PDA

View Full Version : what can i do to get for more power?

RaptorRacer
03-06-2003, 07:56 PM
I have a yamaha raptor with a big gun head pipe , a gytr silencer,k&n filter ,shredder tires ,ac nerfs,ac bumper, and a bunch of gytr billet .What could i do to get extra power.

RAPTORAZ
03-06-2003, 07:59 PM
Letting the big dinosaur breathe is the key to making a Raptor run. You didn't mention your airbox mods, jetting or elevation. Let me know this info and I'll do my best to help.

RaptorRacer
03-06-2003, 08:04 PM
stock air box ,stock jetting, and elevation is sea level.

RAPTORAZ
03-06-2003, 08:15 PM
Here goes! First throw away the airbox lid and snorkel. Then screw the top of the air filter to the airbox so it stay's put (the lid actually holds the air filter in place). Or if you prefer, buy a Pro Design kit that mounts to the stock airbox. And then put in some BIG jets. I run a 180/185 combo at Glamis which is near sea level. You'll also need to move the needles up one notch. I'd also recommend bigger pilots. Somewhere in the 25-27.5 range. This is the combo that I am running in mine. With this combo mine has been pretty adapt at crushing most piped Banshee's and all but one 400EX (the Curtis Sparks EX at the last 4 Stroke Wars). Even my own 416EX is no competition. You should see an easy 5 horsepower increase.

RaptorRacer
03-06-2003, 08:25 PM
wouldnt tossing the air box lid put the engin in harms way? what about one of those air box vents and all of the other jetting mods and such?

RAPTORAZ
03-06-2003, 09:17 PM
There isn't much room between the bottom of the seat and the top of the airbox lid. So ventilating the lid won't gain you much. As for putting the engine in harm's way, that's what the air filter is for. To filter out all the contaminents before they reach the engine. I even took out all the rubber shrouding in front of the airbox to give it the most air possible. You won't have any problems without the lid. Unless deep water crossings are part of your riding. You will have to clean the air filter more often though.

Big - D Racing
03-07-2003, 01:27 AM
Am I on the wrong website? Is this raptor-riders.com or ex-riders.com? Where the hell am I?:confused: Somebody help.

RAPTORAZ
03-07-2003, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by Big - D Racing
Am I on the wrong website? Is this raptor-riders.com or ex-riders.com? Where the hell am I?:confused: Somebody help.

Looks to me like you're in San Diego. :D

RAPTORAZ
03-07-2003, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by RaptorRacer
wouldnt tossing the air box lid put the engin in harms way? what about one of those air box vents and all of the other jetting mods and such?

You're also gonna need some type of small filter for the crankcase hose that connects to the airbox lid. I used a differential vent off of a GM truck. They do sell small K&N type filters at most motorcycle shops.

Steve-o 400EX
03-07-2003, 01:17 PM
Try bluetraxx.com, the same thing as exriders but for yamaha's. You will find more useful information from that side considering most of the people here are HONDA riders. Raptoraz helped you out cuz he's got one and knows the setups. Most of us guys only know whats goin on with the R's and EX's. Just trying to help ya out.;)