PDA

View Full Version : kfx450r modding questions....

Axo24
06-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Just got a 2008 kfx450r. I've familiar with my trx450 with a carb etc,but this is my first fuel injected ride. I've read some info on here and theres a few acronyms that are kinda confusing. So anyway...I'm looking to get a noticable power increase out of this thing. It has a Motoworks pipe on it which I know isnt a dasa.....but it was on when I got it and dont plan on taking it off at this point. I see alot of talk about "procoms", "PC3's", "FCI's".....not sure what most of that is. I have some clues,but can someone please help explain these and what they will do and why I need them so I'm sure.

....like I said,I want to gain some good noticable power. Possible eventually a cam or stroker or something down the road,but need to know where to start. Thanks guys....

nyates450
06-04-2012, 07:00 PM
FCI is fuel customs intake. It is the most popular one out there and possibly the best. Some kind of intake is needed to see any kinds of gains. Noticable difference from it alone.

PC3 is for powercommander. Simply a fuel tuner. Will need somekind of tuner with an intake upgrade.

The procom is an ecu. Can get programmable or nonprogrammable. It does your fuel tuning aswell as ignition timing.

Axo24
06-04-2012, 07:51 PM
So if I get a procom.....I dont need a PC3? Is that correct? I definetly plan on getting a FCI and a procom ecu....thanks

Kawie450r
06-05-2012, 06:59 AM
Yes if you have the procom the pc3 is not needed.

piejazz96
06-08-2012, 10:05 PM
The kfx450rs stock from the factory have an extremely restrictive intake tube and suffer from it badly. Fuel customs makes a tube along with a k&n style air filter and you can also buy a box with it too that really wakes up the kawasaki. If you don't want to buy that you can buy an LTR tube. With a little work it gives similar improvements. The big thing with the kawasakis is the "big three." This is exhaust, intake and fuel control. At this point with just an exhaust, you don't need a fuel controller. When you add the intake, you want to consider getting a fuel controller. These can be quite confusing for the first user because it's basically an excel sheet with a plethura of numbers and percents on it. If you don't want to deal with this, you might want to consider a Dynojet PCV or the Yoshimura PIM2 (this one is much more expensive) with the O2 sensor bung attached to the header. Both having the option of an autotune.

Those are pretty much the basics of the "big three." If you are looking for any these parts, you should contact Ken at KBMotorsports or look at their website. They have "Big Three" packages for sale.

http://www.kbmotorsportsonline.com/

Axo24
06-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Thanks guys. I'm definetly getting a Fuel Customs intake and the the procom I guess to go along with my exhaust. As long as I get any kind of noticable power increase and mantain a good clean running engine with no bad habits....I'll be pleased....

Kawie450r
06-13-2012, 05:39 PM
You will be pleased with the big 3. Completely different quad with the fuel customs intake. Stock 06-08 kx dirt bike cams are a great mod as well. Relatively cheap and a good power increase. After that I would focus on suspension as the kawis stock shocks are horrible.

Axo24
06-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Kawie450r
You will be pleased with the big 3. Completely different quad with the fuel customs intake. Stock 06-08 kx dirt bike cams are a great mod as well. Relatively cheap and a good power increase. After that I would focus on suspension as the kawis stock shocks are horrible.

Yeah...the shocks feel good pushing on them by hand etc, but combined with the hard seat...makes for a sore *** after a days riding,lol...but no big deal. Wondering if I can take out some of the dampening from the rear shock,but didnt look at it yet...

Kawie450r
06-13-2012, 07:46 PM
Haha ya the seat is hard. Quad tech seat does wonders. Revalve and respring on the stick shocks is a good option to.