PDA

View Full Version : Hood dilemma..

TacicalRedneck
06-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Ok,

Now i wasn't the one to put the hood scoop on my quad....

Sadly i learned.... they had cut the plastic to make the thing fit... Not sure how it's on there, fits snug at the bottom as you work your way up it looks lke a worst and worst fit.... Now i'm wanting to put a 450r hood on it, along with a headlight, the mounting stuff, and the plastic piece under the headlight....

What i'm worried about is the fit of the new hood...

Any ideas? Is it common to shave some of that plastic off?

I will have a good look at it when i get it back and see then... But until then... :scary:

beastlywarrior
06-19-2012, 12:51 PM
leave it how it is 450r hoods dont look good on the 400

AtvKid4Eva
06-19-2012, 12:52 PM
the closet youll get to a 450r hood is the newer style 400ex plastic which resembles the 04-05 450r. Many claim they get the 450r hoods to fit on a 400ex, but in my opinion it looks horrible.

chronicsmoke
06-19-2012, 01:52 PM
I cut a 450r hood into my ex, It looked good but I wasn't satisfied with cuts.. I went to a FB front one piece and used the 450r hood on my 450.

To each their own, I like the look of it other than the non-oem quality job I did mounting it. IMO anything is better than the frog eyes, but some people like the frog eyes.. to each their own lol

JOHNDOE83
06-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Just remember if you start trying to cut and fit for a new hood some basic principles of fabricating.

1: Dont cut to much the first time, leave yourself alot of room for error. It's easier to cut things off a little at a time then it is to make up for cutting to much.

2: Double and triple check all measurement's and line's before cutting.

3: Use proper tool's

The best way, easiest to use and extremely controlable to cut fender plastic is to use a 4in grinder with a metal cut off wheel.

I would make a cardboard templet of the 450r hood and use it to make line's on your plastic's before you cut.

Worst case scenario it's already cut a lil to much, hopefully you can clean up their cut's and make it look halfway decent and pull the plastic a lil closer together to make up for it.

People do this stuff alot actually, search 450r hood at the bottom of the forum page for detailed info.

atvrider13
06-19-2012, 07:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chronicsmoke
I cut a 450r hood into my ex, It looked good but I wasn't satisfied with cuts.. I went to a FB front one piece and used the 450r hood on my 450.

To each their own, I like the look of it other than the non-oem quality job I did mounting it. IMO anything is better than the frog eyes, but some people like the frog eyes.. to each their own lol [/QUOTEAgreed^^^ Looks nice!!]

TacicalRedneck
06-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke

To each their own, I like the look of it other than the non-oem quality job I did mounting it. IMO anything is better than the frog eyes, but some people like the frog eyes.. to each their own lol

Well... as said above... i don't know how much they've already cut it to fit the 250r hood on now... the hood on it now is scratched... looking dull...

It IS pretty new maier plastic..... I've never had a quad with the whole hood thing :ermm: This should be interesting....

TacicalRedneck
06-19-2012, 07:52 PM
This is what i'd like it to look like when i'm finished...

Want to weld the monts for the headlight, and get a plastic piece to mount under it...

TacicalRedneck
06-19-2012, 07:56 PM
here a little better comparison

sort of...

chronicsmoke
06-20-2012, 06:01 AM
The stock hoods are different and don't mount like an aftermarket hood.. they kind of slide and lock into plance where as the aftermarket hoods are just fastened down..

You're best bet would be to buy 05-07 front fenders and then it will fit alright..

TacicalRedneck
06-20-2012, 09:22 AM
what about the aftermarket hoods that look like stock?

http://4wheelonline.com/atv/images/products/MAIER-509740.jpg

http://4wheelonline.com/atv/images/products/MAIER-509740.jpg

chronicsmoke
06-20-2012, 09:33 AM
never had one, but see how at the fron the two peices come down to make a spot for the light? That is the tab that slides into place, the after market hoods have larger pieces that comeoff the hood and go underneath the the plastics to give it something to mount too..