PDA

View Full Version : Just got 426 back, leaking oil from head stud

ansimation
06-03-2012, 04:28 PM
I just got my 426 back from the shop and it's leaking oil out of the head stud that's located right in front of the spark plug. I tried adding 2 washers to it and then tightening it a little but it's still leaking. I'll be taking it back to my buddy's shop tomorrow so he can mess with it some more but I wanted to see if you guys had any ideas why this is happening and how I might be able to fix it?

I've added an image and circled the stud so you can see which one I'm talking about in-case anyone is confused

http://i.imgur.com/n8pOY.jpg

AtvKid4Eva
06-03-2012, 04:37 PM
it looks to me that is is leaking from the valve cover gasket right around the bolt and running down to where the nut is. Id replace the valve cover gasket and see if it stops.

dxcody
06-03-2012, 05:08 PM
^^^^^^

deff

It looks like its draining down from the valve cover

ansimation
06-05-2012, 06:24 AM
Sure enough, that's what it was. There was a bad spot on the head apparently he filled in with some permatex. Doesn't seem to be leaking now but the clutch is slipping pretty bad. Tried adjusting it yesterday but you switch gears and hit the gas and it just revs and takes a few seconds for the gear to actually grab. Thinking of a tuck clutch for now since they're cheap enough

dxcody
06-05-2012, 07:02 AM
i love my tusk clutch w/ HD springs.

You got guys that love them and guys that hate them. I love them. for $45 you cant beat it.

ansimation
06-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Lol, I didn't realize it was that cheap... For some reason I was thinking it was around 140 bucks. Maybe because I was looking at the uber expensive Hinson stuff before I dunno. Either way for $60 with a gasket my son will be back in business sooner than we thought.

He's been waiting a couple months to ride and we get it back then oil is leaking from it and we get that fixed then the clutch is slipping. I'll be happy when I can put him head to head against my 426 and see how his new setup works.

When I rode it down the street yesterday trying to set the rings I was haulin arse in 5th and barely on the throttle. I'd hit it and it would just rev because of the clutch but when that thing is all set it's going to be beastly! Feels like it's faster than mine but we'll see after the new clutch.

JOHNDOE83
06-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Ya the tusk clutch kit is awesome!

I bought the kit with HD springs it was $45 and lasted me almost 5 years, when I replaced it the clutch wasnt even slipping or worn out at all. I only replaced it because I had a big race coming up and wanted to be sure it was good.

Thats with heavy drag racing with 21in paddle tires, and street racing wth 22in drag radials.

"Never slipped"