PDA

View Full Version : Big bores

JDmurda
06-22-2012, 09:08 PM
I'd just like some thoughts and ideas since my 04 is almost ready for crank barrings I'd prefer bolt on tho all thoughts are welcome thanks

ride red 14
06-23-2012, 06:44 AM
i did a complete motor build this winter on my 05 450r. stock crank, stock cylinder bored and replated to 97mm. has a je 13:1 compression piston and hrc cam. pulls hard all the way from the bottom to the top. also did the same on my sons 04 450r except used a stock bore with a cp 13:1 piston and a hr +3 stroker crank. his is more snappy but not near as smooth as the bigger bore.

JDmurda
06-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Ok well any one have any experience with big bore kits which ones are good or bad likes dislikes

ds268
07-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Cylinder works makes a good cylinder for the budget minded. Next step up would be the Athena, followed by DASA and finally Sparks. It's all based on what power you're looking for but the CW will support more than enough for what you have intended however, the piston that comes with the kit flat out sucks. I highly recommend CP.

New450r
09-09-2012, 07:32 PM
I have a 96 for a 04-05 I will sell dirt cheep needs a piston just needs light hone to set new rings $75 plus whatever it is to ship if ya need pic ask. No ring grove

CJM
09-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Figured id ask this here..

For you guys running the 13:1 bores-race fuel only right?

@Ride Red: Who did you send the jug to, to be bored/plated? Im thinking of doing 12.25 venom piston (says pump gas friendly) and 480 kit.

Ive seen the CW stuff, its ok but there is better stuff out there.

ride red 14
09-09-2012, 08:31 PM
to be honest with you, i bought the cylinder and piston used off the org. looked brand new and was told it had about 4 hours on it. i bolted it on and ran it. been running strong since february with no issues. so to answer your question, i don't know where the work was done.
to answer your question about 13:1 and race fuel, we mix 93 and 110 at a rate of 50/50. both of our 450's seem to run fine with it.

CJM
09-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the info Ride Red.

I really rather not run CW but only other option is athena. I do wonder, couldnt I just use a big bore cp/je piston and possibly hone the bore to match if it isnt already corrected with the rings?

I know on many a 400 we left the ring tolerances a bit loose but never had an issue. Course you could just bore and bore and bore one of them cylinders till you got too 426cc. But everytime I had it done I had a shop bore it with the piston on hand to make sure it was right.

Going to be doing this project over the winter most likely.

ride red 14
09-09-2012, 09:03 PM
i reread my original post, mine is a 96mm not a 97mm. i don't think i would try to hone it to match, but that's just me. we are going to send my old cylinder out this winter to use on my son's bike. i am going to use a 96mm je 13:1 piston. i am going to buy the piston and rings and send them off with the cylinder to be bored and replated to match. we are sponsored by the local honda dealership, so i will use whoever they normally use to bore and replate. i would use your stock cylinder up to 96mm, anymore than that and i would be afraid that it would be getting too thin.

CJM
09-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Thats exactly what Im going to be doing, 480 kit. Might have to do a CW kit but buy my own piston. I dont like the pistons they use, they are usually junk.

ride red 14
09-09-2012, 09:11 PM
I agree. Je or cp would be my choice. Can't say anything about their cylinders, i have never used them or know anybody personally that has. I am sure someone with experience with them will chime in.

CJM
09-09-2012, 09:18 PM
My buddy has an 06 with the CW kit and stroker rod. 500cc. I mean its nice, but the CW jug looked basically like a reworked stock jug and they used a wiseco piston. Wisecos fine imho for a 400 or something but a 450r should have a higher quality piston if possible.

Wason ebay earlier and saw a CW kit with a namura piston ffs!

Athena is good quality, but Im not sure how you would size it for the piston.

Found this tho: http://www.maxrpms.net/shop/index.php/atv-utv-kits/atv-honda/trx450r-04-05.html stroker and bigbore kits. Not sure the quality of some of them tho. The place also bores and plates tho.