PDA

View Full Version : No Spark

jman7290
06-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Any ideas, I ohmed the stater and it checked out ok. I put my stock coil and cdi back on, new spark plug, ohmed out the spark plug cap and it was ok, but still no spark. I was out riding and it just died, no hesitations or anything. It just shut right down. Any ideas on what else I can check?

CJM
06-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Timing possibly and grounds.

But Id change to a brand new plug first to be sure.

jman7290
06-05-2012, 06:27 PM
I was hoping to here from you! I did change the plug and mess around with it, but had along day at work so I called it a night. I will check the timing tomorrow, but even if the timing is off shouldn't I still have spark but just not at the proper time or not?

CJM
06-05-2012, 06:36 PM
it would still have spark if the timing was off. BUt its always good to check it no matter what.

Only other thing I can think of off the top of my head would be a bad stator.

jman7290
06-05-2012, 07:14 PM
I also did the stater coil resistance check and it read 0.2. And it is supposed to be between 0.1 to 1.0 ohms so that's ok. You check that by pulling apart the four wire connector located on the back left side behind the voltage regulator beside the air box. There is a blue/yellow wire, a green wire, a pink wire, and a yellow wire. You set your meter to ohms and check the resistance between the pink wire and the yellow wire on the stator side of the connector. Then you also check all four wires to ground and they should all read infinite (open), and they do. So I am guessing the stator is ok. My starter clutch did break all apart a couple of years ago and groved the magnet up on the flywheel so maybe that got worse. I got a spare that I ordered, but have not put it on yet so I will try that tomorrow!

jman7290
06-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Even though it ohmed out ok it was bad. The six allen head bolts holding the starter clutch to the back of the flywheel came loose and rubbed against the stator and chewed up some of the windings. Ebay here I come! I guess now since its all apart I can put Wheelies 3 degree key in that I bought over a year ago!!!

CJM
06-07-2012, 06:46 PM
:D

jman7290
06-11-2012, 05:25 PM
The 05 is alive! The used stator I ordered off of Ebay came today. I slaped her in and she fired right up. Thanks CJM!

CJM
06-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Welcome jman, glad you got it sorted out and your back up and running!