PDA

View Full Version : Ds450 good or bad?

Rohr397
06-07-2012, 10:55 AM
What's up everyone? I just saw the new 2013 Ds450xmx and I am blown away. I was planning to pickup a Yfz450r at the end of the year but with everything the new Ds has on it I'm thinking about going with that instead.

The thing holding me back is reliability. I've heard nothing good about the frames which worries me a bit (same reason I'm second guessing the Yfz). Right now I'm not exactly in the best position with my 400ex since my frame is cracked so I'd prefer not to be in this situation again. On the other hand I've heard that it's easy to repair a Ds frame and I plan to get a warranty.

I haven't heard any news of a frame update that would fix these problems on the 2013 yet, so I was curious what Ds owners themselves had to say about the quad.

Thanks!

pdpdrummer123
06-10-2012, 12:08 PM
hey man i just traded my 400 for a 2009 ds 450 x-mx and needless to say i am really happy with it so far she feaking rips i haven't heard of any frame problems with the ds just oil squiter problems. but look at it this was now wuad is perfect all of them have problems whether its a honda, yamaha, suzuki, ktm etc. they all have there problems. so id say go for it for sure!

pdpdrummer123
06-10-2012, 12:09 PM

pdpdrummer123
06-10-2012, 12:10 PM

pdpdrummer123
06-10-2012, 12:10 PM

Rohr397
06-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Sounds good to me! I really don't plan to get ridiculous with it but I want a good quad that isn't really abused, and I'd like to get a 450 that I can keep close to stock to keep it as reliable as possible. They seem pretty powerful with just the pink wire mod and other than maybe a Motoworks exhaust I wanna keep it simple. I hear all kinds of things about the clutch, the frame and the motor going bad fast but I've never heard it from the one or two Ds owners I know, only riders on other quads.

bencasey217
06-10-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm having the same problem, I want to start racing and I cant decide which I want. :confused: Can Am does offers alot more, but Yamaha has more power and the last 450 shootout the Yamaha won. I really wish more people would comment on this

Rohr397
06-10-2012, 10:23 PM
I know what you mean! I am partial to Yamaha just because I started on them, but I won't buy the 450r. The subframe problems aren't worth it. I know guys who just took too many hard landings or they rolled them in a non-serious accident (wheelie roll over or going over in a corner) and they broke their subframe. Wasn't as bad as the subframes that were braking clean off, but they broke the mount and tweaked the whole thing. I can't convince myself to spend $8000 on a quad that's gonna blow through the subframe.

blaster99
06-11-2012, 05:26 AM
I would strongly suggest the DS450. Unless you beating it pretty hard you wont have a frame problem.

Quinn4
06-11-2012, 07:18 AM
I go about 255 and I bought a frame reinforcement kit and BCS clutch basket just for insurance on my 08 I've had no problems with since having the updates done
If you put a can am next to an other quad especially the 13's the fit finish and use of quality components is second to none.
Can am wants to build the best quads in the world and it shows

austin141h
01-10-2013, 12:06 PM
I have had race 450r's, ltrs, and my ds, one of my 450r's was one of uppermans bikes made 60hp, but my ds is the most comfortable quad i have ridden, not a single problem motor wise, always starts up first two cranks, and the clutch problem (chirping/squaling) is a simple fix. just by putting on more clutch plate its gone. I race tqra and some arenacross and dunes as well and i have never broke my frame, and mine does not even have BCS rienforcement brackets and stuff either. mostly stock with pink wire, exhaust and fox shocks. They are a very well built machine.
My 2 cents