PDA

View Full Version : FS bans alcohol at Oregon dunes

400EXManiac
03-06-2003, 04:00 PM
Just announced this week, the Siuslaw National Forest is banning alcohol possession in off-highway vehicle riding areas in the Sand Lake Recreation Area and the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area.

For more information see:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/siuslaw/alcoholban/index.htm

tricke
03-06-2003, 05:36 PM
glad to hear it! hopfully it will cut down on all the accidents.

you should also check out www.sandlakeduners.com

New-400ex_guy
03-06-2003, 07:04 PM
i dont drink but i foresee the blm getting rich with the number of fines they hand out. :D

its really crappy for the people who dont drink and ride and also like to see naked women ;) .

Big - D Racing
03-06-2003, 08:07 PM
That sucks!!!! They better never do that at galmis, or gordon's.

BigThumper33
03-06-2003, 08:23 PM
Its better to have alcohol taken away then the dunes themselves.

86atc250r
03-06-2003, 08:28 PM
Cool deal...

Nearly all the stupid stuff that happens at riding areas is related to alcohol...

Many accidents, litter on the trail (i.e. beer cans), crap left in the camping/parking area (i.e. beer cans), fights, etc...

The dunes are for riding - if you need to drink, go to the bar, stay home, or get help....

VegasEx'r
03-06-2003, 10:03 PM
Quads can still drink alcohol, right?

:D :macho :blah

03-06-2003, 10:10 PM

Damn Vegas I was starting to wonder if I was the only one thinking that :D

Then again beerballs and quads dont mix well :devil

Str8Wicked
03-07-2003, 08:42 AM
What do you mean.. no drinking and driving:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Glamis has had this for a while and as long as you ain't doing really stupid shyt than they never hassel you...

AndrewRRR
03-07-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by VegasEx'r

:D :macho :blah

I think my R might become an alcoholic soon.
LOL, I can picture it now, guys drinking methanol from their 5 gallon scribner jugs to avoid getting popped :confused2

zephead400ex
03-07-2003, 12:18 PM
Is it still ok if I huff gas? I hope that doesn't get baned on the dunes!

lmao

QuadTrix6
03-07-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by BigThumper33
Its better to have alcohol taken away then the dunes themselves.

good point !!!

400thumper
03-07-2003, 04:19 PM
I'm with you Big-D Racing ,that would suck big time .What would i do with my 6 pack rack ? lol

tricke
03-08-2003, 01:35 PM
you could always use it to hold a sixpack soft cooler and some laughing gas! :devil

airheadedduner
03-09-2003, 02:08 PM
Most of the accidents I see are from the dunes being too crowded. The ban on alky is good. On major hollidays it can get a little wild. But I doubt it has the effect they are going for. I know that it won't stop most from drinking.

AFTERMARKET
03-10-2003, 12:38 PM
One word.....

WOW

AndrewRRR
03-10-2003, 03:29 PM
I do hope it cuts down on some of the stupidity and accidents that happen because of the alcohol, but honestly I don't think it will have much effect at all. From what I heard, DUII, Open container, and the other Oregon alcohol laws still apply on the dunes, so if you are riding around drunk they have always been able to give you a DUI citation. Thinking about how many people are at the dunes, and how few cops there are, I don't know how they'd catch anybody. I can't remember the last time I saw any officers around the "bowl" at sandlake at night, except when an accident happens.

twisted threads
03-10-2003, 03:38 PM
I would half to agree.. I never seem to see that many cops at sandlakes but I do seem to see more of them at Coos Bay. I think its would be good to crack down on people drinking and driveing at the dunes but I think that there is no way to get rid of alky all together. TO Many people.

airheadedduner
03-10-2003, 09:39 PM
With our budget problems here in OR I bet we see even less sand cops. I don't see how they are gonna enforce this to the extent they want. This pisses me off. There isn't one freakin accredited public school here yet they keep coming out with new bull**** laws. I guess this means I can put off buying a quiet silencer for a little longer though:p :D

ThorChick
03-10-2003, 11:21 PM
They may not be able to enforce this law to the full extent, but maybe it will at least keep some of the larger parties in check. Most likely they are who this ban is targeted at. For those of us who can be responsible and stay at camp when we're drinking, keep our cans out of the fire, and don't get completley out of control we'll probably be okay.
I've been to some of the ragers at Florence and see why they are putting this ban into affect. I've seen kids dragged through a bonfire and fights break out for no reason and seen a group of people beat the crap outta some kid for accidentally riding through their camp. Those people are out of control and something needs to stop them. Maybe this will.
As for myself, maybe I'll try sneaking a milk jug with raspberry vodka and lemonade out to camp next time we're at Florence. Then again, $5000 is a lot of money and maybe I won't.....

rhandw69
03-12-2003, 10:36 PM
Uhm,
Rasberryvodka and lemonade huh,,,,hmmmm, never tried that one. SOund good though.

I think that yes it will be hard to enforce. BUt all it will take is for a few more stupid accidents to occur at the dunes (especially sand lake) and then whats going to be the last resort. Pretty soon the dunes will only be a day use only area.
I really dont have a huge problem with the new law, problem is I sand camp. But if it were targeting the specific large groups who routinely cause havoc, than im hoping after reading the new laws,,,they wont even show up. Than its better for the rest of us. I like to sit at our camp and have a few drink. I like to sit at camp and have alot of drinks. But I think Im pretty responsible enough to know that i need to keep my butt at camp and just enjoy the company rather than trying to be invincible when im doing it. I talked with a ranger at coos bay and he was telling me about the number of rapes, stabbings and fights at boxcar during the big weekends. Its unreal.

JOEX
03-12-2003, 11:29 PM
They are targeting the larger groups people who are getting drunk and causing problems....fights, rapes, crashes(these are not accidents), harassing other campers, etc. I think they will be narrowing their enforcement to the times that these "activities" are taking place i.e. weekends and holidays.
It is unfortunate that these few irresponsible, immature punk@sses had to make this law neccessary.
This law doesn't affect me directly too much, being a responsible drinker, I don't get *****faced and go riding, but sometimes I like to have a beer between crusing around.

Joe

rhandw69
03-13-2003, 08:26 AM
Perfectly said!