PDA

View Full Version : Get a KTM or not

mxblaster14
06-20-2012, 06:50 AM
I thinking about 450s now as i race a blaster now and im old enough next year to move up and i cant seem to find a quad that beats the ktm spec wise out the box. theres jst a few things im woundering about, how reliable are they, how strong is the frame and how hard and expensive is it to get parts for them?

eagertorace
06-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by mxblaster14
I thinking about 450s now as i race a blaster now and im old enough next year to move up and i cant seem to find a quad that beats the ktm spec wise out the box. theres jst a few things im woundering about, how reliable are they, how strong is the frame and how hard and expensive is it to get parts for them?

I'd say go for it.....just keep up the maintanence schedule
and you'll be fine..OEM parts are high but aftermarket is the same as other brands....and the frames are chromoly too.

slipperyjake
06-23-2012, 04:42 AM
GET A KTM! you wont look back absolutly great bikes and really are race ready out of the box.

mxblaster14
06-23-2012, 05:52 PM
there jst 2 questions i have. What can be done to open up the air box when the filter is on the lid can you get a different air box or is that the way it comes and thats the way it stays? and how often dose the top and bottem end need rebuilding

eagertorace
06-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by mxblaster14
there jst 2 questions i have. What can be done to open up the air box when the filter is on the lid can you get a different air box or is that the way it comes and thats the way it stays? and how often dose the top and bottem end need rebuilding

take the intake manifold out of the airbox...the factory setup is good, just keep the filter maintained by sealing the edge with grease, this will keep any dust from entering the intake.

fuel customs make an aftermarket setup for these bikes as well.

also some are drilling more holes around the bottom/sides of the airbox to get more air.

5lblmbn2009
06-29-2012, 11:42 PM
top end every 40 hours stock. and bottom end i have yet to do. my xc lasted 100 race and hard practice hours, but the transmissions are different. sx will be different.

shadd_27
07-03-2012, 06:47 AM
thats the only way my built race ktm will run with the covers off the bottom of rear fender and holes drilled there also it gets starved for air without the holes for some reason
they also have a aftermarket kit that takes a ltr aftermarket intake to make it basically like a honda with open lid instead of the snorkel they come with stock