PDA

View Full Version : Staying seated on the lip of a jump?

01boneless
06-09-2012, 09:24 PM
hey guys ive been riding mx pretty hard this season (most of last) and I was noticing today that all of the pros on the track were seated all the way to the lip of the jump then they would stand up real fast , now i usally stand like 5 feet before the jump and hit it and i noticed there way seems quicker. any tips on how i should start practicing it? i know not to hit the jump sitting down unless i want to end up on the gas tank lol also what is the point of this? more distance or something? thanks guys .

rollie
06-09-2012, 10:06 PM
If your suspension is set up correctly you can hit jumps sitting down pretty easily, the pro's are probably just staying as low as they can and pushing the bike down at the lip, sort of scrubing

01boneless
06-09-2012, 10:39 PM
hmm really cause i get bucked off on a seated jump (over the bars) and i seem to have my shocks and stuff set up decent. there all on stock yfzr's (besides pipe and nerfs rims ect) no aftermarket suspenion at all :/ and yea thats sorta what ive seen them doing but there as$ is on the seat all the way onto the lip, i mean i dont really care if i can do it or not just wondering why they did that looked pretty cool lol

hontrx265r
06-10-2012, 08:31 AM
They do it because standing up, sitting down, standing up etc.. is work and wears you out. If you can stay low/seated/smooth, you will use less energy.

300ex_#387
06-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Just like anything else it takes practice to use that technique. Its really not something you can just start doing. Try starting out by practicing it off smaller jumps with gradual slopes to see what you need to do with your body once you come off the face.

slightlybent47
06-10-2012, 05:29 PM
There’s many ways to jump a jump. If there sitting all the way to the lip, it tends to pre load the suspension a bit and that will give you more lift or distance depending on the lip. If I sit from lift off to landing I lock my legs around the tank to keep from getting that seat bump that tends to throw you up over the bars. Just like a bull rider locks there legs on the bull to stay on.
Scrubbing is generally done by standing all the way to the lip and just as you lift off you let the bike rise up to you as you drop down on the seat. This helps in keeping you from lifting off so high and kills the upward momentum, witch shortens the lift you get but you still get just enough distance to clear the jump.
Some will even drag the front break up the face to kill momentum, but you have to get it just rite or you’ll go head first into the dirt.
Throttle control is part of the jumping technique. Too much will make the rear tires spin off the lip and can throw you sideways. Too little or chopping the throttle can throw you over the bars. Most jumps it’s best to stay smooth on the gas, don’t chop or blip the gas on takeoff.

To your question, sitting on takeoff and then standing up right after the take off is a way to get distance.

slightlybent47
06-10-2012, 08:29 PM
I forgot to add that the shape of the face will affect how you should attack the jump.

piejazz96
06-10-2012, 09:02 PM
^^This

wilkin250r
06-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
To your question, sitting on takeoff and then standing up right after the take off is a way to get distance.

I'm thinking it's the opposite. Big air and huge distance is a speed-killer, unless you actually need it to make a double or triple.

Watch these pros on a step-down, they are in the air as little as possible.

slightlybent47
06-11-2012, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I'm thinking it's the opposite. Big air and huge distance is a speed-killer, unless you actually need it to make a double or triple.

Watch these pros on a step-down, they are in the air as little as possible.

Well you kind of answered your own question.
Big air does slow you down, but if you want to clear big jumps you gotta get enough distance to clear the jump.
Some jumps don’t have enough runway to get up enough speed to clear the jump. So by pre loading (in this case by sitting) and then standing up after you launch gives you lift. Witch translates into distance.
In other words, there trying to extend the air time to clear a jump with a short runway up to that jump.
Think of it like this. If you come up to a jump that requires 30 mph to clear it, but you only have enough room and power to approach it at 25 mph. you need something else to compensate for that other 5 mph.
Pre loading (in this case by sitting) forces the suspension all the way down to it full travel. Then when you leave the lip the suspension wants to force the bike in the upward direction.
If you rise to the standing passion as the suspension unloads it can help extend the air time to allow you to get that extra 5 feet you need to clear the jump.
You can also pre load by forcing the suspension down as you come up the face by standing on the approach. Kind of like doing a bunny hop on a bicycle, only you’re using the spring in the suspension to give you that extra lift.
Generally I tend to pre load at high speed by sitting on take off and then standing after I leave the lip. At slow speed I use the standing method to get the lift I need.
A lot of it depends on the shape of the face and how you have your suspension set up.

Step downs tend to be deferent. Because you start off above your landing you don’t generally need lift, just distance.

Sorry it’s hard to explain on paper, the laws of physics and how to use them to your advantage.

blacknblue#2
06-11-2012, 06:57 AM
I seat jump out of tight corners....Its something you have to make yourself comfortable at doing and you cant be tense when doing it. If there is a big air technical jump right out of a curve then in my experience a seat jump is the best technique to use. COme out of the curve hard on the gas, keep your weight on the seat up the face, be comfortable and semi-limp...When you come off the face let the bike put ya where it wants ya basically...If your nice and limber off the face and the bike is set up right it will put you where you want your body to be and you will have a nice level and smooth ride..

01boneless
06-11-2012, 09:11 AM
thanks guys ! i tried a few at the track and learned them pretty well on the smaller table tops

TheLane
06-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Another big reason for this is that when your seated and leaning back it can reduce wheelspin and increase traction.

I always try to be seated and leaning back as often as i can ESPECIALLY on hard packed tracks.

DP #000
06-12-2012, 04:54 PM
i usually only sat down on most jumps when i got tired. which was like 2 laps in haha

beastlywarrior
06-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by DP #000
i usually only sat down on most jumps when i got tired. which was like 2 laps in haha
X2 on the smaller ones warriors and banshees kill you fast on a track lol

KXRida
06-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Imo really the only time you should be seated is for cornering, straights, and seat bouncing. 90% of the time you should be in the attack position. Seat bouncing is one of those things that takes time to learn. Whatever you do, never chop the throttle on a seat bounce. The farther back you are seated, the more of an effect you'll get. The only time I really used it was running some sx tracks and jumps out of corners. It's a technique that can really be beneficial when running a 250f on some of the bigger tracks up here.

blacknblue#2
06-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
Imo really the only time you should be seated is for cornering, straights, and seat bouncing. 90% of the time you should be in the attack position. Seat bouncing is one of those things that takes time to learn. Whatever you do, never chop the throttle on a seat bounce. The farther back you are seated, the more of an effect you'll get. The only time I really used it was running some sx tracks and jumps out of corners. It's a technique that can really be beneficial when running a 250f on some of the bigger tracks up here. see I have better luck grabbin a boost of throttle when the shocks are compressing during a seat bounce. I know every rider is different tho. But if I feel like I'm gonna need a little more preloading I will jab the throttle real hard about mid face of the jump. It has been known to throw me nose high doing it that way but I usually try to get myself level with the rear brake at that point. I guess all this is why you have to be comfortable to do seat bounces. So you can react fast enough to save your ace if it goes wrong lol

Drfat400ex
06-14-2012, 08:21 PM
If you want to get a lot better whip leverage I just get the arse about 1/2 inch off the seat and crouch up real good. It gets REALLY tiring going so low though, but on most jumps I'd bust a nut trying to sit on them.

trick450r
06-21-2012, 08:11 AM
I sit down on any and all jumps (as long as the face allows, by second moto the whoop that develops on the lip will put your tailbone into your mouth if your not carefull) low is fast its as simple as that. Its half about preload, and half about staying low and getting wheels in the dirt as fast as possible.

He who is back on the dirt and under power the fastest wins.

slightlybent47
06-21-2012, 12:56 PM
He who is back on the dirt and under power the fastest wins. [/B]

Are you sure about that?lol

KXRida
06-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by trick450r

This is mostly true.... Hit a 120' jump that only a few other guys are hitting and see how much time you make up over the guys that aren't hitting it.

trick450r
06-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
This is mostly true.... Hit a 120' jump that only a few other guys are hitting and see how much time you make up over the guys that aren't hitting it.

I didnt say dont hit it, I said "he who is on the ground fastest" implying that both riders would be in the air, the idea is to stay as low as possible and make the gap...feel free to argue, remember that bubba changed motocross with his scrubs. Whats the point of scrubbing? to maintain as much ground speed as possible going into a jump, or roller. without the side effect of big air.

slightlybent47
06-23-2012, 03:56 PM
I didnt say dont hit it, I said "he who is on the ground fastest" implying that both riders would be in the air, the idea is to stay as low as possible and make the gap...feel free to argue, remember that bubba changed motocross with his scrubs. Whats the point of scrubbing? to maintain as much ground speed as possible going into a jump, or roller. without the side effect of big air.

That only works if you’re fast when you’re on the ground.lol
Clearing a jump can be a fast way to get over an obstacle but if your slow when you get back on the ground, it would make little deference.
And clearing all jumps is not necessarily the fastest way to get around a track.

TheLane
06-25-2012, 09:42 AM
That only works if you’re fast when you’re on the ground.lol
Clearing a jump can be a fast way to get over an obstacle but if your slow when you get back on the ground, it would make little deference.
And clearing all jumps is not necessarily the fastest way to get around a track.

So what your saying is that, because he uses this technique he is slow on the ground?

Man! people with argue with you for anything, this is a prime example of " well now that you made a good point and mine is invaluable YOU obviously are doing something else wrong to make you slow"

lol you guys are rediculous.

Scrubbing a jump is a valid technique, staying seated is ALSO a viable technique to get as much traction as possible. End of thread.

chronicsmoke
06-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Would it be better if I stood on the seat coming off the lip? :p

01boneless
06-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
Would it be better if I stood on the seat coming off the lip? :p
I would...

slightlybent47
06-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by TheLane
So what your saying is that, because he uses this technique he is slow on the ground?

Man! people with argue with you for anything, this is a prime example of " well now that you made a good point and mine is invaluable YOU obviously are doing something else wrong to make you slow"

lol you guys are rediculous.

Scrubbing a jump is a valid technique, staying seated is ALSO a viable technique to get as much traction as possible. End of thread.

Talk about wanting to argue! Can you comprehend what you read?

madskrillz2
06-25-2012, 07:46 PM
I sit down on any and all jumps (as long as the face allows, by second moto the whoop that develops on the lip will put your tailbone into your mouth if your not carefull) low is fast its as simple as that. Its half about preload, and half about staying low and getting wheels in the dirt as fast as possible.

You do realize a seat bounce just throws you higher right? That's the whole point; getting as much preload out of the shock as you can.

quad2xtreme
06-25-2012, 08:08 PM
For what it's worth...

I attended an ATV training camp with Natalie, Wimmer, and Dunk a couple years ago at BPG. I asked John if he could do a small session on seat bouncing technique. He said he could spend 10-15 minutes on it on one of the jumps but he said he's never used seat bouncing in an MX race. He said it could be used from time-to-time in some XC events but he couldn't think of a single jump you needed to seat bounce at any of the National tracks.

TheLane
06-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Just because your seated doesnt mean your going to preform a seat bounce.

This is what you get when you have people who have never used a technique talking about the ins and outs of it.

TheLane
06-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Talk about wanting to argue! Can you comprehend what you read?

and yes, yes i can just fine.

madskrillz2
06-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by TheLane
Just because your seated doesnt mean your going to preform a seat bounce.

This is what you get when you have people who have never used a technique talking about the ins and outs of it.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/21481206.jpg