PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Help!

HondaRacing83
06-04-2012, 05:38 PM
so ive been tweaking with my rear shock and i have been trying to get it to where its about 7inches up at the footpegs with me sitting on it like reccomended. Ive almost got the preload backed all the way off and im only at like 9 inches. I started with like 10 1/4. I weigh like 170-175 last time i checked and im exactly 6foot tall.

dxcody
06-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Thats because your shock is too stiff.

Its needs resprung for your weight in order to set it up according to GTT chart.

You dont wanna back the preload all the way off when you have your standard spring on there anyways, it makes it ride rough and alot less travel.

01boneless
06-04-2012, 07:04 PM
never gonna get to 7inch with a stock shock and 20in tires man

b0rn c0nfused
06-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Buy a 450r rear spring and put it on, will lower it a little...about 30 bucks for the spring on ebay.

dxcody
06-04-2012, 07:26 PM
or you could buy the gtt rear spring for your body weight and riding type.... ;)

HondaRacing83
06-04-2012, 07:40 PM
ok, what should i have the sag set at for the stock spring?

Stickman400
06-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Yea, Cody's right man, your back shock is too stiff. The reason I posted that link is because I thought you and pdpdrummer123 had re-worked rear shocks. If your rear shock hasn't been re-valved and re-sprung for your weight and the GT link (if you have one or plan on getting one) then it's highly unlikely that you will get the amount of sag that you want out of it. I know member dustin j runs a shock building business and he was the one who re-worked my back shock for me and it was perfect the first time. I think it was $50 for the re-valve and then around $20 for shipping. He's a hell of alot cheaper than Jet or GT Thunder. He can also do a re-spring for a dual rate kit if you need that, but I doubt you do. That's only needed if you weigh over 200lbs.

Jayskee
06-05-2012, 06:28 AM
Or he could get a fat girl on back lol

400man
06-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Jayskee

guaranteed to work! comes with warranty also :p

HondaRacing83
06-06-2012, 01:59 PM
alright. is there anything i could do to tweak the stock suspension better?

01boneless
06-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
alright. is there anything i could do to tweak the stock suspension better?
depends what u mean, u can set rebound compression and ride hight (preload)

Stickman400
06-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Yeah, boneless mentioned everything you can tweak on it in stock form, and that don't do much of anything. Stock shocks suck.

01boneless
06-07-2012, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Stickman400
Stock shocks suck.

pretty much haha

Rohr397
06-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Jayskee

Mine got annoying so I returned it :devil:

fearlessfred
06-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Even if the stock shock sucks,there is no reason that you cant make it the best that it can be until you decide to go after market .you should set your sag at 1/3 of the travel which is close enough to 3 1/2 inchs .the shock needs to be fully extended and measured at a point above the axle on the frame down to the axle. using the same to points measure with you sitting on the bike fully geared up. the differance between the two measurements should be around 3 1/2 on stock bike. I like to run the compression and rebound on the lightest settings i can get away with. compression adjusters are kind of a joke and if possible should be run on a light setting and really have very little to do with bottom out control. the spring is what controls bottom out. the rebound adjuster has an effect on both rebound and compression so dont go crazy with that either .you want the bike to bottom on the biggest thing your gonna hit. the 1/3 rule would be for a stock bike. long travel would be greater .hopefully dustin will come on here and dial you in further.he is sharp and very helpfull on this forum. someone said he has his own shop,he doesnt advertize that ,but he is someone i would trust to work on my stuff if i didnt do it for myself

TheAwesomehonda
06-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by fearlessfred
Even if the stock shock sucks,there is no reason that you cant make it the best that it can be until you decide to go after market .you should set your sag at 1/3 of the travel which is close enough to 3 1/2 inchs .the shock needs to be fully extended and measured at a point above the axle on the frame down to the axle. using the same to points measure with you sitting on the bike fully geared up. the differance between the two measurements should be around 3 1/2 on stock bike. I like to run the compression and rebound on the lightest settings i can get away with. compression adjusters are kind of a joke and if possible should be run on a light setting and really have very little to do with bottom out control. the spring is what controls bottom out. the rebound adjuster has an effect on both rebound and compression so dont go crazy with that either .you want the bike to bottom on the biggest thing your gonna hit. the 1/3 rule would be for a stock bike. long travel would be greater .hopefully dustin will come on here and dial you in further.he is sharp and very helpfull on this forum. someone said he has his own shop,he doesnt advertize that ,but he is someone i would trust to work on my stuff if i didnt do it for myself FYI The front shocks don't even have compression or rebound adjustment so they are very limited. Not sure if you knew that.

Stickman400
06-08-2012, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
FYI The front shocks don't even have compression or rebound adjustment so they are very limited. Not sure if you knew that. The way he is talking about setting up your suspension I think he may know that.

TheAwesomehonda
06-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Stickman400
FYI, the way he is talking about setting up your suspension I think he may know that. Well he can have fun putting his the compression or rebound on the lightest setting he can get away with on his stock 400ex front shocks...... lol :huh

dxcody
06-09-2012, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
Well he can have fun putting his the compression or rebound on the lightest setting he can get away with on his stock 400ex front shocks...... lol :huh

This is why you get bashed, you talk when you have no idea whats going on.

We are talking about the REAR shock. Not the fronts.

HondaRacing83
06-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Didnt I clarify awhile ago TheAwesomeHonda is NOT to reply or be active in any of my threads.

TheAwesomehonda
06-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
Didnt I clarify awhile ago TheAwesomeHonda is NOT to reply or be active in any of my threads. No actually i didn't catch that... lol Sorry about that he didn't specify in that post if he was talking about that front or rear.

HondaRacing83
06-09-2012, 09:11 AM
this whole thread was about the rear. you finish the puzzle