PDA

View Full Version : weak spark Q

jaspurx
06-14-2012, 12:55 AM
my `05 trx450R has been getting more and more hesitant to start over the last year. but now the spark is so weak it won`t even kickstart. I have to rolling start,drop in gear and dump the clutch.
Yes, I tried new sprk plug,yes I cleaned the coil ground wire and coil contact ground mounting bolts.
I don`t have a meter or the specs on hand to go through the wiring harness,but should I need to is my Q basically,or is it def. the coil thats just tired and weak?

jaspurx
06-14-2012, 01:00 AM
I forgot to add that its so weak that I can`t see it without full on darkness. I had to let my son give 3 kicks to feel it shock me,and it wasn`t a jolting shock,or even a pin prick,but a barely noticable shock.

rageatvlawson8
06-14-2012, 07:09 AM
stator

Balaz_73*00
06-14-2012, 07:28 AM
x2 on the stator

DnB_racing
06-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by jaspurx
my `05 trx450R has been getting more and more hesitant to start over the last year. but now the spark is so weak it won`t even kickstart. I have to rolling start,drop in gear and dump the clutch.
Yes, I tried new sprk plug,yes I cleaned the coil ground wire and coil contact ground mounting bolts.
I don`t have a meter or the specs on hand to go through the wiring harness,but should I need to is my Q basically,or is it def. the coil thats just tired and weak? unfortunately, without proper testing equipment everything is just educated guessing,

I use several different meters to check the harness and components,

a peak volt meter to check coil and stator, along with a basic continuity check,
I also use a DLRO meter to check the harness for any bad connections,
along with a thermal imaging camera to check for any hot spots caused by high resistance

you should at least borrow some one's fluke meter with a min max hold, you can eliminate a few things with this type of meter

or if you have anybody with the same quad you can swap parts but that's not the best way to troubleshoot, but without proper equipment its about all you can do

and dont forget you need a minimum amount of rpms to even get any spark, if your son doesnt have a good leg you wont get any spark

jaspurx
06-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
unfortunately, without proper testing equipment everything is just educated guessing,

I use several different meters to check the harness and components,

a peak volt meter to check coil and stator, along with a basic continuity check,
I also use a DLRO meter to check the harness for any bad connections,
along with a thermal imaging camera to check for any hot spots caused by high resistance

you should at least borrow some one's fluke meter with a min max hold, you can eliminate a few things with this type of meter

or if you have anybody with the same quad you can swap parts but that's not the best way to troubleshoot, but without proper equipment its about all you can do

and dont forget you need a minimum amount of rpms to even get any spark, if your son doesnt have a good leg you wont get any spark

Tats what I was thinking as well ergo why mentioned not being able to test the harness. Could be coil,stator, cdi,or even where the previous owner chopped into the wiring harness for the tetherkill.
I just wanted a more advised opinion to confirm my guesses before I therw cash at the problem needlessly.
Thanks guys