PDA

View Full Version : New Honda 250x owner

brentgale
06-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Hi all,

Just joined the forum, I just purchased a 1987 Honda 250x, it runs really well. just needs a little cosmetics, which i am already working on. I have a 220 Kaw bayou and when i rode the honda what a power difference:D Kinda put a tingle you know where....The only issue i have found is it has a after market pipe and muffler and it is kinda warm on the right leg area, the previous owner told me it was re-jetted properly, have any of you guys tried thermo-tec pipe shield or have any other suggestions, there is no heat shield at all at this point on the header pipe.
I just putt around on trails no racing.

thanks

brent

Thumper330
06-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Try wrapping the pipe with header wrap. I had the same problem with my 300 and it made a BIG difference. I would just suggest after you wash it or you ride in the water to run it till it dries up the wrapping.

Y2daT420
06-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Thumper's got it. header wrap u can find some at you'r local auto parts store...
I once burnt the **** out of my leg on the aftermarket pipe on my 250x.
I was wearing shorts and when I pulled my leg off the pipe my skin was melted like cheese :(
the header will get way hotter than uncomfortable.

brentgale
06-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Thanks guys, I used the header wrap and man what a difference, after the burn-off i tested after a 15min run with the back of my hand with a riding glove and did not feel much heat at all, tried without the glove and it was hot but not enough to cause a serious burn...You guys rock, much more comfortable riding now..

Thanks

Brent

svtctr
06-22-2012, 12:36 PM
on the top right of the engine in the picture, is that a decompression valve that allows for easy starting?

jaxes88
06-22-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm glad you like your 250x. I have one and even though it's not that big it's still a blast to ride and provides hours of fun. Also I know that it will still do so in another 24 years. stvctr to answer your question yes that is a decomp. lever, like alot of older hondas it automatically rotates when you kick start the engine.

brentgale
06-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by svtctr
on the top right of the engine in the picture, is that a decompression valve that allows for easy starting?

It has a linkage that comes from the kick starter, its kinda neat how it works as soon as you push the kick starter down, it starts very easy 1st or 2nd kick every time dont even have use the choke. I have a honda XR200r that also starts easy but the choke is a must. .Jax .I agree on the size it not a big atv but is very gutsy, great for riding trails and playing on the dirt piles around my house, and thats what I told my wife when she said "Its kinda old" when i bought it.

Y2daT420
06-23-2012, 08:16 AM
I have my original motor.
86 250x
It locked up at a slow rpm.
I haven't opened it up to inspect damage.
I will be willing to let it go cheap if ur interested. pm me if u want im in eastern N.C. and would rather not ship it cuz ups likes to drop heavy things.

Y2daT420
06-23-2012, 08:25 AM
" ever notice how the "ride it like you stole it crowd doesn't have anything nice".
:D LOL
yep If we had spent 5000.00 or more for our machines we'd worry more about breaking them.
when you get one for 500.00 or less you just don't care if you wreck it or break it.
when you dont care the quads are lots more fun
btw I love the expensive ones as well

brentgale
06-24-2012, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Y2daT420
I have my original motor.
86 250x
It locked up at a slow rpm.
I haven't opened it up to inspect damage.
I will be willing to let it go cheap if ur interested. pm me if u want im in eastern N.C. and would rather not ship it cuz ups likes to drop heavy things.

Man I wish you were closer....I use to make a trip that way a few times when my son was stationed at Fort Bragg, but he is out now...dam..And ya shipping would be outragious Thanks anyway.

brent

svtctr
06-25-2012, 08:48 AM
thanks guys, i kinda figured thats what it was since my 6.5hp honda clone does it when you pull the pull cord