PDA

View Full Version : Bent header flanges

BoneStockHonda
06-03-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm trying to take the stock header off and I never had it off before. It looks like the nuts were cranked down too hard and the outsides of the flanges are bent in because of it. Anybody else have this problem? I've been trying to straighten them with a screwdriver and hammer so I can wiggle them off and I'm not having too much luck...

CJM
06-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Prybar and working them back and forth work.

Once you get them off find someone with a heavy duty oxy/acetylene torch so you can bend them back.

Worst case, cut the suckers off buy a new header off ebay for cheap.

BoneStockHonda
06-03-2012, 06:27 PM
I have a new header the old one cracked so that's why I'm taking it off. I'll probably just end up cutting it off.

dxcody
06-03-2012, 07:44 PM
One thing to watch for is usually if the flanges are bent, the studs are bent in the head. Im gonna take mine out and use actual bolts.

Sounds like a much better plan.

TheAwesomehonda
06-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by BoneStockHonda
I have a new header the old one cracked so that's why I'm taking it off. I'll probably just end up cutting it off. I'm confused :huh what are you cutting off?

Drfat400ex
06-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
I'm confused :huh what are you cutting off?
The flange peice, the part that slides on the header and has a hole in each side that the studs go through. Never had the header off?

TheAwesomehonda
06-04-2012, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Drfat400ex
The flange peice, the part that slides on the header and has a hole in each side that the studs go through. Never had the header off? lol now i get it ok sorry about that.. Yes i've had my header off :macho

Jayskee
06-05-2012, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
One thing to watch for is usually if the flanges are bent, the studs are bent in the head. Im gonna take mine out and use actual bolts.

Sounds like a much better plan.
Dx, that's sounds like a good idea actually. I never thought about that!! Hope you don't mind me stealing that idea too. I just wished they made the flanges a tad thicker. I know we weren't. It suppose to muscle them down but some of just never learn( myself included..)