lot of money to spend. I would suggest taking these steps to see if it helps, if you're still unhappy it takes a bit more money to get what you want.

nooch55
06-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the advice i have polished 10 inch wheels all the way around and i am running razrs on the front and mud sharks on the back i think maybe the shocks have just had it not much cushion to them at all they feel like they are either fully extended or bottomed out all the time no in the middle feel

Drfat400ex
06-24-2012, 12:18 PM
I love my front end with my yfz shocks! I think the trx ones make it higher and thinner but I'm not sure, but the yfz make it ride nice. I ride pretty much the same as you and they fit my riding style great.