PDA

View Full Version : new yfz450 or yfz450R????

cjmadison9
06-18-2012, 05:07 PM
looking to buy a new yfz just cant deside if i want the yfz or the yfz-R, is there a huge difference between the two for the price? just want to see what you guys that have rode them have to say about them, like what the power difference is and the suspention, ext....thanks guys!!!!

RNL
06-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by cjmadison9
looking to buy a new yfz just cant deside if i want the yfz or the yfz-R, is there a huge difference between the two for the price? just want to see what you guys that have rode them have to say about them, like what the power difference is and the suspention, ext....thanks guys!!!!

Depends what ridng your going to do. YFZ carb is setup for trails/xc type riding. The R is a track quad with extra width, suspension, and taller gearing.

89trx250r
06-19-2012, 10:26 AM
The standard yfz they brought back was the same ones from 06-07-08 with cheaper shocks and some other parts removed to save money...The yfz-R/X is the 09-10 race/woods quads they came out with which have long travel suspension stock and either mx width or xc width...The yfz-R/X is also fuel injected and a much better machine for the money imo...They brought the yfz back for more recreational riders not really anyone who knows what they are doing.

cjmadison9
06-19-2012, 02:31 PM
yeah i wasnt sure i lookied at the specs and i seen the differences but wasnt sure if the differences were that big or not, i race a kfx400 right now and im looking to move up in class, i not real familiar with the 450's being that i never had to ride one, but the time has come so im looking at all of them and the yamahas just really stand out for some reason....the yfz-r is deff what i need cause ill i do is ride mx so guess that was a simple answer lol thanks guys....

Kovatch
06-20-2012, 09:51 AM
From my experience, the YFZR out of the box or off the show room floor is great for MX. You don't need a-arms or an axle to make it wider, which most others you do.

I added the "Big 3" (intake, exhaust, fuel controller) and the power is just fine for racing. I put on MX tires/rims, nerfs, kill switch, big 3 and was happy with it. At the Nationals I took 3rd overall at Red Bud in "C" class. Not bad for minimal mods.

You can buy LT YFZ shocks and bolt them right up on the R. Lengths are the same and given similar valving for weight, they should work just fine.

Also, you can find a lot of nice used YFZRs that have a lot of the parts on them and will still be $3-4000 cheaper than you buying a new quad and spending all the money. If you are worried about the engine being worn, spend $1000 and have it rebuilt. Then, you have a fresh bike with all the mods already on it. Up front costs are more, but in the end you save probably 50% on parts. Just a thought.

zyoung04
07-24-2012, 02:00 AM
The dealer tried to sell me a carbed model when I went and bought my new yfzr earlier this year and the price difference was close to about $800 like stated above u will have that much in a good pair of front shocks that's not counting all the other stuff u got to buy

As far as I can tell the new standard yfz is overpowered with no suspension and I would recommend buying a yfzr if u were goin to be doin much mx

RNL
07-25-2012, 10:42 AM
I bought the standard YFZ a few months back, mainly because I dont do mx and didnt want the extra width of the R. My findings is that the standard pulls harder on the bottom compared to the R, but doesn't have as much top end power. A slip on and jet will give you close to 12 h.p. in the over rev/topend of the powerband, and give you a much smoother power delivery with improved bottom end and torque as well. The shocks on the standard YFZ450 are just fine for trail riding and everyday playing, but for big jumps and mx racing they are not ideal. The R is alot smoother and has better frame geometry, and less vibratiion through the bars. Head to head with equal riders, the standard will beat the R everytime in a drag. It has that old YFZ "hit" in the midrange, while the R has a smooth linear power delivery that is deceivingly fast. Just depends what you want to do. Both are great for what they were designed for.