PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak behind exhaust pipes

djwilliams0822
06-10-2012, 09:58 PM
Ive got oil leaking on the right side of the motor behind the exhaust pipes. It looks like a head gasket. I was wondering if you had to redo the timing when you did the hg.

Stickman400
06-10-2012, 10:29 PM
I had the exact same thing happen to me and it turned out to be one of the long valve cover bolts pulled the threads out and wasn't holding it down, so it just started leaking oil right there. But to answer your question, you have to "redo" the timing everytime you pull the top end off. And by "redo" you just need to set the engine at TDC and line the lines on the cam sprocket up with the top of the head. It's not very hard.

djwilliams0822
06-11-2012, 09:47 AM
So while im there i should change the head gasket and everything right? And i have to retap the bolt? What size?

Stickman400
06-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Yes you should get an all new top end gasket kit. I recommend getting a Cometic MLS type kit, they work really well. And if you're problem is the same as mine I took it to a local shop and had them install a 7mm (I think that's what size they are) heli-coil for it, because you can't re-tap threads in that soft aluminum, it'll just pull it out again unless you drill it out to the next bigger size.

01boneless
06-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Stickman400
Yes you should get an all new top end gasket kit. I recommend getting a Cometic MLS type kit, they work really well. And if you're problem is the same as mine I took it to a local shop and had them install a 7mm (I think that's what size they are) heli-coil for it, because you can't re-tap threads in that soft aluminum, it'll just pull it out again unless you drill it out to the next bigger size.
6mm

CJM
06-11-2012, 03:35 PM
yes 6mm is the size, I recall its 6mmx1.0 thread.

Either helicoil it or cut new threads for 1/4" (SLIGHTLY larger than 6mm) or do a 7mm.

Id make sure this is what the problem is before you start going nuts.

JOHNDOE83
06-11-2012, 04:21 PM
That happend to me right after I got my cam installed, it started leaking in the same spot.

I just left it that way and never had a issue...lol.

That was over 5 years ago.

But you should probaly fix it....:chinese: