PDA

View Full Version : dirt bike for 13 year old?

jfwyatt1
06-16-2012, 06:39 PM
I am looking for a dirt bike for my son so we can ride at some of the local state ohv areas without getting hassled be the rangers. he has a `05 400ex but because of his age he cant ride it on state land until hes 16. We have looked at a few of the supermini bikes but he can sit on them flat footed and im wondering if i shouldnt just go with a 125. I prefer a 2 stroke bike and he seems to like them better than the 4 stroke bikes he has ridden. he had a kx 65 a few years back so i dont think he will have a problem. what do youguys think. im trying to find somebody local that will let him try a 125. hes '5"5 right now and has grown "4 in the last year. so i dont want to get something ill have to upgrade from in the next year.

Drfat400ex
06-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by jfwyatt1
I am looking for a dirt bike for my son so we can ride at some of the local state ohv areas without getting hassled be the rangers. he has a `05 400ex but because of his age he cant ride it on state land until hes 16. We have looked at a few of the supermini bikes but he can sit on them flat footed and im wondering if i shouldnt just go with a 125. I prefer a 2 stroke bike and he seems to like them better than the 4 stroke bikes he has ridden. he had a kx 65 a few years back so i dont think he will have a problem. what do youguys think. im trying to find somebody local that will let him try a 125. hes '5"5 right now and has grown "4 in the last year. so i dont want to get something ill have to upgrade from in the next year.
That's pretty close, I'd say he'd have to try one out, my cousin had a cr125 and he's around '5"7 and he couldn't reach the ground, once he was going he was pretty good but if the trails are really smooth you shouldn't have to touch the ground anyways. Shouldn't outgrow an 85 too quickly I don' think, I have a friend with one and he's probably '5"10 and he says it fits him great.

finsteratv
06-16-2012, 07:57 PM
kx100 or any bigwheel supermini would be good. Maybe it's just me but its nice to have a bike fit/be a tad small so you can throw it around more expecially if the trails take a nasty turn. plus theres a big weight difference between the supermini's and 125's.

jfwyatt1
06-16-2012, 08:07 PM
I just got a call from a guy (right after i started thread) who has a `07 crf 150r with original back tire for $1300 i am going to look at it tommorrow i may get this for him to learn on cause at that price i should be able to get my money back in a year or so no problem.

Drfat400ex
06-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by jfwyatt1
I just got a call from a guy (right after i started thread) who has a `07 crf 150r with original back tire for $1300 i am going to look at it tommorrow i may get this for him to learn on cause at that price i should be able to get my money back in a year or so no problem. Oh man get that!! Got a buddy with a crf150rb and it's amazing! He should fit on it pretty good the guy that owns it is 13 and he's probably around the same size and he fits perfect.

finsteratv
06-16-2012, 09:52 PM
150r's are SWEET

Drfat400ex
06-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
150r's are SWEET Are they ever man, 5th gear giver some gas and it pops right up it's crazy!! And for a 4 stroke they're pretty easy to whip around and stuff.

finsteratv
06-17-2012, 11:32 AM
good suspension and smooth power on a little bike! If they didnt cost more it'd be cool to just have one to play on haha..My buddy had one and it'd pop up with his dad on it, no prob.

01boneless
06-17-2012, 12:32 PM
my cousin just got a kx 85 a couple months ago and he already wants more power and is looking for a 250f lol

slightlybent47
06-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Buying a bike that’s too big, is worse then one that’s to small. Yes you can learn to ride a bike that’s to big (to tall) but you’ll find that stopping and not being able to touch the ground with your feet is not what you want.
Riding slow on trails is hard if you have to stop because you can’t put your foot down to hold yourself up.
I would opt for a smaller bike that they can touch the ground with at least one foot but it’s better if both will reach the ground.

jfwyatt1
06-17-2012, 01:54 PM
just went and looked at the crf150r and its in almost showroom condition rear tire will need replacement soon but other than that its pefect the paint isnt even worn above the footpegs. from 10 feet you cant even see any scratches so i think we`ll go with it and at $1300 i should be able to come out even in a year or so.

quad2xtreme
06-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Good idea on the CRF150R since you aren't taking much risk at all in losing any money even if he only rides it for 6 months.

My second choice after that great deal on the Honda would be the KTM 200 EXC.

/Jon

beastlywarrior
06-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Crf150 is awesome my friends had one and it was super light and managable with good power

quad2xtreme
06-18-2012, 04:16 PM
My wifes had her 2012 Honda CRF150RB (big wheel) for about 3 months and rode it for less than 10 hours. She is 5'5" and 130 lbs. She seems too tall for it when standing even since I added 3/4" height to the seat with new foam and cover. It is an ok bike for her but it seems she'd be more comfortable on a bike with full size tires. I am going to buy her the KTM 200 EXC and hope it is the solution. I talked to several people heavily nvolved in the Hare Scramble/XC scene. All had nothing but praise for the KTM 200 EXC...and especially that it has electric start in addition to the kickstart. Guess we will see. Even though it is a 2-stroke, the power is supposed to be very smooth and manageable. I like the fact it has full size wheels.

I plan to keep her CRF150R while we determine if this KTM is the answer. This is my last ditch to get her on a bike. She's owned a 2000 YZ85, a 2000 TTL225, and a 2000 TTL150L. She's the only person I know that got 3 new bikes in a year and sold them all. We've been on quads for 11 years now and now playing around with both.

finsteratv
06-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
My wifes had her 2012 Honda CRF150RB (big wheel) for about 3 months and rode it for less than 10 hours. She is 5'5" and 130 lbs. She seems too tall for it when standing even since I added 3/4" height to the seat with new foam and cover. It is an ok bike for her but it seems she'd be more comfortable on a bike with full size tires. I am going to buy her the KTM 200 EXC and hope it is the solution. I talked to several people heavily nvolved in the Hare Scramble/XC scene. All had nothing but praise for the KTM 200 EXC...and especially that it has electric start in addition to the kickstart. Guess we will see. Even though it is a 2-stroke, the power is supposed to be very smooth and manageable. I like the fact it has full size wheels.

I plan to keep her CRF150R while we determine if this KTM is the answer. This is my last ditch to get her on a bike. She's owned a 2000 YZ85, a 2000 TTL225, and a 2000 TTL150L. She's the only person I know that got 3 new bikes in a year and sold them all. We've been on quads for 11 years now and now playing around with both. That 200 might outrun your 250!

KXRida
06-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
kx100 or any bigwheel supermini would be good. Maybe it's just me but its nice to have a bike fit/be a tad small so you can throw it around more expecially if the trails take a nasty turn. plus theres a big weight difference between the supermini's and 125's.

skip the supermini's/100. He'll be out of them in probably less than a year. If he already has previous experience on a bike he should be fine with a 125/250f imo. While the crf150r's are awesome bikes, I think it would still be safe to say he'd out grow it, but for that price I'm sure you could buy it and flop it in a year and still come out atleast even.