PDA

View Full Version : can you get OEM cranks? what are they worth?

250rPRIDE
06-15-2012, 09:13 AM
I got 2 brand new 89 Honda oem cranks sitting in the sealed box. My good friend needs one and I'm willing to sell him one but don't know what to get for it. I was told you cant get them anymore. I don't want to rip him off nor do I want to rip myself off, seeing how I'll never be able to replace it. What would one sell for on here or eBay?
Thanks

250Renvy
06-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Oem cranks are gone.

They are worth whatever someone is willing to pay, but I'd say no less than $400 right now to not screw yourself. If they were go on ebay, you never know. There have been some ridiculous prices - so the question is do you want to sell it to him at a fair price or do you want to see what some rich guy will pay for it. For all you know it could be worth $1500?

Burns310r
06-15-2012, 02:05 PM
I bought a new one from honda 6 months or so ago for $300 or so. I do believe they have since discontinued them.

250rPRIDE
06-15-2012, 02:12 PM
I have a little over $300 in it, but I dont want to sell it to him for $300 if its worth $600 or more...

Burns310r
06-15-2012, 02:13 PM
You can try to sell it to him for that... But its not worth it.

Hot rods cranks are getting close to OEM quality anymore. And there pricing is going to hold down OEM.

Ask $400 for it.

Kawie450r
06-15-2012, 02:21 PM
http://www.motosport.com/atv/oem-parts/HONDA/1989/TRX250R/CRANKSHAFT

$334.00

89trx250r
06-15-2012, 04:24 PM
See how motosport has a bunch of items in stock and then on the crank they said ships in 3-6 bis. days thats cause they would try to get it from honda lol...They still have plastics for sale too :)

250rPRIDE
06-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Burns310r
You can try to sell it to him for that... But its not worth it.

Hot rods cranks are getting close to OEM quality anymore. And there pricing is going to hold down OEM.

Ask $400 for it.

My buddy that works on ATV's for a living put a hot rod crank in his 86 atc250r 6 months ago and got 4 months out of it and it blew apart, he got over 10 years out of his honda one... he used new honda bearing and gaskets too.. Not sure that I would compare to two in my eyes..

Burns310r
06-15-2012, 08:37 PM
I have had honda ones blow apart as well. So that doenst mean crap.

I know hot rods has had a so-so history. Much better than wiesco.

And whos to say that your buddys crank wasnt on the shelf for a year prior to him getting it.

All im saying is i have been told by a reputable engine builder that the Hot rod cranks built after december 2011 have are much much better that the previous. Nearing hondas quality.

If you can get 700 outta a new OEM crank go for it, but im just saying its not worth that.

250rPRIDE
06-15-2012, 09:53 PM
thats why I started the thread, just to see what its worth never said it was worth 700 and I wouldnt make or rip a buddy off like that.

DnB_racing
06-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by 250rPRIDE
thats why I started the thread, just to see what its worth never said it was worth 700 and I wouldnt make or rip a buddy off like that. if he's a real friend then why not just let him have it for what you paid???
if YOUR a real friend you wouldn't try to make money of a "good friend",

yes of course discontinued parts bring more, you have to ask yourself whats more important money or friendship..

I can almost guarantee you can still find another crank if you put effort into it, it might cost a little more, but they are around.
its harder to find a good friend ..you have to decide whats most important to you

in your first post you said hes a good friend... do you really have to ask us what its worth? the better question to ask yourself is, whats your friendship worth, and what type of friend are you?

what the part is worth, and whats it worth to a good friend ,are 2 completely different amounts. only you can answer this question