PDA

View Full Version : Torque Wrenches

Balaz_73*00
06-21-2012, 12:20 PM
So I'm looking into finally getting one for myself. I've been borrowing one for certain repairs, but I want to own my own now. I plan to start doing alot more of my motor work and I know everything inside the motor is critical to being torqued correctly. Im pretty sure I want a snap on, but now as I'm looking I see there are many models. I want to get one that will cover just about all specs i'd need. I see some nice 5-75 ft/lb ones that would cover just about everything on the quad. I easily have access to my girlfriends dads tools for anything beyond that. So I don't need to get anything with super high values.

So what do you guys use? I see some nice in/lb ones that are 100-1000 or so? Would that be more accurate for the lower values we work with? As we know, alot of the bolts we use are maily between 5-30 ft/lbs. Thanks for the input in advance!

fastredrider44
06-21-2012, 12:30 PM
You can torque just about anything on a 450 with a 3/8s drive torque wrench. I'm like you, I wondered about the accuracy of a big torque wrench on little stuff, so I bought a 3/8s drive for my toys. I also work on bigger stuff too, so i also have a 1/2 inch drive.

chronicsmoke
06-21-2012, 12:32 PM
I have a cheap one, but I haven't trusted it enough to use it on the internals yet.. I'd be interested in one that's accurate to as low as 5lbs

Balaz_73*00
06-21-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm certain I'm going with a 3/8 drive. Its just some 3/8th go from 50-250, 30-150 ect ect. I guess what I'm getting at is..would it be better to get say that 5-75 ft/lb 3/8ths or would something in in/lbs be better?

Scro
06-21-2012, 12:46 PM
For low torque situations, I only trusted beam-type.

CJM
06-21-2012, 04:20 PM
Under 20 ft-lbs I got by feel, sadly this can only be developed after years of mechanic work. For items that need precise torque I have found the following to work well:

SK, KD, gear wrench, snap on, matco, mac, craftsman (non digital and mostly the older ones). I currently own a 3/8 craftsman thats way old and doesnt lock on a setting (gotta check it while working) that still works great. Friend has a 1/2 SK we use on big stuff and he also has a harbor freight 1/4 thats basically junk.

The only time I use a torque wrench is on critical engine parts, most other items are fine if you do it by feel: EX I torqued the clutch basket nut with an impact gun-trust me its at least whatever the high torque it is and it aint failed yet and neither has anyone elses Ive worked on in this manner. But if I was doing head bolts I use thr torque wrench.

Pacheco_450r
06-21-2012, 06:56 PM
For the low torque stuff I would say the inch pound wrench will be much more accurate. Torque wrenches are the most accurate in the meat of their torque setting not on the high or low ends of the spectrum. The 5-75 would be great for everything else!

eastside 400
06-22-2012, 05:07 PM
you cant have one wrech that covers all the things you need, the torque wrenches get less accurate the closer they are to their limits at the top and bottom. i would suggest getting a 3/8 and a 1/2" the 1/4" arent really needed if you have a feel for tightening stuff by hand. if its in your budget, get split beam wreches, they are more accurate, quicker to adjust to spec and dont need to turn them back to zero every time

Ruby Soho
06-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Under 20 ft-lbs I got by feel, sadly this can only be developed after years of mechanic work. For items that need precise torque I have found the following to work well:

SK, KD, gear wrench, snap on, matco, mac, craftsman (non digital and mostly the older ones). I currently own a 3/8 craftsman thats way old and doesnt lock on a setting (gotta check it while working) that still works great. Friend has a 1/2 SK we use on big stuff and he also has a harbor freight 1/4 thats basically junk.

The only time I use a torque wrench is on critical engine parts, most other items are fine if you do it by feel: EX I torqued the clutch basket nut with an impact gun-trust me its at least whatever the high torque it is and it aint failed yet and neither has anyone elses Ive worked on in this manner. But if I was doing head bolts I use thr torque wrench.

aint that the truth.

i only use torque wrenches on important parts. i.e injector hold down bolts, head studs, most internal parts etc.. but anything external gets by feel. i dont know why but when i see guys torquing down stupid bolts it bothers me :o

CJM
06-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
aint that the truth.

i only use torque wrenches on important parts. i.e injector hold down bolts, head studs, most internal parts etc.. but anything external gets by feel. i dont know why but when i see guys torquing down stupid bolts it bothers me :o

But thats just it, the book type guys torque down everything and waste time mostly. The guys who have a clue only torque critical parts, cause they view torquing everything a waste of time lol.

Just look at guys operating in an auto shop, day in day out they use an impact gun or ratchet with no issues, that is until they touch the engine or trans usually. And usually nothing happens. I dont understand why people torque wheels on, trust me hand tight if your strong enough is plenty.

KXRida
06-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Harbor freight baby. Most of the stuff on my truck is being torqued to 75-250ft lbs so as long as your in a rough ball park you will be fine at those specs. I do have a snap on wrench for inch pounds. The lower the torque spec, the more accurate the wrench, the better. If all else fails, tighten it til it spins free and back it off 1/4 turn.