PDA

View Full Version : Lrd

Higgy87TRX425
06-16-2012, 02:30 AM
Hey guys, Higgy here, I'm trying to find a 330 to 370cc LRD/LED Topend to complete my LRD build. I'd like to just go to Arlan himself, but he's pretty expensive and I know there's quite a wait!
So let me know what you guys have out there??? I was kinda hoping for a 350cc topend! I have cash, plus "some hard to get items" that I may trade for the right topend set-up!! Or to sweeten the deal!! Let me know what you have????
Thanks Higgy!

pepshocks
06-16-2012, 12:59 PM
i just talked to arlen last week and he had a 330 for 1300.00 i think

Higgy87TRX425
06-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Hey thanks man, I'm gonna give him a call on Monday!
I've spoken with him several times and even went in there, and each time he's gotten more expensive. Now I only need a complete topend, reeds, intake boot, carb, and exhaust flange and I'm good to go!
Thanks Higgy!

89trx250r
06-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Haha us jewish people can be sticklers...I have never heard one person say his prices were reasonable...Always overpriced...And higgy for you to say hes expensive is saying something because your LOBO is priceless imo...

Higgy87TRX425
06-16-2012, 10:23 PM
89trx250r, ha ha! I have to agree with you. here's the deal. First I was gonna have him do a whole motor for me top and bottom. He said if would be about $2000. Well about 1 year later I come in with a whole new project the LRD bike I'm currently working on and tell him that I just wanna put a topend on the bike and the bottomend is freshly rebuilt, he then replies $2000. So I'm like wait a second 1st it was a whole motor for rebuilt for $2000 and now I'm only getting the topend done for $2000??? you see my issue, lol! I guess I'll try and explain things to him again maybe butter him up some way?? I'll let you know what happens! Thanks for the compliments buddy.
Thanks Higgy!

Motofool250r
06-17-2012, 01:35 AM
Higgy, this is directly in line with some other peoples experiences over the years.

basically the best cylinders out there are CPI Spynhx for a smaller bore motor.

have him build you a pipe, put a ported sphnx on it with a 4mm crank and cr ignition and call it a day dont get sucked into a buncha other stuff.

pepshocks
06-17-2012, 09:27 AM
I dont mind paying his prices cuz he's the best in the business

Motofool250r
06-17-2012, 09:37 AM
best? im gonna leave this alone because its gonna start a war.

But Best is not only one thing.

Its fastest, most reliable, customer service. and price i cant says hes the best at all of those.

hes been around a long time he builds good motors when he takes his time.

Im very interested in one of his pipes maybe this winter we dyno one.

I dont want to throw dirt as we dont have alot of good people left for these machines that really know them.

I enjoy the choices and the competition.

Meat
06-17-2012, 10:05 AM
"he then replies $2000. So I'm like wait a second 1st it was a whole motor for rebuilt for $2000 and now I'm only getting the topend done for $2000??? you see my issue, lol!"

Hey Higgy I have an LRD Pro-X jugg and its freakin awesome. Reliable too.

And the $2000 dollar quote. I'll bet I know whats going on. I think you mighta just got the old standard, generic "about $2000" price quote.

Motofool250r
06-17-2012, 10:53 AM
just so people know, CP Industries makes the Pro-X cylinders, they also make the Spyhnx newest casting with updated porting. they also make the Puma cylinders and the sabers.

you can get them with steel sleeves or Nikasil coated aluminum castings.

the proof is in the porting though.

bradenc19
06-17-2012, 11:20 AM
MY BOTTOM END HAS A 4MM CRANK. WHAT SIZE SPYNHX TOP END WOULD YOU RUN FOR GNCC?

I HAVE A 39MM AIR STRIKER CARB AND A BILLS PIPE AND MID RANGE CT.

WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD SET UP FROM THE CARB TO THE TOP END FOR GNCC?

THANK YOU!!

Motofool250r
06-17-2012, 11:42 AM
+4mm crank and 330cc top end is a square strong motor. but the porting is where the magic is.

cr250 ignition, proper porting, the right dome for elevation and fuel choice. Proper tune on carb, and lastly the pipe to match it all.

i would ditch the bills pipe and ct pipe, for a better option if it was me, it depends on how much low end your looking for.

trx5 or curtis sparks midrange pipe for best all around pipe.

or have a custom pipe built.

bradenc19
06-17-2012, 02:44 PM
WOULD YOU GO PV

Motofool250r
06-17-2012, 02:49 PM
with a +4 330 personally no

DnB_racing
06-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Motofool250r
with a +4 330 personally no why?

If I understood correctly from talking with Arlan, the new sphinx PV exhaust port is cut differently from the non PV, meaning more top end with the pv full open, but still having a great bottom end from the pv closing, but if you have experience with both please explain, as im still trying to learn and figure out which way im going to go... of course this is with the proper exhaust and carb/intake combination

i do know one drawback is keeping PV clean and working properly, but as far as performance im told you get a better more usable power curve with the pv..

but please report any performance issues and why you say not to us a pv,

im not sure about the setup of any of the other pv, but this is the way Im understanding the new pv cylinders, from the way it sounds its the way to go...

am I wrong??

Motofool250r
06-17-2012, 03:34 PM
on the smaller motors i could see the point you could nearly drag port it and the powervalve smoothed it out and gave you the best of both.

Arlan Likes powervalves this is well known, for many years he built motors for mx guys xc guys gncc etc.

if you build a really strong +4 with 330 which is infact a 344cc with more then a mild port job it wont be able to be tame in the woods it will be too much power.

I suppose if you wanted to tame down a really strong motor the powervalve could help for a guy woods riding or MX riding.

personally i ride in the dunes and it has no performance advantage in the strung out motors we run.

the bigger the motor the less effect the power valve has on it essentially

if you want a smooth power band go for a power valve. me ill take less maintenance side.

DnB_racing
06-17-2012, 04:14 PM
ya i see no advantage to have a pv for strictly dune or hill climber ethier, just a aggressive port,

but for MX and more technical riding with the need for a low end but still needs a great hole shot, I would think the PV is superior to the non PV, even with the big bore and stroke,

if the exhaust port is cut higher with the non PV you would loose the great low end acceleration needed for cornering, but put the PV in with a higher port timing you would still have a low end along with a close to drag port top end, at least that's what im hoping to have, it still might be too much hit for the track,Ill have to see I guess

but for dunes, I wouldn't even be thinking about a PV or a expensive complex porting that has to have torque along with high Hp, i would be just interested in the top end numbers,

but unfortunately I have no sand for about a thousand miles lol

Motofool you cant tell me your high strung drag ported motors are less maintenance the a occasional PV cleaning:D

Motofool250r
06-17-2012, 04:27 PM
my bikes aren't drag ported honestly but compared to what 90% of the 250r's out there maybe you could say drag ported but its honestly just very aggressive porting.

i put 300gallons of fuel through my last oem stroked motor without taking it apart.

if your woods riding or technical riding at the pro level go power valve.

if you ask many the big bore has enough bottom end you dont need it, especially with a stroked 330 a well setup midrange port and good pipe and its a hell of a motor.

anything above 344 and i dont see the point of the power valve for this application. maybe there is something that weve not seen yet that produces good results but the r&d time to get it right is more then i want to spend.

DnB_racing
06-17-2012, 05:08 PM

I was thinking just the opposite, if you ride marginal at best like me!! i would think the better rider you are the less you actually need the pv

PV would help keep the power more controllable in the tight but still have a good top when things open up

sj281
06-17-2012, 11:41 PM
my bikes aren't drag ported honestly but compared to what 90% of the 250r's out there maybe you could say drag ported but its honestly just very aggressive porting.

i put 300gallons of fuel through my last oem stroked motor without taking it apart.

if you ask many the big bore has enough bottom end you dont need it, especially with a stroked 330 a well setup midrange port and good pipe and its a hell of a motor.

anything above 344 and i dont see the point of the power valve for this application. maybe there is something that weve not seen yet that produces good results but the r&d time to get it right is more then i want to spend.

id have to say hes right about the big motors not really needing the power valve i have two prox 350 top ends that arlien himself ported to the best of his ability one with an one without the valve its really all in the porting if its ported for mx wich is low to mid the valve helps with top end you can port it more wildly torward the top end an not lose any bottom but if both motors are ported for mid to top you gain nothing with the valve an really they are bad *** with his new pipe so really only the motors ported for low end gain from the power valve i think

Higgy87TRX425
06-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Motofool250r: Damm where was I yesterday. Sounds like I should have been checking my thread. So you're saying a ported spynhx 4mil stroker with a CR ignition and pipe! I already have an LRD Pipe thats brand new and its 1.5" ID at the stinger connection!! Its also got a pretty fat expansion chamber. It won't do the job of a custom made pipe, however I bet it would run pretty good maybe even better on the Puma with that 1.5 ID at the connection. What size spynhx were you reccommending??
So now getting back to what I was looking for, Does anyone have an LRD/LED 350 motor Forsale? That was the origional idea behind this thread? Let me know?? Or anyu other LRD parts that I may not have I'd be interested in!!!
Let me know?
Thanks Higgy!

Higgy87TRX425
06-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Hey guys,
Well I just got off of the phone with Aral and he's got a 350cc motor for me from the air cleaner to the silencer for $3000! If just jumped up another $1000. He explained it all and went through the prices with me step by step as to why its so expensive, but I'm gonna do it. He's letting me do a payment plan so I'll have a 350 LED motor within the next month!
Thanks Higgy!

DnB_racing
06-18-2012, 05:16 PM
is this for a motor, or your motor with you building, or him

im thinking its case boring, a stainless intake with filter, 350 piston and cylinder ported,with o'rings and studs and nuts and bolts, nikasiled, crank balanced trued and weld,and chromed exhaust,

am I about right, or did I miss something

Higgy87TRX425
06-18-2012, 06:18 PM
So here's what the build consists of. I believe that this is just parts. I wanna see what kinda deal I could work out with him to put the motor together, because $3000 is alot of no matter how you add it up!!!! However its exactly what I'm looking for!!! It will bolt right up to my current bottomend!

-custom built pipe and silencer chrome 550
-Carb 41.5 Kehin 250
-V-force reeds 150
-Throttle cable 20
-Carb intake boot 90
-LED custom Air intake with K/N filter 225
-Spyhnx 350cc cylinder & head Ported &
polished, with custom piston, studds,
nuts, bolts, gaskets, O-rings and the
exhaust Flange 1725

GRAND TOTAL 3010
Thanks Higgy!

DnB_racing
06-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Higgy87TRX425
So here's what the build consists of. I believe that this is just parts. I wanna see what kinda deal I could work out with him to put the motor together, because $3000 is alot of no matter how you add it up!!!! However its exactly what I'm looking for!!! It will bolt right up to my current bottomend!

-custom built pipe and silencer chrome 550
-Carb 41.5 Kehin 250
-V-force reeds 150
-Throttle cable 20
-Carb intake boot 90
-LED custom Air intake with K/N filter 225
-Spyhnx 350cc cylinder & head Ported &
polished, with custom piston, studds,
nuts, bolts, gaskets, O-rings and the
exhaust Flange 1725

GRAND TOTAL 3010
Thanks Higgy! yep that's about the same quote I got except Im having my crank balanced and case bored, totaling another 250, I was looking at around 3300 for non pv and 3650 for the Pv...

are the cylinders in stock now? last time I talked to him he said a few weeks, but that was a few weeks, so maybe they are in now

what type of porting are you getting? and whats he saying for HP

like you said its not cheap but its just what im looking for also

latheboy
06-18-2012, 08:30 PM
A few years ago I paid 3200 for my LED 350PV. Mine was not a sphynx. It was just an ESR cylinder with the ESR emblem milled off.
The 3200 included, pipe, silencer, 38mm carb, carb boot, trued and welded crank, piston, porting, VF3 reeds.

My pipe was not chromed.

It pulls hard, but I doubt its worth $3200. My opinion....

Higgy87TRX425
06-18-2012, 09:18 PM
I believe that he's awaiting more cylinders right now, and some Pipes that were custom made are comming back from the chromers anytime soon! He says the the HP is an easy 60 hp, but he said we should have no problem getting 65 hp out of a 350cc. So I'm stoked on everything, but the price! I'm gonna get dune style porting. Arlan says that they already have a good bottom end so we'll cut the dome for a good midrange and should get peek HP at about 7800 RPMS.
Thanks Higgy

Higgy87TRX425
06-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Hey Higgy here,
So I dropped off some cash at LED today and bought his last 350cc Spyhnx motor that he had in stock! The pipes should be comming out of chroming in about a week or 2 and I wanna have this bike together within the next month!!!
I took the cylinder with me to take out to Cascade to have them polish it for me! Last time they did my Puma cylinder for $155.00, and believe me it looked sick!! So I keep you posted on the progress and let you know how things turn out??
Thanks Higgy!

Motofool250r
06-20-2012, 12:09 AM
is the cylinder already ported higgy?

which crank are you gonna run?

Higgy87TRX425
06-20-2012, 12:54 AM
Motofool250r:
Yes the cylinder is already ported. and re Nikasiled. I've seen the dyno sheets for what HP this type of port work is producing. I've already got the cylinder. I'm taking it to Cascade to get polished tomarrow. I think that I'm just gonna run a stock crank, but I maybe talked into a 4mil stroker. I also wanna Balance the crank to make sure it holds together. Arlan says that this 350cc motor with a stock 72mm crank will push between 60 and 65 hp. He showed me a dyno of the last 350cc with 65hp exactly like mine! So I'm gonna be stoked. I'm gonna spend the extra money and have Arlan balance the crank and put the motor together. Then we're gonna Dyno tune it to get max HP out of it! I can't wait it should be done within the next 3 to 4 weeks hopefully sooner! I'll let you know. Just the next addition to the 250r stable. I told Pete what I was doing because I wanted to be up front with the guy! I told him that I was building and all LRD/LED bike he wasn't happy, but he kind of understood! Like I said he wasn't happy, but he wasn't pissd I think that he just wanted the business!
Anyway I'll let you know how it goes. Sorry I forgot to call you back I'll call you tomarrow bro forsure!
Thanks Higgy!

Motofool250r
06-20-2012, 01:47 AM
65 horse with what carb a lectron or PWK.

Hope everything works out for ya dude.

should be a runner im really interested to see the difference between a 344 setup and a 350 spyhnx bring dat thing to the dunes first week of september!

im trying to get the parts together to put 3 full bikes together and have a spare motor for the trip. so nothing can ruin it.

just on the lookout for a good quality oem frame bolt in ready cause i dont have time to get the no-link modified before ride time.

Higgy87TRX425
06-20-2012, 03:33 AM
Hey buddy,
Higgy here, here's the first photos of the Sphynx Clyinder

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/543215196/2012%20New%20LED%20Sphynx%20Cylinder/2012NewSphynxCylinder068.jpg

I'll post a link to the rest here soon.I'll be running a PWK Kehin 41.5 Carb, and yeah right at 65 hp with a decent amount of torque on the low to midrange as well. So we'll see how she runs I still need to get an ignition Arlan likes the PVL style ignitions so I might be running one of those on it?
Yeah within a couple 3 to 4 weeks I should have 3 to 4 bikes put together. My 2000 Lobo mx 431 Puma, my girl 2003 4mil Banshee, a 2006 SE YZF 450r with just some add ons like a Curtis Sparks exhaust and a LRD cold air intake with a K&N and a rejetted carb. Then last but not least the LRD/LED project with a badass 350 pushing 65hp. Now I just need an enclosed trailer, to haul it all with! the girl friend didn't want me buying a $4000 trailr, but had no problem with me dumping alsomost that into finishing this build, lol??? Go figure Ha ha. SO the enclosed trailers next.
I want to start out with a car trailer dual axel 8.5 wide at least 7ft tall and around 20ft long, with a fold down ramp I've beeen seeing them go for less then $4000 brand new! I'm not sure how good the quality is though?? Well Until tomarrow goodnight guys!
Thanks Higgy!

Motofool250r
06-20-2012, 04:58 AM
4 quads is hard to fit, we just rent a u haul trailer the biggest enclosed available. 8x12 i think put one quad in truck one in trailer with all gear and spare parts.

as the cheaper 3-4000$ trailers are crap the ones new at that price.

the used ones like a contential or wellcargo etc are nice but i dont have anywhere to put one at our house.

many people have bad things to say about the pvl, maybe they set them up wrong but most run the cr250 or the msd if they want programable.

65 horse on a pwk 41.5 good numbers i would have thought those were with a 44mm+ lectron.

SilverLake250R
06-20-2012, 06:11 AM
Those trailers are not that bad, I have 4000+ miles on mine already this year and it has been great. They do lack some quality in how they are finished, but for the price, I have been very happy.

Motofool250r
06-20-2012, 06:13 AM
silver which trailer you have?

Higgy87TRX425
06-20-2012, 09:23 PM
Silverlake:
Yeah I'm knda curious as to what type of trailer you have? I've been looking in the $3500-$4000 range and they seem a little cheap, but you've had good luck with yours huh?? It will probabaly be a while before I buy a trailer. I know it seems kinda dumb, but I wanna finish all my bikes up first before I go out and drop 3 to 5k on a nice trailer. I wouldn't mind gettting a used trailer of higher quality thats been treated right, you know. Someone thats taken care of there stuff and done regular maintaince like changing out the tires every couple of years because of dry rott, greasing and or repacking the wheel bearings, those sort of things. I'd have no problem with buying a trailer like that. I'd definately want 8.5 wide, by at least 7ft tall and around 20ft long enclosed of coarse. I can't see, putting 10's of thousands of dollars worth of bikes out in the rain or worse off somewhere that some ******* could steal my pride and joy!!!!
Thanks Higgy!

Higgy87TRX425
06-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Motofool250r:
I think that a trailer 8.5 wide by 7ft tall and 20ft long would easily fit 4 to 5 bikes as long as they were in side ways. I know none of my bikes are 8.5ft long so I think 4 bikes with room to spare wouldn't be a problem!! Hey buddy call me when you get a chance I just tried you about an hr ago?
Thanks Higgy!