PDA

View Full Version : Cam

Threewits
06-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Does anyone know if Honda offers/offered a HRC Cam for the 400ex or are we limited to the HotCam? Is there a noticeable improvement by using the cam from the XR400 dirt bike or another model?
I am planning on getting the HotCam stage 2 but don't really want the ticking that everyone talks about from the Hotcam.

ish416
06-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Ticking and an EX is just how it goes. Even stock cam EX's tick.

HRC made a cam at one point for the XR's but never one for the EX's.

The XR400 cam is is somewhere around a stage .75 hotcam and will tick just like every other cam.

The stage 2 hotcam and a high compression piston are a great combination.

If you are still on the stock piston, I'm not sure how a stage 2 will work.

Threewits
06-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Thanks, that is what I needed to know!

JOHNDOE83
06-11-2012, 04:30 PM
They all tick, some not bad and some real bad.

I have a stage 2 in my 440, and you can barely even hear the ticking.

It did tick fairly bad at one point then after some jetting and a frame rebuild "not motor rebuild" the ticking is almost gone.

There may "or may not" be ways to stop the ticking, Ive heard of a few ways to stop it and did both at the same time.

So I dont know if it was luck, jetting or frame tweaking but something worked.

jman7290
06-11-2012, 05:39 PM
What did you do to the frame to help stop the ticking? Mine ticks like a time bomb!!!

JOHNDOE83
06-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Right before I did my frame rebuild I saw a thread on ticking, In the thread the guy said that he took his top motor mount off and it seemed as if it were tweaked in the frame "the motor".

He started it without the mount being bolted down at the top mount and noticed that the ticking was gone?

So he loosened all his mounts and re-set the motor without tweaking and the problem was solved.

Another guy in the same type of thread said it was to lean and he fattend up the jetting and it went away.

So I was doing both when I took my frame apart so I figured Id try both and mine stopped ticking?

I had the same tweaking in my frame and was slightly lean, I fixed both and I dunno if it was luck or if it was one or the other but it worked.

When bolting in your motor just dont tighten anything untill all bolts are in loosely without being hard to get in.

I also have thought that the ticking is low rpm pinging, which would explain jetting.

If one or two people can do this and it works we might be onto something.....:D