PDA

View Full Version : Blaster+GSXR750 Help

nookiemrsmith
06-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Hello, this is my first post on here and I'm already looking for help. I found a rolliing chassis on craigslist for a yamaha blaster and I can buy a gsxr engine on ebay for pretty cheap. This will be my first custom quad and I was wondering what kind of issues I might run into during the build process. One major question I have is will the engine fit in that frame with or without modifications besides how its mounted, or am I going to have to chop the frame in half to get it in there and if so how would that work. I figure I'm going to need to extend the swingarm to deal with the power and I'm ready to do that. Any help or advice would be great. Thank you.

crlt250r
06-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Blaster frame geometry is a bit funky... It's got a high center of gravity, and they tend to be a bit tipsy. Fitment is questionable, you may be better off looking for a bigger frame, or find a good 250 2 stroke. I personally wouldn't be comfortable with over 55 HP in that frame.... My Baja 300 is the same exact frame.

nookiemrsmith
06-17-2012, 10:20 PM
The last quad I had was a renegade 800 so I love big power. The only problem I have is that I live way up north and I find it difficult to find things like a full quad only missing the engine. If you had to suggest one what kind of frame would you choose to handle the power?

nookiemrsmith
06-18-2012, 03:21 AM
After searching some more on craigslist I found a good looking yfz450 without an engine in it. What do you think about this as a platform instead of the blaster?

crlt250r
06-18-2012, 04:39 AM
Go YFZ for sure!!!

The yfz has much better geometry, its stronger, and has a bit more room in it. The lower COG will also feel better. Either way you go, you will most definitely have some serious frame modification. The Gixxer motor is taller, and you'll have to do tank, plastic, and most likely extend the whole frame to get it together.

Balaz_73*00
06-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Not worth the hassle and will prob be a hack job unless you are a highly skilled fabricator with an engineering background. My $0.02

chronicsmoke
06-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Do a different engine, something that will be managable to drive.

any 2stroke 250cc dirtbike would be my ideal choice for that frame.. preferrably a 330 KTM :(

nookiemrsmith
06-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Building it to best a couple modded banshees and a modded raptor 700 so its gotta be a big engine.

crlt250r
06-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Stuff a Dr. Q 500 in it... HRD 540 even... Less work and headache. But if you wanna beat the Rappy, you can borrow my wifes Grizzly.. LOL

tayyo789
06-21-2012, 08:37 PM
It doesn't need to be that big of a motor to beat banshees and raptors. You just need a solid setup and ride better than they do. If you're going to build a hybrid, take the time to do everything right, down to the smaller details. There's a lot more to riding fast then having a lot of power. You need usable power (why raptors are popular) and a good setup to get that power to the ground as efficiently as you can, whenever you want it.
For example, when I ride the dunes on my XR650 hybrid, which only makes mid 50's horsepower, and mid to high 40's of torque, I can beat my friend with a cbr hybrid in a drag race until I top out and no longer have the gearing to hold him off. I owe it all to my setup not my motor.
Basically what I'm saying is that street bike hybrids have a very limited use, and you have a lot more options if you just want to beat your friends in a drag race