PDA

View Full Version : This Tire Setup Good?

cheater13
06-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Need some new tires and i don't think i'm going to get holeshots anymore even though they were good to me. I heard they have softer tread than some others. I'm thinking of going with these Razrs 20x11-9 4 ply:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/50/81/165/1446/-/8665/Maxxis-Razr-ATV-Tire

What do you guys think? 160 bucks plus free shipping is pretty good if these tires are worth it.

GAZ-V-21
06-09-2012, 04:23 PM
I have those tires and like them alot

TacicalRedneck
06-09-2012, 04:31 PM
arn't those razr mx tires? I like them a lot by looking at them as an mx tire, just love the way they look...

But if i was to get razrs (for my riding style) I'd shoot for razr II's or some GBC X-rex's (same as razrs except dirt cheap... from what i've heard... i'm going to give them a try btw...)

Goldspeed has some good looking mx style tires to... a Bit higher.. maybe it's the STI tech 4 or something i'm thinking of, looks just like a razr cross.... but i'm not to slick on knowing the mx tires...

TheAwesomehonda
06-09-2012, 05:36 PM
I have those tires except in 6 ply version. They are great except for a moist mx track they will hook up hard coming out of turns and can screw you up.

cheater13
06-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Well, i don't want to spend over 80 bucks a tire because on my budget, that's alittle expensive. I need to find some front rims because mine is dented and the tire leaks.

But i was thinking of getting the 6 ply, but i think i'll just stay with 4 ply.

BeefySTi
06-09-2012, 07:23 PM
do you woods ride or ride in rocky terrain? if so, i would be a little skittish about 4-plys... I understand you are on a budget, but it wont do you any good if you tear up a tire on some roots or a rock and have to buy a whole new tire. If all you do is track, then by all means. I am just saying a 6-ply would be your best bet for trails. just my .02

cheater13
06-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by BeefySTi
do you woods ride or ride in rocky terrain? if so, i would be a little skittish about 4-plys... I understand you are on a budget, but it wont do you any good if you tear up a tire on some roots or a rock and have to buy a whole new tire. If all you do is track, then by all means. I am just saying a 6-ply would be your best bet for trails. just my .02
I try to avoid rocks and all that. I ride on semi-cleaned of trails and open fields. I do race some but not alot. These holeshots i have are only 4 ply and i run over everything with them and their about bawled so them razrs should be able to withstand some. I don't want too heavy of a tire.

HondaRacing83
06-10-2012, 06:15 PM
gbs x rexs are cheaper and 6ply. buy them. go to kgmotorcycles website and look on there i think the rears are like $68 a piece.

crazya**400exer
06-10-2012, 07:03 PM
I had the 6 ply and they are really good thy didnt wear fast at all even on the blacktop and gravel

TheAwesomehonda
06-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by crazya**400exer
I had the 6 ply and they are really good thy didnt wear fast at all even on the blacktop and gravel I agree! I ride on the road a lot and i don't notice much wear at all.

cheater13
06-10-2012, 09:25 PM
So you guys are saying them X-Revs are the exact same thing as razr's? And how do they perform on the mx track? I thought that the 6 ply would weigh the fourwheeler down alittle more than 4 ply.

CJM
06-10-2012, 09:40 PM
yea x-rex is same thing as razr2, both are made by cheng shin tire.

No idea bout the mx track tho.

cheater13
06-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by CJM
yea x-rex is same thing as razr2, both are made by cheng shin tire.

No idea bout the mx track tho.
Alright thanks for the input. But i just looked and they are 72 bucks a tire so that would only be around a 20 dollar difference if I got the original razrs besides the x-rex is 6 ply.

Anyone have input on how they do on the track and cornering?

CJM
06-10-2012, 09:56 PM
original razrs is alot less aggressive than the razr 2, knobs are much smaller.

bout all i know.

HondaRacing83
06-10-2012, 10:01 PM
they are made for woods. they are probably cheaper on kgmotorcycle. i got all 4 of mine for $240 shipped

cheater13
06-10-2012, 10:33 PM
They look like good tires but I race on a track sometimes and dragrace every so often. I also ride in fields and semi-clean trails.

Stickman400
06-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Depends on what type of track you are on. If it's packed dirt they won't grip very well, but then again nothing will do good on that. If you're on a tilled and maintained track then they will hook up very well, but they will bite more than what you will want in the corners so you will either have to lean hard or you'll need the power to break them loose to get them to slide through it. I'd go with the regular Razr's if you're planning on being on a track for a major part of the time.

cheater13
06-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Stickman400
Depends on what type of track you are on. If it's packed dirt they won't grip very well, but then again nothing will do good on that. If you're on a tilled and maintained track then they will hook up very well, but they will bite more than what you will want in the corners so you will either have to lean hard or you'll need the power to break them loose to get them to slide through it. I'd go with the regular Razr's if you're planning on being on a track for a major part of the time.
Thanks Stickman! But I don't plan on being on it a lot, just probably 40% of the time. Drag racing I only do in summer and the rest is open fields and trails. I know my cousin got the 4 ply razr's on his banshee and he loves them. He goes wherever he wants to and don't have a problem according to him.

Stickman400
06-10-2012, 10:45 PM
If you wnt predictable sliding and good grip then the Razrs are what you want. If you want you decent cornering and insane amounts of grip then you want the Razr 2's(X-rex's).

cheater13
06-10-2012, 10:48 PM
I'll probably end up gettin razr's cause I like doing my occasional donuts too and them x-rex tires seem like they would hook too good.

chronicsmoke
06-11-2012, 07:04 AM
I agree with stickman.. A regular razr will be better suited to your needs.. I had a set of Razr IIs & Holeshot HD's when I was first getting into MX and I didn't find them predictable for cornering with the huge side lugs.

TheAwesomehonda
06-11-2012, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
I agree with stickman.. A regular razr will be better suited to your needs.. I had a set of Razr IIs & Holeshot HD's when I was first getting into MX and I didn't find them predictable for cornering with the huge side lugs. Yeah but like a said before the razr 1's aren't very predictable for cornering either on a sticky track.. altho i've never ran razr II's but i'm guessing they would be alot worse..

chronicsmoke
06-11-2012, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
Yeah but like a said before the razr 1's aren't very predictable for cornering either on a sticky track.. altho i've never ran razr II's but i'm guessing they would be alot worse..

True, but he still wants 20's. In my experience the Razr 1's are way more predictable than the II's or HD's, just look at the sidewall. I think the side lugs are the determining factor. The II's and HD's were easy enough to initiate the turn, but the sidewalls bite and limit the drift. (on my 450 in loamy sand condition)

If he wants IDEAL MX cornering abilities, he needs 18's, especially with a 400ex

TheAwesomehonda
06-11-2012, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
True, but he still wants 20's. In my experience the Razr 1's are way more predictable than the II's or HD's, just look at the sidewall. I think the side lugs are the determining factor. The II's and HD's were easy enough to initiate the turn, but the sidewalls bite and limit the drift. (on my 450 in loamy sand condition)

If he wants IDEAL MX cornering abilities, he needs 18's, especially with a 400ex Yup i agree.. I had 18's on my 400ex once on the mx track and wow it was like so awesome..

beastlywarrior
06-11-2012, 10:23 AM
The razr is the best you can use for mx in a 20" size

cheater13
06-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the help guys! I'll get them razr's early next month before the races. All I need now is two front rims that aren't bent... Lol