PDA

View Full Version : Clutch perch question

BeefySTi
06-09-2012, 07:13 PM
If i want to change to a AOF style aftermarket clutch lever/perch, how do I negate the switch in the stock perch that lets you start in gear with the clutch pulled? Also, will I be able to start in in gear without that switch? I do not have a parking brake, and want to get rid of the clunky perch.

b0rn c0nfused
06-09-2012, 09:25 PM
You wire the 2 wires together going into the perch. It will start in gear with the clutch out after you do this.

hondaREX
06-12-2012, 08:10 AM
I just taped the 2 ends and can only start in neutral. Kind of a pain and i consider connecting them together EVERY ride but i deal with it.

Stickman400
06-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by hondaREX
I just taped the 2 ends and can only start in neutral. Kind of a pain and i consider connecting them together EVERY ride but i deal with it. I did that also.

TheAwesomehonda
06-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by b0rn c0nfused
You wire the 2 wires together going into the perch. It will start in gear with the clutch out after you do this. I did that. I have no idea why you would make it that it can only start in neutral, that must get really annoying...

powerbomb400
06-12-2012, 03:47 PM
I took a flat male connector and ground it to where I could plug the two wires together then wrapped them with electric tape and taped them to the handle bars. It will start even if you don't pull the clutch in. That way I could put a aftermarket lever and perch on.

hondaREX
06-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
I did that. I have no idea why you would make it that it can only start in neutral, that must get really annoying...

I hear ya, but im more annoyed with not having reverse and im doing fine without that too!!! The more i think about it, the more i want to connect them.... I think ive been talked into it!!! I dont think its going to be that easy to talk me into a reverse 400 tho!! Or the wife!!

powerbomb400
06-12-2012, 06:41 PM
All it is on the factory perch is a relay. Its a safety feature. For woods riding the reverse does come in handy. Beats getting off to get out of a mudhole.:D

BeefySTi
06-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Thanks to everyone who answered

powerbomb400
06-14-2012, 07:20 PM
Did you plug the wires together and get you a aftermarket perch?

BeefySTi
06-15-2012, 08:10 PM
haha, not yet. just been thinking about it because my clutch it a little stiff and i think it is just wearing out. newish cable is lubed, put some grease on the bolt that holds the whole perch assembly together and it helps a little. But when I go to the dealer and feel a brand new 400's clutch lever, I get jealous! haha.

Also, the wife would kill me if I bought anything else for the quad right now. Having to drop $10,000 on having my main sewage drain relined next week and need a new roof also... so money is TIGHT!!!

BeefySTi
06-20-2012, 05:14 PM
I went and bought one seeing as I do not have to drop that $10k afterall. MSR AOF. it is NICE!!!! super smooth and WAY better than the old stock set-up!
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c226/rcs147/clutchperch1.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c226/rcs147/clutchperch2.jpg

powerbomb400
06-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Looks good. I like the easy adjustment on the clutch cable.

BeefySTi
06-21-2012, 06:08 PM
yeah, it is super slick. has a ball bearing that is spring loaded and locks it where you adjust it until you turn the knob again. I thought what the hell since I got it new on eBay for $26.

CJM
06-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Overtime the spot where the cable goes can pick up dirt. I spray chain lube on it (I use teflon based lube) every so often to keep it smooth.

Ive only broken one of them btw after I smacked a tree when I slid on the side of a hill.

BeefySTi
06-21-2012, 06:28 PM
well, hopefully, if i hit a tree the handguards will do their job. since i put them on, i havent hit anything. but before i put them on i hit a tree and it pinched the outside of my hand between the bars and tree. it was a weird angle, all the weight of the quad was pushing against the tree and i couldnt get loose. had to have a friend yank on the quad as i yanked my hand out. not more than a bruise and hurt ego. but i got to thinking that i could have broken my hand (been there, not fun) and didnt want to take the chance, so hence the handguards. hopefully they would protect the lever too.