PDA

View Full Version : What a Disaster!!! My poor motor :(

Grande Huevos
06-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Well long story short lately I was having some issues with my bike running like crap. So I was busy chasing jetting and electrical issues, But as it turns out I never had a prob with any of that!! After installing my brand new stator I took her for a spin and about 100 yards down the road when I didnt notice a differance in how it was running I turned around to head back thats when I heard a not so pleasant sound come from my motor!! :mad: I started pulling it apart and found that part of my crank broke into about 4 pieces, cracked my piston skirt and a reed pedal had broken a chunk off and was sucked out chewing up my piston and dome!! When I built this motor the HotRods crank that was already in it was THE ONLY thing that I didnt replace with new because when I split my cases to install all new barings and seals I checked it and it appeared to be in good condition. Not sure what went wrong first other then a cracked reed that eventually broke Im assuming when the crank went??? Either way it really sucks and now I get to start over again..........The good news is that my cylinder some how is still in perfect condition and my bike will be rebuilt stronger and FASTER!!:D

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd493/jakes2c/piston3.jpg

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd493/jakes2c/piston.jpg

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd493/jakes2c/piston2.jpg

The part that broke apart is on the right side of the rod, it almost looks like a washer not sure what its called?

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd493/jakes2c/crank.jpg

Motofool250r
06-06-2012, 01:14 AM
its a rod spacer/washer

but its kind of odd that this flew apart. means your crank might have too much end play and is binding the rod in place

mount a dial indicator on the stator side, and rotate the crank and tell us how many thousandths the crank moves in and out.

when you get er apart do some searching on either welding the tins on that hot rod crank or removing them to solve crank tin problems in the future.

Grande Huevos
06-06-2012, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by Motofool250r
its a rod spacer/washer

but its kind of odd that this flew apart. means your crank might have too much end play and is binding the rod in place

mount a dial indicator on the stator side, and rotate the crank and tell us how many thousandths the crank moves in and out.

when you get er apart do some searching on either welding the tins on that hot rod crank or removing them to solve crank tin problems in the future.

I will do so but it will prob be be a month or two before I open it up. I dont have the time or money to fix it right now.. I want to check into seeing what it will cost just to send it to sombody and have them do it , I for sure am going to send my cylinder in for some better port work. Right now its just straight from esr with there 9 port job. Also gonna check on what cranks are the best and if theres any tricks to make them stronger, kinda like your saying with the tins. Esr claims they have oem cranks but service honda says they are discontinued??? I have always heard good things about hotrods but Ive also heard that theyve merged with Wiseco in the past year and now they are junk?

crlt250r
06-06-2012, 08:16 AM
Looks like my failure from a couple weeks ago...

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa378/Tater_woods/IMAG0255.jpg

Mony25
06-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Esr don't have any oem cranks they are discontinued. They still show them on their website I tried to order one a few months back and they told me they were all gone.

Grande Huevos
06-06-2012, 04:36 PM
yeah thats what I was thinking. So are there any other cranks out there other then hotrods or wiseco? Is there any sort of mod that could be done to a hotrods to make it stronger and more reliable?

bigE28
06-07-2012, 05:45 AM
i would be careful with wiseco! my buddy put one in and second ride it blue up!! came to find out the tinning on the crank came off and TORE motor all up. wiseco did pay to have motor rebuilt but only after talking to a rep and he said they had problems with the tinning on the cranks.if not for asking the rep he would have had to eat the costs himself.

Grande Huevos
06-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by bigE28
i would be careful with wiseco! my buddy put one in and second ride it blue up!! came to find out the tinning on the crank came off and TORE motor all up. wiseco did pay to have motor rebuilt but only after talking to a rep and he said they had problems with the tinning on the cranks.if not for asking the rep he would have had to eat the costs himself. yeah I'm def not using wiseco I've heard they are junk. And like 2 weeks ago I have a friend who put one in his and it came apart and destroyed his motor as well! I was just curious if what I heard about them merging and being the same is true or not? Only thing going in my motors wiseco is the piston

Motofool250r
06-07-2012, 01:46 PM
The newer Hot rods supposed to be good.

a Pro port job is gonna cost you 450-500$

my motor builder charges 450$ tear down and build. the rest is parts or machine work.

bore 50-75 piston kit figure 200 and a dome cut for 75-150

a new hot rods is 250$

so thats what your lookin at right now.

aztecgwynn
06-08-2012, 01:20 PM
What I have been doing is hoarding as many used OEM cranks and cyliders that I can preferably 87-89. So when it comes time to rebuild a crank or a cylinder I can send cranks to see if they are rebuildable so I use the aftermarket route on a limited basis. And here in Az and So Cal there are plenty of those things laying around.

mineralgrey01gt
06-11-2012, 08:18 AM
My brother runs a Hotrods crank from ESR and they welded something on the crank that has caused failures in the past and it never gave him one lick of trouble. He did have a hotrods crank before that wasnt welded and it came apart. Id call ESR and see what they weld on it. I cant remember the name of the piece right off hand

Motofool250r
06-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
My brother runs a Hotrods crank from ESR and they welded something on the crank that has caused failures in the past and it never gave him one lick of trouble. He did have a hotrods crank before that wasnt welded and it came apart. Id call ESR and see what they weld on it. I cant remember the name of the piece right off hand

crank tins welded or removed is best

mineralgrey01gt
06-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Motofool250r
crank tins welded or removed is best

That sounds right. Like I said he has his welded and it runs great. Still a small hesitation in lower rpm's but its a carb problem. We havent had time to go sort it out