PDA

View Full Version : Best Chain/Sprocket Set and Carrier?

cheater13
06-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Unfortunately, my xring chain is wore out after 9 months so I need a new kit. What's a good sprocket/chain setup? I heard steel sprockets and another x ring chain but where would be a good setup for under 100 bucks?

And I damaged my carrier alittle bit but it isn't affecting nothing as of now, but I'm wandering where I can get a good aftermarket carrier? Ebay has them for around 110 shipped new for the double bearing kind?

What do you guys think? I need to purchase my chain setup asap because it's tightened to its limit so all help is appreciated!

dxcody
06-02-2012, 11:08 PM
the DID chain is hands down the best in my opinion.

http://www.motosport.com/atv/JT-STEEL-CHAIN-AND-SPROCKET-KIT

thats what i would do if it was in your budget!

Drfat400ex
06-02-2012, 11:14 PM
I was just about to say JT sprockets, I hear sidewinder isn't bad too.

JOHNDOE83
06-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Im a fan of standard steel sprokets with standard steel chains, they are inexpensive and last a long time. If you gotta replace it or add a few links you dont break the bank either.

If you race alot you should use alloy sprokets with regular steel chains, not xring or oring.

I buy all that stuff from either cycle gear or rockymountainatv.com

Stickman400
06-03-2012, 11:11 AM
x2 on the JT Steel/DID, they last forever. I was going to try out Sidewinder awhile back when I needed a new chain and sprockets but they are really expensive, they have a lifetime warranty, but I can't justify spending $270 JUST on sprockets, and then another $110 for the chain. $380 on chain and sprockets? I don't think so.

If you want a good aftermarket carrier that isn't going to break the bank get one off of ebay. All the major brands are upwards of $200.

cheater13
06-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
the DID chain is hands down the best in my opinion.

http://www.motosport.com/atv/JT-STEEL-CHAIN-AND-SPROCKET-KIT

thats what i would do if it was in your budget!

Yeah i might get that but i like John's idea too. I mostly ride in fields and trails though so is there any chain kit cheaper than that DID one? I'm sure shipping will put that around 90 bucks for the whole kit..

**Well just today, something happened to my rearend and now the carrier is chipped and shredded to pieces inside. Looks like i need a new one now. I found one on ebay and it looks pretty good:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HONDA-TRX400EX-SPORTRAX-FORGED-REAR-AXLE-BEARING-CARRIER-2005-2009-/221021626184?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3375ea5f48&vxp=mtr

That has a lifetime warranty on but what do you guys think? I need to order it soon as possible so i need all the input i can get.

Or i just found this Lonstar one but it's more expensive and only has a 1 year warranty:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lone-Star-Axle-Bearing-Carrier-Honda-400EX-03-04-05-06-/380376431924?hash=item589033bd34&item=380376431924&pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

dxcody
06-03-2012, 12:18 PM
I have that exact same LSR one.

i like it

cheater13
06-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
I have that exact same LSR one.

i like it
Thanks cody, even though it's 20 bucks more, I always hear Lonestar being a good brand. I'll get that ordered tomorrow and i guess i'll save up for that DID chain but they don't have any of the 38 rear tooth sprockets in stock yet. Would i get the DID Standard 120 Link chain?

cheater13
06-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Anyone?

Stickman400
06-04-2012, 09:46 AM
I got the DID ATV X Ring when I ordered that kit. It's an additional $40 though. I have no clue what the other chains even are. You'd prolly have to go to their site to find out what's different about them.

dxcody
06-04-2012, 09:50 AM
I once heard that a MX rider ran 136 races on the DID ATV X RING chain and it never broke.

I believe it.

They are super good chains!

KKiowaTJ
06-06-2012, 11:36 PM
I have ran both the gold top dollar chain and the cheapest parts unlimited chain made. The parts unlimited lasted twice the time and never caused a problem. Easy to clean and lube with WD40 and i ride on the rear wheels alot and never had a stretching problem.
Just find out the chain size/pitch and get the links as many or more and cut it down. Makes it even cheaper if you buy one to fit yourself. To each their own, Good luck either way

cheater13
06-07-2012, 08:02 AM
Yeah I think I'm just goin to get a kit off eBay that has the gold plated xring chain and steel sprockets for 90 shipped

chronicsmoke
06-07-2012, 08:15 AM
I'd get a good sprocket and a good quality chain.. my engine cases are too valuable to me to risk it on a cheap chain.

I tried an EK yellow standard chain last year (it was SUPPOSED to be o-ring, I got screwed over on e-bay) and it lasted 2-3 months TOPS before it was stretched too far that I'd have to cut links out.. Gave me an uneasy feeling so I switched to an X-Ring DID and never had an issue for the rest of the year..

IMO: You get what you pay for

cheater13
06-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
I'd get a good sprocket and a good quality chain.. my engine cases are too valuable to me to risk it on a cheap chain.

I tried an EK yellow standard chain last year (it was SUPPOSED to be o-ring, I got screwed over on e-bay) and it lasted 2-3 months TOPS before it was stretched too far that I'd have to cut links out.. Gave me an uneasy feeling so I switched to an X-Ring DID and never had an issue for the rest of the year..

IMO: You get what you pay for
I agree but this one is pretty good I'm sure

300668343724 - eBay item number

I just don't have the money to get a 120 dollar chain and sprockets..