PDA

View Full Version : Tow Bar

finsteratv
06-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Has anyone used a tow bar before? My buddy has a sand/mountain buggy and we plan on Tow bar-ing it up to the woods which is about 45min by highway. Then dunes are about 1.5 hours to the little stuff. Anybody know how well just a standard tow bar works on a VW buggy? He has a flatbed if his dad will let him use it..Thanks!

CJM
06-15-2012, 08:04 PM
You would be better off using the flatbed honestly. Much easier time and easier to rig. Tow bar doesnt work so well unless you got a big bumper to put it on (ont he car being towed).

Tow dolly would be best.

finsteratv
06-15-2012, 08:11 PM
Hmm..Thanks Marc, the tow bar is VW specific but I was thinking the flatbed might be better too. Plus coming home we'd be coming down some BIG hills through the pass so trailer brakes on that load might be nice..haha..4.0 in an explorer with trailer brake controller and added tranny cooloer..Think thatd do it?

CJM
06-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Probably, its a small buggy and doesnt weigh much right?

If the tow bars specific to a vw it might work better than most. The standard u-haul bumper type ones aint all that great

finsteratv
06-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Nope its one his dad's used on buggies for awhile now. And I cant imagine it weighing that much, its a small buggy to begin with. Now that I think, It's probably towed more weight in firewood haha.