PDA

View Full Version : timing chain

Steve89x
06-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Is there only certain years for the crf450 timing chain that should be used or will any
year work..? My quad just quit on me today...I never did a HD timing chain when.i rebuilt so I'm hoping that the timing is only off ..it still turns over but the rockers are really loud and it won't start....as I was riding they got really loud and then I turned it off when we took a break and then it wouldn't start again.....I'm gonna open the motor up tomorrow or Tuesday...any input?

CJM
06-10-2012, 09:17 PM
I used an 02 CRF450 one as did a few others, I know it fits. Not sure but I think its 00-04 maybe?

Steve89x
06-10-2012, 09:35 PM
Ok thanks ya my 400 is an 05...but I guess I'm buying a new timing chain most like and who knows what else...anything else suggested?? The sliders or tensioners or anything? Or does that depend in if their worn or bad first.?

CJM
06-10-2012, 09:42 PM
The tensioner id just replace, its not worth the headache if its bad or going bad and leaves you stranded. I took a gamble with mine and its ok but I still worry.

The chain sliders only need to be replaced if they are worn, so Id hold off ordering them unless you wanna replace them for GP anyways. I will warn you they aint cheap.

As for changing everything: Your gonna need a clutch holding tool and a clutch side gasket b/c the clutch has to come off iirc.