PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think about fox floats?

TacicalRedneck
06-22-2012, 04:05 PM
I havn't really heard much about these? What do you guys think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fox-Float-Front-Shocks-Honda-TRX-400EX-300EX-250EX-400X-/270991173004?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1855258c&vxp=mtr

$695 really doesn't SEEM to bad... what kind of a shock is this? Reading on them it doesn't seem like it could be very good having a pump and all.... Where i ride there are rocks everywhere... it would seem a bad hit may total this shock! But i'm just assuming here....

So... whats the news about these???

shaggy01
06-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Can't vouch for the quad shocks but Fox makes an awesome air shock for mountain bikes. The only issue i ever had was that they can leak down over time. Other than that, they were buttery smooth.

I've head alot say that a well set-up 450 shock is better than the standard floats or the elka stage 1's. And also heard the opposite.

Being that it is just the standard Float, you really dont have the adjustability like the upper level Evols. But i've been curious about these as well. I really like my 450 revalves but id be interested in trying a set of these Fox's sometime.

Hopefully someone who has some experience will share their .02.

BeefySTi
06-22-2012, 07:44 PM
i have seen Floats before, but not like that. the pump is always integrated on the ones I have seen. That being said, i have met a few people who run the ones with pumps built in, and they absolutely LOVED them. I cannot give an opinion on my own experience, but from what they told me they are great. a couple of them race GNCC all the time and they held up well.

Like i said, the ones I have seen have pumps built in at the top and bottom of the shock, and they were running double and triple rate springs. they were also about $1500-2000 a set for the fronts. so who knows.

Rohr397
06-22-2012, 09:06 PM
I wouldn't recommend those shocks. Quite honestly Fox Floats are great and all but I'd only recommend the Evol series. These will work good and all but it's like buying Stage 1 Elka's, yeah it's aftermarket but honestly they're probably only noticeably better in comparison to our stock shocks and certainly no better than the stockers on most of the 450's other than be tuned to the rider more accurately and getting the fancy look. I say get Evol's or get a good spring shock. Our local pro (Cody Irving) swapped his floats for the new PEP's on his Yfz.

Again, the Evol's are above and beyond. The top mx guys have been running them for awhile now. I'm not bashing Fox Floats at all, but I don't believe their lower quality line is worth the price. I can usually find better quality spring shocks for less than or equal to those Floats.

Rohr397
06-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by TacicalRedneck
[B]what kind of a shock is this? Reading on them it doesn't seem like it could be very good having a pump and all.... Where i ride there are rocks everywhere... it would seem a bad hit may total this shock! But i'm just assuming here..../B]

Wanted to add this. They're an air shock hence the name "float" rather than a shock with any springs in them. The result is less weight, more accurate tuning and a plush feel, again making it feel like you're floating across the ground. This technology has been around for awhile but it's finally gaining traction. The pump wouldn't be hard to carry around under the seat or in any of the storage compartments for trail riders, and for the track it can be left in the pits. Adjusting is quick and easy. Durability-wise, they're as strong as any shock and because there are no springs there are no vital parts exposed to the outside elements. This particular model is a bit smaller in diameter so it does lack there but it's no smaller in diameter than the stock 400ex shock body without the spring included. Fox is one of the top brands in ATV shocks as well as mountain bike shocks and even truck applications.

To prove my point here, take a look at the 2013 Crf450r, the front forks are now air shocks just like the Floats. Racer X Illustrated has a great video explaining this technology on the new Crf, which is identical to the way the Float works (see * below), so that might clear up any questions on the way the system works.

Just keep in mind what I said about this particular shock though, this is not the high quality Fox Float, it's the affordable version of their shock and I wouldn't suggest spending $700 on a watered down version of a great shock.

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khYeKLFKn3E

01boneless
06-22-2012, 09:19 PM
fox makes a awsome shock I bet those are wayy better then stock but as stated the evols are top of the line

witech
07-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Those are good shocks but I would buy a used set of evols anyday before a new pair of the cheaper version for the same price.