PDA

View Full Version : The threads load FAST without the pics loading!

SGA
03-07-2003, 06:05 AM
I have noticed something. Since the forums are set up so you have to click on the pics, I can FLY through the threads. The page loads very quick without the pics loading also. If I see a pic that might interest me, I click on it. It loads really fast, being a single pic. I love it the way it is now it is now, so much faster!

I know many members have high speed internet, but there is a ton of us on 56K.
I had no idea how much time was being used up waiting for a pageful of pics to load up.
One day I will have to break down and get DSL/cable. I have never been to EXR on a computer with High speed internet service, so I cannot compare the two.

YLW400
03-07-2003, 06:32 AM
SGA....I JUST got my cable connection at my house on Monday.........Lemme tell you, you will not want to go to dial up again, ever...lol But since I have had it, EXriders has been acting goofy. But I was looking on some other sites and it's unbelievable.

Glow Plug
03-07-2003, 06:35 AM
yeah i notiice the fourms are alot fast even with dail up sure the pics don't load up but no big deal then i can just clikc a few and carry onto the next page :D

exriderdude
03-07-2003, 06:42 AM
once you go cable or DSL you will never go back... my school has cable and its super fast, i dont even want to get the net at home now cuz its so slow:(

400exInMI
03-07-2003, 06:44 AM
At home, I use dial up and these pages w/pics would take forever to DL, now its like I have DSL or a cable modem..... Once again hats off to Ben!

QuadJunkies
03-07-2003, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by SGA
I have noticed something. Since the forums are set up so you have to click on the pics, I can FLY through the threads. The page loads very quick without the pics loading also. If I see a pic that might interest me, I click on it. It loads really fast, being a single pic. I love it the way it is now it is now, so much faster!

I know many members have high speed internet, but there is a ton of us on 56K.
I had no idea how much time was being used up waiting for a pageful of pics to load up.
One day I will have to break down and get DSL/cable. I have never been to EXR on a computer with High speed internet service, so I cannot compare the two. your right, its is alot faster than it was, but I personally liked where you didnt have to click on the pic to view it,is it going to stay this way?Or is this just a glitch?>:huh

QuadJunkies
03-07-2003, 07:06 AM
oops, nevermind, it was answered by someone else in another thread...:p :o

SGA
03-07-2003, 07:17 AM
From what I understand, the pics not loading when you open a page is only temporary.
Ben had to shut down some things on the site to find and repair the server problems.
The site should be running smoothly in a few days.

I wonder if in the user CP can you set your preferences for attachments(PICS) to load automaticly or not? This way members could choose between pics loading or not when they open a page. That would be a big help for us dial up guys.
I admit its nice for pics to show in the threads, but if it takes all day too see them, its just not worth it.

I'm just going to buck up some cash and get a dsl/cable modem.

Ben
03-07-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by SGA
From what I understand, the pics not loading when you open a page is only temporary.
Ben had to shut down some things on the site to find and repair the server problems.
The site should be running smoothly in a few days.

I wonder if in the user CP can you set your preferences for attachments(PICS) to load automaticly or not? This way members could choose between pics loading or not when they open a page. That would be a big help for us dial up guys.
I admit its nice for pics to show in the threads, but if it takes all day too see them, its just not worth it.

I'm just going to buck up some cash and get a dsl/cable modem.

SGA - yes, you can set that feature! :) Just go to your User CP, then your Options, then look for "Show image attachments and [img] code in Posts?" Select no to get the hyperlink instead :D Obviously that is automatic for the time being but once we switch back you can always make the switch! :cool:

Ben

SGA
03-07-2003, 12:20 PM
Thanks Ben! That will work out GREAT for us poor/cheap dial up guys. It will make surfing the site much faster. I'll set mine to click on the links for the pics. If a few people ooh and ahh over a pic, its prob worth seeing. Then i'll click on it.
Gosh, I kinda feel like a shaft of light has come down from the heavens:D

2fastandfurious
03-07-2003, 12:23 PM
for people with cable, wireless, or DSL should be able to have the CHOICE or option to have pics appear on the page. The new way for dial up people is great for THEM. But for everybody with the fast connection i would really like the old way to be an option.

SGA
03-07-2003, 12:29 PM
Ben is going to set it like it was AS SOON as the server probs are straightened out. The pics will show when you open the page.

The option in the user CP can be set if you do not want the pics to load when you open a page. A great tip for us 56K guys.

Rip_Tear
03-07-2003, 03:57 PM
Ya, even turing sigs and atav's off makes the site load faster. The no pics loading is really good with the site being odd on us.

Sparky416ex
03-07-2003, 04:47 PM
It didnt bother me before...obviously im a slow reader?:huh

bluebaron
03-07-2003, 08:08 PM
i think this sucks major ***** that was the funnest part of the site was looking at pics

Sparky416ex
03-08-2003, 04:35 AM
hey ben

my computer saved this site under like most visited sites...and it just poped up...real fast...no delay....now it actually seems to take longer...is that a setting on my computer?

SGA
03-08-2003, 10:52 AM
The site has been acting screwy. Loads fast one min, slow the next, sometimes not at all. Ben is doing some major things to make the site better/faster. Its just going to take some time to get the bugs out. All will get back to normal in a few days, we just need to have some paitence.

03-08-2003, 11:15 AM
site is pretty slow but im still going to go on it ...

QuadTrix6
03-08-2003, 04:57 PM
yea keep the pics the old way where they just come up im getting agravated over al this clicking :mad: :blah

roostin_dale
03-08-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
yea keep the pics the old way where they just come up im getting agravated over al this clicking :mad: :blah

I like it this way...im on dial up(cant afford anything else..lol)

Sparky416ex
03-09-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6

ME TOO! I have 56k and it connects at 34.6 usually. The whole clicking thing didnt help me because the text popped up first anyway...then id just scrole back up and look at the pics...now it takes twice as long!!!!!! :grr