PDA

View Full Version : need help on purchase

ridein'red7
06-15-2012, 09:23 AM
Hey guys I'm having trouble and decent thoughts on what I want to buy. I'm sick of "updating" my 426ex to keep up and I'm going to by a new quad but just need some advise and some up and downs on the ds 450 and the trx 450r

Quinn4
06-15-2012, 09:46 AM
It depends on e DS model your looking at stock DS or the race specific packages also the year can make a difference 08-10. I will tell you this I over Hondas but lets face it, the Honda is essentially the same bike since its introduction. A few changes in 06 I believe but nothing you'd notice. The technology and quality of components put into the DS is second to none.
But if your buying used you can get a Honda for about 2k where's your gonna spend at least 3k to 9k for a DS. Used 08 to a brand new mx version.
I absolutely love mine and have a slip on, different intake and the pink wire cut its got more powr (useable) than any quad I've ridden including my brothers esr 330r Honda.

ridein'red7
06-15-2012, 04:12 PM
it would be a new just plain jane ds450 or a new trx nothing used and i would do the basic mods like slip on chip and intake maybe cams i ride hard and i do not want any clutch problems or third gear and oilers like the ds has but also do not want to buy the trx for 8 grand and sink another 2 grand to keep up with the others

Quinn4
06-19-2012, 07:01 AM
Sounds like your ready for the DS then.
I think if you do get a plain Jane 08 for piece of mind id get the BCS or equivalent clutch basket maybe even send the clutch cover to BCS for the oiler mod and get a frame reinforcement kit.
Those mods along with a slip on, intake and filter mod and pink wire cut and you wont have to do anything else to it.
The guys on this forum are a great resource blaster99 and jlrenkin (spelling) have been very helpful to me.
Also have a dealer run the vin number to make sure all the recalls and updates have been done if you get am 08.

Quinn4
06-19-2012, 07:03 AM
BTW the 09's and up have the bugs with the frame and clutch worked out so no need for a clutch basket or frame reinforcement kit

blaster99
06-19-2012, 07:38 AM
Are you looking to buy new or used? theres probably still some 08s out there at the dealerships.. just make sure you get all updates and recalls done if you go with an 08. As for things I would say you need to replace.. it really depends on how hard you ride it. I would go with a clutch basket right off the bat. I would get the oil hole drilled in the side cover too. Frame re-enforcements are a very good idea too. Once you do those you should have a pretty reliable bike. A wiring harness may be a good investment down the road as well. I haven't had a DS for almost a year now so I may be forgetting something, but I think I covered most of it... others should be able to chime in.

ridein'red7
06-21-2012, 06:32 PM
hey guys i bought a new 2012 ds its the first new ds 450 in vermont thats a 2012 it will b here next wedsnday and will be put toghther and ready for friday im stoked because the girlfriend wants the ol ex to ride so win win for me i just i need to know if i should get the motoworks sr g2 or just the sr or what ever it is called

Quinn4
06-22-2012, 08:22 AM
Congrats man!! Wish I could get my wife into riding. But anyway ad far as the motoworks go I thought they had a sale on one of the brands
But since I'm from Wisconsin I have to tell you to check out rossier engineering in plover Wisconsin. Guy does amazing work check out his website.

ridein'red7
06-23-2012, 12:02 PM
I wanted the rossier but I think it would be to loud I would live a dasa but there not made anyone got any info on big gun EVO r

Quinn4
06-26-2012, 08:36 AM
It seems like everyone is running motoworks or rossier on the ds450's some guys over at ds450hq.com are selling lots of parts including motoworks exhaust. Which BTW is what I use and love it. Just my 2cents

blaster99
06-26-2012, 03:39 PM
congrats! You have yourself a very nice quad! I always have ran the motoworks exhausts. The G2 has a pretty noticeable gain in power over the standard. Both are much better over stock though.

ridein'red7
06-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Has anyone had luck with biggun