PDA

View Full Version : How to get first credit card?

SpasticR450
06-03-2012, 04:18 PM
I have no credit history. I want zero interest for a year. What card and how?

HondaRacing83
06-03-2012, 05:33 PM
a card to adam and eve would fit you well.

sangheraent
06-03-2012, 06:25 PM
good luck on that. You have no credit history which means your high risk. Unless you have a very good income at a job you have worked at for a fairly long time your probably not going to get anything less then 10%.

But I'm no expert and have seen wierder things happen.

honda400ex2003
06-03-2012, 06:41 PM
id start out looking at a citi forward card if you are still in school or a us bank card thats similar. I have both, no fees on both of them. forward has points also so thats good.

the forward is a student card so it is designed for your situation.

https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-cards/citi-forward/

if you are working now you will have a much better chance of getting it. if you arent now, id wait a bit until you start working for the summer and have a bit of work time behind you so that you can put down your income and how long you have been working at the place.

steve

chucked
06-04-2012, 05:53 AM
Your first credit card will have about 28% interest right off the bat

honda250xrider
06-04-2012, 05:59 AM
zero % interest is not going to happen.

slightlybent47
06-04-2012, 08:12 AM
The interest rate does not mater if you pay it off every month. Once you have used it and kept it paid off for a year, then call and request a lower rate. If they don’t drop the rate close it out and apply for another one with someone else. Once they see you are a good risk they will usually compete for your business. If you receive an offer at a lower rate then you have now then call the card co. and request a lower rate and explain you have been offered a lower rate with another co. and sometimes they will drop your rate to keep you with there co.

It’s a game you can’t win and one you can get in financial trouble with if you are not carful. Never buy something with your card if you don’t have the money in your pocket.
If you want to buy something, save the money up before you buy the item and pay it off as soon as you get the bill.

honda250xrider
06-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
The interest rate does not mater if you pay it off every month. Once you have used it and kept it paid off for a year, then call and request a lower rate. If they don’t drop the rate close it out and apply for another one with someone else. Once they see you are a good risk they will usually compete for your business. If you receive an offer at a lower rate then you have now then call the card co. and request a lower rate and explain you have been offered a lower rate with another co. and sometimes they will drop your rate to keep you with there co.

It’s a game you can’t win and one you can get in financial trouble with if you are not carful. Never buy something with your card if you don’t have the money in your pocket.
If you want to buy something, save the money up before you buy the item and pay it off as soon as you get the bill.

Good information- the only caveat is: I would not go around opening and closing credit cards after another one beats your existing ones offer. This may actually hurt your credit.

slightlybent47
06-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by honda250xrider
Good information- the only caveat is: I would not go around opening and closing credit cards after another one beats your existing ones offer. This may actually hurt your credit.

That’s why I say it’s a game you can’t win. It will cost you money to get and keep good credit. It’s like gambling, the house always wins.

skyeryder
06-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Stay away from them they are evil, I learned the hard way.... Get you a department store one to help build credit (old navy, sears, etc...) If you don't have the cash you don't need it.

Balaz_73*00
06-04-2012, 10:36 AM
You'll need a credit card for some situations, like renting a car or hotels. Most don't trust a debit card, and if they will let you use it they make you bring in a recent utility bill with a zero balance or something like that. Its a good idea to have one, but I never spend money I don't have in my checking account. I do almost exclusively use my CC for reward points and such. But I pay it off every statement. They haven't made a penny on me :) My first rate was 12% and I still have that today.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
06-04-2012, 02:39 PM
I want a free Ferrari, which dealership is best to go to?

Honda4life05
06-04-2012, 04:46 PM
The one that accepts credit cards :D

300ex_#387
06-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Balaz_73*00
You'll need a credit card for some situations, like renting a car or hotels. Most don't trust a debit card, and if they will let you use it they make you bring in a recent utility bill with a zero balance or something like that. Its a good idea to have one, but I never spend money I don't have in my checking account. I do almost exclusively use my CC for reward points and such. But I pay it off every statement. They haven't made a penny on me :) My first rate was 12% and I still have that today.

Just checked into my hotel and rented my car the other day with my debit card no questions asked. Works for me everytime.

Balaz_73*00
06-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Congratulations. I know for a fact Enterprise will give you the run around with a debit card and most nice hotels will require a CC

Pacheco_450r
06-04-2012, 07:48 PM
One good thing about credit cards vs. debit is if your number gets stolen, your account won't be drained while you wait to get reimbursed.

300ex_#387
06-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Congratulations. I know for a fact Enterprise will give you the run around with a debit card and most nice hotels will require a CC

I'm just saying most WILL accept debit for rental car and hotels.

extremeblastr
06-06-2012, 05:01 AM

i've always rented from enterprise and they've never given me a problem with a debit card. and i'm not sure what you mean by "nice" hotels but i've taken 3 trips with my wife now staying in rooms upward of 250 a night always paying with a debit card without an issue.

slightlybent47
06-06-2012, 05:51 AM
I used to have more then 10 credit cards but I’ve closed them all.
Now I only have one credit card, I’ve had it for 10 years, never used it once. The only reason I have it is for an emergency. Luckily I haven’t had one yet.lol I have a debit as well, but about 2 years ago I was viewing my statement on line and noticed charges that I had not made. I went to the bank and told them these were not mine. They took them off and I called the police and they came out to my house and I filled a report. About 2 months later I got a letter from the bank saying they had resolved the problem.
It only took someone 2 days to charge my account for over $600.00.
Evidently someone had gotten my info, probably at a gas station.

I saw a report on tv where thieves will put scanners on ATM machines so when you scan your card it captures your info. They said they have even found them in the ATM’s in bank lobbies.
I almost never use my card for anything anymore, I just pay cash.