PDA

View Full Version : Belt issues

fast shee
06-16-2012, 11:49 AM
How do I keep a belt in this thing? It is a 90 liquid and We still have the plastic cover on the cvt cover. We run xc but not much water. Thinking of removing the plastic cover and cutting vents in the cover and installing a outerwear cover. Any thoughts? The engine is stock for now.

fomospede
06-17-2012, 05:49 PM
that is a good start but you will be screwed on a rainy day
have a spare that is not opened up
incorrect gearing leads to heat
buy a pyrometer and check
also you should take the variator out and make sure the sheaves are not dished this will cause problems

fast shee
06-18-2012, 12:01 PM
The sheaves are like new. I tried a 19t ft sprocket and had 18x8x8 tires out back. Switched them out for the 18x6.5x8 holeshots. It pulled them better but needed more top speed so put on the 20t and ran that. Much better results until the belt broke. Thinking maybe drilling some holes in the cvt cover and installing some rubber grommets if it is wet.

fomospede
06-19-2012, 01:48 AM
we race xc also
we run 18'' dwt's
gearing
im gonna pm you
to many competitors watching my posts!!

fast shee
06-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Update..... I removed the belt cover only to find the belt still intact. Verry little belt dust also. I heard the engine very close to where the bike stopped moving and it sounded like it was revving with the clutch being pulled in on a manual trans. The smell of burnt belt was very strong and was unmistakable. There is a wear spot on the belt where it was resting on the ft clutch. It was not terrible but had a burnt spot. I am new to these drr bikes but far from new on cvt quads. Something had to stop the drivetrain from moving but when i got to him i was able to push it with him on it to the pits with ease. There is oil in the trans and the rear turns fine. All the weights in the ft clutch were seated properly when i removed the clutches. The rear clutch bell showed no signs of heat and no rubber on the sheaves ft or rear. I am scratching my head wondering W*# went wrong. Any advice on this one?

kfx450
06-26-2012, 08:26 PM
Sounds like the slipper sprocket is loose

fomospede
06-27-2012, 01:58 AM
rear pullet hanging open??

fast shee
06-27-2012, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by kfx450
Sounds like the slipper sprocket is loose
Did not even think of that one. Will check it out.

fast shee
06-27-2012, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by fomospede
rear pullet hanging open??
Totally disassembled the rear and the sheaves move freely. I can hold it upside down and move it slightly to get it to move then it will slide down on its own. I did find some dirt in the grooves for the variator and cleaned them out. Will have to check out that slipper sprrocket as mentioned by kx450. That would make sense.

fomospede
06-27-2012, 09:31 AM
we dont run a slipper on ours
xc events last alot longer than a moto

fast shee
06-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Starting to realize that now. Once I get home I will take it off and inspect it. Very good chance that is it and to top it off I just received the latest shipment of parts today. Could have ordered a regular one and have it on hand. There is always something with these things. It is cutting into my beer fund!

fomospede
06-27-2012, 01:41 PM
ha now thats funny :D

fast shee
06-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Sure enough, I took it apart and the slipper sprocket is melted. Are these usually long lasting or almost disposable after each race? Being that we race xc I think I will be going the non slipper sprocket route. Thanks so much to everyone helping. This is what makes this forum so great!

kfx450
06-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Slipper clutch litle expensive but worth it. After you break a tranny with the solid sprocket you will wish u had one