PDA

View Full Version : for smart shcok people (i am dumb)

300EXrider02
03-06-2003, 05:17 PM
well i thought i would turn to my good ol' friends on exriders.com for some hep, on the basics of shocks...i need to knwo what certain parts are, if they need to be fixed and i have a few questions...
1. In this pic, i am pointing to something that is a piece of metal that slides up and down around the shock (under the spring) wonmdering if this needs to be tightened...also the arrow is pointing to the actual shock, on top, and jsut wondering if it is suppoed to move, and rotate, becasue i can turn it all the way around...wondering if that needs to be adjusted also...
Bear with me i have no shock expirence...
How do i take off the springs? i need to know

Take a look at the pics...see if ya can help

Also, if you look at this pappy, could you powdercoar these spring and some other small things to? the paint is chipped, i need to know how to take the spring off....

300EXrider02
03-06-2003, 06:15 PM
also

Mr_Bub400ex
03-06-2003, 10:55 PM
u spelt shock wrong on ur title....:D :devil

Zingnut
03-07-2003, 07:38 AM
I am no expert but can lend some help to you on this.

The "piece of metal that slides up and down around the shock" is the crossover ring it is supposed to have play in it and should be free to move. This is there to only allow the small upper spring to collapse so far before transfering (crossingover) weight or force to the larger spring.

Then to remove the spring you will have to collapse the rear spring. I use a vise grip with a cloth wrapped around the spring so as not to scratch the spring. Then near the top of the upper small spring that is the preload adjuster clip. You will be able to move this slightly down to reveal the retaining clip holding it in position. Move the clip near the top of the shock so the springs will have plenty of play. Count the number of positions from the top the clip was so you can return it to the proper setting when reassembling. Then release the bottom spring. You will now be able to move the black rubber bump stop from the bottom of the shock up the shaft about an inch. Then you can see how the bottom retaining clip is held on it should just slip right off and out the slot. Then remove the springs.

Hope this helps Iam not all that good at expaining things.

d-14 rider 27
03-07-2003, 10:57 AM
yup, the first thing, metal ring, crossover, supposed to move. the top ring that you say you can spin, my peps do the same thing, no big deal, just means your rinnin your springs kinda loose, just make sure that with it topped out, that the spring is still keeping tension on it so it cant move up or down. now to remove the springs, i had works before too, but i cant remember how they come off, i would think its similar to pep. get your springs compressed somewhat so you can see the clip under that ring you said was spinnin, move it up a few notches, now your springs got some play, now on the bottom of the shock, theres a ring that looks like a Cannondale symbol almost, you slide this up and away from the bottom of the shock, then the open ond of the c you should get the shaft thru it. hope this helps, and be careful when messin with the circlip, if the springs get let go, youll get your finners pinched and it urts like hell. the best way i ever found to compress springs is with a wrence the size of the shaft, sand the burrs off it so you dont scratch the chrome, and either stick it in there and pry, or you might be able to turn it using the spring coils as threads.

300EXrider02
03-07-2003, 01:10 PM
alright thats what i needed to know thanks a lot

MojaveKing
03-08-2003, 07:21 PM
smart...u say....i made the Student of the Month for March:cool: :p

smart yea rigth!! must be some Misstake:eek: :huh :D