PDA

View Full Version : Water pump leaking

fast shee
06-15-2012, 05:04 AM
Go out to pack the trailer to leave for a race in a few hours and find a puddle of coolant under the bike. Its coming frrom the water pump cover area. It is stock as far as i can tell. Is this common and should i let my son still race it or do these just blow out? What should i order to repair it?

nastynotchback1
06-15-2012, 06:08 AM
Just order a water pump repair kit.It is simple to install and once you take it apart you will see how simple.Depending on how bad it is leaking and how bad i need to race would determine if i ran it that way or not.

fomospede
06-15-2012, 09:10 AM
what makes them go bad??
i take are cover off every race and put a light coat of petroleum jelly on rubber grommets and have not had an issue!

fast shee
06-15-2012, 09:44 AM
It only leaked out @1/2-3/4 oz of fluid. Would these usually leak when warm or cold when they start? We are going anyway and will have to keep a close eye on him out there.

tyler70t
06-15-2012, 10:32 AM
We had one that was leaking for about 4 races, just made sure it was topped off before every moto. But buy the kit for $20 and put it in, as a matter of fact pick up 2 so you have a spare.:p

mmsoup
06-16-2012, 07:32 AM
The seal is leaking

You probably don't need to buy the whole kit. Order the Water Pump impeller seal (Not O-Ring) Make sure that the spring side of the seal is facing towards the outside of the cover. We normally buy 5 at a time and and always have them should the issue arise. We also keep a supply of drive wheels. The bearings are very durable and easy to find locally.

You can get a couple of drive wheels and 4-5 seals for the same price as the kit.

We also run the billet impeller to avoid any possible meltdowns.

Last tip, we replace the drive wheel and seals regularly to help keep the impeller off the CVT cover and keep it from chewing it up.

fast shee
06-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Just a update. We raced today without any coolant issues. Got the holeshot, ran second for the whole race and the belt blew on the last lap and dnf'd. My son was so upset and in tears because he wanted to keep riding. Guess 45 min straight was not enough. Now to make a new post for the belt! Thanks guys for the tips!