PDA

View Full Version : Are all needles the same?

ajw2685
06-10-2012, 07:08 PM
I am looking at getting an adjustable needle for my 400X. I am looking on Flea-Bay and other places. I can buy a no name carb rebuild kit for $25 on Ebay or I can buy a Dyno-Jet needle and a few jets for $50. I only need the needle. I am just looking to fine tune my carb for the slip-on exhaust. I just wanted to make sure I did not get a "racing" needle or something with too much or too little taper. An oem adjustable needle should be plenty.

TheAwesomehonda
06-10-2012, 07:14 PM
I'm just gonna say that the needle isn't gonna be a big deal when tuning/jetting your carb. You should be fine just switch your pilot and main. I mean most people with the adjustable needle have them at the 3rd or 4th notch anyhow.

CJM
06-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
I'm just gonna say that the needle isn't gonna be a big deal when tuning/jetting your carb. You should be fine just switch your pilot and main. I mean most people with the adjustable needle have them at the 3rd or 4th notch anyhow.

WRONG!

The needle is a fine tuning adjustment. Its needed b/c as you open the throttle more the needle moves allowing more fuel to flow into the carb. Higher or lower the needle clip can easily allow you to tune the carb for optimal performance.

If you dont have an adjustable needle either buy a shindy carb rebuild kit or buy a needle for an 99-04 400ex from honda (they are adjustable).

Also having the proper pilot and main jets will allow the machine to run optimally as well.

TheAwesomehonda
06-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by CJM
WRONG!

The needle is a fine tuning adjustment. Its needed b/c as you open the throttle more the needle moves allowing more fuel to flow into the carb. Higher or lower the needle clip can easily allow you to tune the carb for optimal performance.

If you dont have an adjustable needle either buy a shindy carb rebuild kit or buy a needle for an 99-04 400ex from honda (they are adjustable).

Also having the proper pilot and main jets will allow the machine to run optimally as well. lol ok guess what i already knew all the above!!!! My point is having an adjustable neddle isn't a big deal (probably the reason why they didn't put them on the newer models) and isn't necessary even with a modified quad.

Stickman400
06-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Just shut up now while you're still ahead because everything you just said is still wrong.

TheAwesomehonda
06-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Stickman400
Just shut up now while you're still ahead because everything you just said is still wrong. Useful info man that was very helpful the this thread. NOT!!!!:devil:

CJM
06-10-2012, 09:16 PM
How many times must I say it dude: You need to know what your talking about before you give advice.

That being said, just accept the fact your wrong. Telling me you already knew it when you clearly stated it made no difference earlier is making you look like an idiot. If you knew it then why bother stating the exact opposite? :confused:

TheAwesomehonda
06-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by CJM
How many times must I say it dude: You need to know what your talking about before you give advice.

That being said, just accept the fact your wrong. Telling me you already knew it when you clearly stated it made no difference earlier is making you look like an idiot. If you knew it then why bother stating the exact opposite? :confused: I was saying that i know what the needle in the carb does. My question is if this adjustable needle is such a big deal then why don't they put them on the newer models?

CJM
06-10-2012, 09:55 PM
I was saying that i know what the needle in the carb does. My question is if this adjustable needle is such a big deal then why don't they put them on the newer models?

Cost saving measure? Just like why do they jet it insanely lean from the factory when they know damn well those jets wont work everywhere?

Drfat400ex
06-11-2012, 05:34 PM
I was saying that i know what the needle in the carb does. My question is if this adjustable needle is such a big deal then why don't they put them on the newer models?
Dude, you're arguing with guys that are pretty much mechanical geniouses. They changed them probably because I belive the clip fell off the old ones a lot. Or because people were messing with them that had no idea what they were doing and making it run bad and giving the mechanics stupid jobs like that. No one knows, but if you're going to put a lot of money in your bike you want it perfect.

powerbomb400
06-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Cheaper to make with one groove instead of several. It is important to adjust the needle. Let's you adjust the carb to give the motor snap when you hit the throttle.

CJM and Stickman400 know what they are talking about.!!!